Opinion - Which grips?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ruger Super RedHawk Alaskan

I already know which grips I'm going with. I was just curious as to which grips you all like the best, the factory Hogue, factory Rosewood, or custom Maple?

D44E109F-3644-4B83-ABAC-B322A72DC501.jpeg

2E96B2D2-3917-4EA1-B390-237F6024AB34.jpeg

90D38E7D-E706-41CC-A595-FC7313B97F80.jpeg

trapperon

Blackhawk
I vote the factory rosewood. But I would suggest the gp100 compact size. Looks proportionately perfect and very manageable in 44 mag with the weight of your alaskan. 454 or 480 not so much!
Ron

Neezer

Bearcat
I have owned this model for a very long time. I have always loved the way super redhawk and gp100 look with the wood inserts, but in this case I feel best way to go is original hogue with finger grooves. I say this for the reasons that Hankus has stated

Thanks everyone for the replies. I was just curious and mostly interested in opinions on the cosmetic look aspect of the different grips, as I do realize the "benefits" of the Hogue grip for some.

I will say the "collector" in me wants to keep everything stock. But I knew from day one the factory Hogue grip was not an option for me with the 44mag Alaskan and planned to go with the GP100 w/Rosewood grip panels. Ran across Chig's grips while I was searching and couldn't resist. Had to see how they would look. ;)

Usually when or if I change grips, it's with a factory product like the rosewood panels. I ordered three different grips the same day. All but the compact set arrived before the revolver, which should be here any day.

I do things a bit differently since I am a collector and a shooter. My "shooters" have grips on them that I prefer and feel good to me and allow me to handle my revolers the best way for me. (See Contenders post above). They may be Hogue finger grip, Ruger OEM, or something else. Back in the day when I competed, I built a copmetition revolver from a GP100 and the grips that worked best for me in competition were the black rubber (composite?) Hogue finger groove monogrip. Fit my had like a glove and as such at one time I was ranked number 4 in the Governors 20 ranking in Delaware.

Now, in my collections (The Six Series DAs, GP100s, Redhawks and the other Ruger DAs, the guns stay completely stock, they way they came from the factory. That allowes the people who come to the gun shows where ROCS is invited to show their Rugers to see how they came from the factory and ask any questions about them. We actually get a lot of questions from people who, believe it or not, don't know that much about Rugers products and they want to know the who, what, where, when, how about our favorite firearms. I can then point out that this is how it came from the factory and then show them pictures of how people might "customize" their handguns (grips, sights, etc.) to make them shoot more accurately for them.

Last edited:

Cal30 1906

Single-Sixer
I do things a bit differently since I am a collector and a shooter. My "shooters" have grips on them that I prefer and feel good to me and allow me to handle my revolers the best way for me. (See Contenders post above). They may be Hogue finger grip, Ruger OEM, or something else. Back in the day when I competed, I built a copmetition revolver from a GP100 and the grips that worked best for me in competition were the black rubber (composite?) Hogue finger groove monogrip. Fit my had like a glove and as such at one time I was ranked number 4 in the Governors 20 ranking in Delaware.

Now, in my collections (The Six Series DAs, GP100s, Redhawks and the other Ruger DAs, the guns stay completely stock, they way they came from the factory.
I guess I play dress up with my revolvers and switch from Hogues to factory from time to time, when I use them in the field or hunt with them the Hogues are on them. An occasional day at the range I don't mind having the factory ones on them.
I have an affinity for N frame Smith &Wesson revolvers and Ruger equally and some of the prices I see for factory Smith grips make me want to keep them in good shape.

Latest posts