Not ANOTHER which gun for bears?????

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I think I've mentioned several times that during my 30+ years in Alaska I mostly carried a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 Mag with hard casts. I can't remember how many know it all gun shop people explained that a double action gun was CRITICAL for bear protection and would begin clicking away with an empty gun. Well this video is PROOF positive a single action is just fine, and for proof they use a full 454 Freedom Arms, loaded with hot loads. 6 people shoot including Bryce Townsley and our own Max P. Since I don't know how to imbed I'll let you click on it. This is done by American Hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F71SPRFr_Y#t=178

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I thought all you needed was little bells and pepper spray! :wink:

Seriously tho, I think I'd be pulling the trigger at a lot more than 5 yds. At that distance you likely wouldn't get a chance to draw and fire at all before Mr. Brown took your head off.

CraigC

Hawkeye
This was posted on American Rifleman a few months ago. Great shooting and Bryce Towsley gained a fan after that display.

Kanook

Buckeye
So if I walk around with my 454 "cocked" and the bears only attack from the front of me, I should live.

Your video is
PROOF positive
that under controlled situations, the mighty 454 can be tamed.

On the out door channel I watched a show a couple of years ago, a guide running a boat up a river, for a guy who was bow hunting a big brown bear. Hunter's bow and arrows were put away. They came around a corner and a brown bear standing at the edge of the river came right at them. Guide drew his 44 Super Blackhawk and fired a shot pretty darn quick. Turned that bear right around.

I believe they were making a point. Either you can do it or you can't. Gun doesn't matter so much as people think. The bullet is pretty important as well.

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
Rumrunner if get down south of Mt. Vernon, Il. about 35 miles or so, we will help here at my range. We can give all my big bores a work out also.

CLAYPOOL

Single-Sixer
Rumrunner if get down south of Mt. Vernon, Il. about 35 miles or so, we will help here at my range. We can give all my big bores a work out also.