Ruger Gp100 Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

memaddog

Bearcat
When did Ruger stop making the GP100 Stainless with the double grips. I wasn't aware that these were made? All the ones I've seen up till this past weekend had the monogrip with the pin and grip panels. How come Ruger stopped making the Double Grips?
Thanks Guys!

hittman

Staff member
These grips and the Hogue rubbers they use now are, as far as I know, the only factory grips Ruger has ever used. That of course is not counting the new Clapp or Royal Phoenix editions.

Not sure what you mean by "double grip".

22/45 Fan

Hunter
rugerguy said:
must mean with the 'inserts' , we always liked them.
I never cared for that style grip and was pleased when my new GP came with the Hogue Monogrip. However, the Monogrip, while comfortable is ugly and has the finger grooves just where I don't want them.

I solved that problem by getting a Hoque Pao Ferro wood grip from CDNN and "customizing" it using a Dremel with a sanding drum, some hand fine sanding and the Dremel with a felt polishing disk and polishing compound. I removed the finger grooves, recontoured the palm swells. I polished the sanded areas to match the rest of the grip and used beeswax as a finish. It looks and feels great. Basically I now have a near duplicate of the grip on the "Match Champion" without the stippling but at half the cost.

wolfee

Blackhawk
If the insert grip is what you mean by "double" I believe the changeover was ABOUT 5 years ago. The ugly Hogues are great at soaking up recoil, the gorgeous insert grips are hard rubber and not too wide. I am a recoil whimp and can't take more than a few rounds of heavy magnum loads with them. It's also why I only buy GP's chambered 38 only!

GMan351

Single-Sixer
I think what the OP is talking about are the Ruger grips with inserts, but the first ones were two halves. They were not one piece rubber. They were a two piece rubber and used the wood inserts.

I believe they stopped using them because as with most two piece grips, the seam where they meet may be somewhat uneven. The one piece rubber took that seam out of the equation completely.

memaddog

Bearcat
GMan351 is correct, I have this one I purchased this past weekend and the serial number according to Ruger's web-site put it at 1988. The big plug in the grip frame will not come out, so the "New" one piece grips with wood panels will not go on. The 2 halve grips has a take-down pin inside one of the halves, where as the new ones have it under the wood grip panel. Wish I could go to the one piece. I guess I could, but would have to stretch the rubber part of the grip over that lug in the frame.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
memaddog said:
GMan351 is correct, I have this one I purchased this past weekend and the serial number according to Ruger's web-site put it at 1988. The big plug in the grip frame will not come out, so the "New" one piece grips with wood panels will not go on. The 2 halve grips has a take-down pin inside one of the halves, where as the new ones have it under the wood grip panel. Wish I could go to the one piece. I guess I could, but would have to stretch the rubber part of the grip over that lug in the frame.
When the GP-100 first came out it had the two-piece rubber grip with inserts as described. The grip locator pin was driven into the grip frame. I believe this pin can be driven out using care, supporting the gripframe around and under the pin, while using a good sized hammer to drive it out. When you get it out the correct size hole can be drilled into the gripframe for the new grip alignment pin. :D

GMan351

Single-Sixer
I have seen those grips before, that's why I knew about them, but I have not seen the frames they were on. Are you sure the grip locator pin won't come out? Is it metal? I'd like to see some pics if you could post them.

BIgMuddy

Blackhawk
I remember reading Skeeter Skelton's review of the then new GP100 in Shooting Times. I recall him mentioning that the two halves would spread apart under recoil. I think it was the only fault he found with the gun. I still have that issue.

I also have a set of those grips someplace too.

Dan

memaddog

Bearcat
Yep, tried taking the metal lug out, it won't budge a bit. I've shot some 125 grain jacket Hornady XTP that I had loaded hot a few years back in it, shot like a dream! Love this pistol! I found a 1988 Ruger Manual for it on ebay, it shows the 2 piece grips, with the take-down pin inside the grip half, just like I have, just to let you guys know.
Thanks for your input guys!

k22fan

Blackhawk
memaddog said:
[...] it, shot like a dream! Love this pistol! [...]

And it may become a bit of a collectors' item if kept original. I would not alter it.

GP100man

Buckeye
If you must remove the locator pin place a deep socket over the pin & using a smaller pin on the other pressit out with a vise/press.

Clean hole accordingly , most of the time it`s just flashing from casting, but have seen a few machined to pinch fit.