Props to Ruger Service

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ncrobb

Single-Sixer
I mentioned several months back that I had an old stainless Bisley Vaquero that jumped time. The original owner had used it for cowboy action shooting and the cylinder notches and bolt took a battering. It shot dead on with 250 gr lead at 25 yds but the trigger was so light it had to be measured in ounces. The area around the hammer and trigger pins had scratches that were pretty deep. I finally called Ruger Service and sent it back. They called and told me the cost for a new cylinder, reworking the trigger and polishing out the scratches. I told them to forget about polishing it. A couple days later the service tech called me and said he had fitted a new cylinder and lock work and asked me why I had declined having it polished. I told him I was wasn't worried about how it looked since I had planned on removing the billboard and shot blasting it to give it a matt finish. He said it looked funny and if I didn't mind he would like to polish it so it looked right. During the conversation I told him that I liked the crescent ejector rods on the new Vaqueros. So today, after a scare with UPS delivering it to the wrong house - yes, adult signature required- and a frantic call to UPS, I got it back. I was surprised. It honestly looks new. The grips had the same couple dings and scuffs but they had managed to remove all the scratches around the pins and polished it back to almost a mirror. The trigger feels great and the tech installed a stainless crescent ejector and returned the original. I knew going into the cylinder replacement that it probably would come back under sized and it did. Pin gauges say the throats are a loose .451". I guess I will have to get that corrected first off. Any way, no complaints and a big thanks to Ruger Service.

Robb

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Undersized is normal with Ruger .45's , .452 is desired. Everyone states their throats were reamed to .4525 but that is what the reamer was ground to,what the throats end up at is another thing. Hopefully they are close to that but half a thousandth is usually an impossible target with hand reaming.
If that cylinder has uniform throats with a loose slip fit of a pin gauge at .451 , I doubt that I would bother to ream them. Shoot it first.

ncrobb

Single-Sixer
Oh yeah, as soon as it dries up I will run some .452" Oregon Trails through it. Its rained so much around here I saw the animals lining up by twos.

Latest posts