Which is more versatile? 45colt or 44special?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
Boy that's a tough question because you can do so much with either one. With the .44 Special in the right gun, I would say the Blackhawk in .44 Special would be as good as you could expect, and the same could be said the .45 Colt Vaquero or Blackhawk. For me, the .45 Colt is more my liking.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
The 45 Colt will do everything the 44 Special will do.
And more.

The 44 Special will not do everything the 45 Colt will do, except save some powder.....

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Which is more versatile? 45colt or 44special?

I wouldn't worry about it. They are both obsolete.

...I'm kidding... :D :D :D

CraigC

Hawkeye
WESHOOT2 said:
The 45 Colt will do everything the 44 Special will do.
And more.

The 44 Special will not do everything the 45 Colt will do, except save some powder.....
The .45Colt can sling a 250gr bullet at 1200fps or a 310gr at 1050fps out of a mid-frame single action???

The .45Colt will come out of the box with proper dimensions?

When did this happen?

I actually really hate these discussions because there's always those who believe they have to choose one over the other and that their choice is better than the other. Very little objective discussion, just measuring contests. Fact is, there is no clear "winner" and more importantly, no need for one.

Rclark

Hunter
The .45Colt can sling a 250gr bullet at 1200fps or a 310gr at 1050fps out of a mid-frame single action???
Well, I know I get a 255g SWC going 1139fps (over my chrono) out of my midframe using HS-6 as the powder. This is is only a Tier 2 (less than 20K psi) load too which is safe in the midframe. I see Brian Pearce was getting 1100fps with a 280g bullet using HS-6. This BTW, is out a 5 1/2" barrel. A 7 1/2" flattop or New Vaquero you might get close to 1200fps. Have no clue on the 310 (if they even fit due to the shorter cylinder) as I don't use those in my .45s (or tested 'em even). YMMV of course, but the midframe .45 Colt revolver does me just fine. And if I need to hunt in Africa I can always move up to the large frame and skip the .44Mag entirely ;) .

Fact is, there is no clear "winner" and more importantly, no need for one.
Depends on who you are... Chevy is a clear winner for one person, and Dodge another, Ford is simply 'Found On Road Dead' so no need for that to enter the discussion ;) . Go with what 'you' feel is 'best' for you . That I agree with.

MaxP

Buckeye
Craig, some day you will see the light and realize that the .45 Colt rules the roost -- you'll see! :mrgreen: .429 Special......good grief man! :mrgreen:

CraigC

Hawkeye
Rclark said:
Depends on who you are...
True, some folks are too short-sighted to see the difference between what's "best" and what's simply their personal preference. As revolver lovers, we should be able to transcend such petty disputes. The .45Colt is a great cartridge but folks make too much of the differences. I love the cartridge at any pressure level but at 14,000-32,000psi, it's a lot of wasted space. Personally, I think many people are enamored with it because it's a big, fat, imposing looking cartridge. Forgetting that it's usually half empty. If bigger was always better, we'd all trade in our .45's for the .480 Achilles.

IMHO, you ought to have multiple examples of each.

CraigC

Hawkeye
MaxP said:
Craig, some day you will see the light and realize that the .45 Colt rules the roost -- you'll see! :mrgreen: .429 Special......good grief man! :mrgreen:
I might when .457" bullets are as common as .452's. ;)

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Bucks Owin said:
.45 LC case is the perfect size to fill with W-296. No "wasted space" here! 8)

(Dittos SR4759... :wink: )

Yikes! I haven't tried that yet in my 45s :lol: :lol:, that's my go to powder for my 357M and 44M .................................

Rclark

Hunter
it's a lot of wasted space.
All depends on the powder you put in it, so don't see that as a 'argument'. Trail Boss? load tell it touches the bottom... Black Powder? Fill that case up and slightly compress.... 4227, 2400, 296/h110, SR4759, .... All depends what you load in it. Same with any cartridge. Say using Bullseye, the .357 case looks pretty empty.... No, give me a .451 over a .429 any day with a case big enough, but not to big ... gives lots of loading options with no downside. S. Colt know what he was doing when he designed the .45 Colt cartridge, and Linebaugh and Ross, and others took it to its potential... what's not to like? ;) :D . Has stood the test of time.