NYCPD Service Six sold at auction

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
Having recently bought a NYCPD Service Six for a winning bid of $305 I watched this GB auction with interest. The gun had the carry wear you'd expect and no box. Someone must have wanted it badly as the winning bid was $1176. After tax, shipping & transfer probably $1300. Seems it wasn't that long ago they could be had for $300-400.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
I saw that and was shocked it went for what it did. I bought one last year on gunbroker but it never made it to the NYPD. I'm a retired member of that department and have a bunch of other NYPD guns. I remember guys selling their DAO revolvers for $150 with leather gear and speed loaders.

Mine is an overrun that went to Davidsons. It was made very early on. The Job went to DAO in July of 1987 and mine was made in July of 1987. But I also know the academy staff heavily pushed the S&W so my gun must not have been in that first shipment. That first shipment must have been enough to satisfy demand because the GPNY came along in about 1989, so any unused Service Six guns were sent to Davidson's.

I wish mine had the star but no big deal. It is still an uncommon gun and the factory letter identities it as one made for the NYPD. I surely wouldn't pay $1200 for one.

stonebuster

Single-Sixer
The one I bought recently was 49 units prior to the $1200 gun and lettered as having shipped to the NYCPD but no star. It wasn't advertised as an NYCPD gun either which probably explains only a few bidders.I've another that lettered as an over run shipped to Davidsons. One former NYCPD officer that posted here several years ago said sometimes a non LE city official would be allowed to buy one of these Sixes. I wonder if that explained mine shipping to PD but not being stamped with star.

kbm6893

Single-Sixer
The ones that shipped but never got a star were likely guns from the first shipment that was enough to satisfy the demand. The S&W was heavily pushed and most cops chose the smith. That first shipment was probably enough to meet the needs. Those that were in police possession but not yet purchased would not have the star since that was applied before the gun was sold.

Mine never made it to the NYPD. The letter I got stated it was made for the NYPD and then sold to Davidson's as a project overrun.

Latest posts