S&W question ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GP100man

Buckeye
Did S&W ever make a revolver with a full lugged barrel & a recessed cyl. ???

Local pawn broker had 1 & it looked as though it started out as a 19 then a 586 barrel fitted & pinned !!

Good lookin revolver , but you can tell in the polish/reblue job they smeared the stampings just a tad .

Tempting , but I passed.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I believe the early 586/686 guns were recessed & pinned but I'm not 100% sure about that.

You can tell a K frame from an L frame at a glance by the height of the hammer, once you know what you're looking at. Look at some pictures of both and you can see what I mean.

pawncop

Blackhawk
I know the Model 19-4 was the last (in that series) to be pinned and recessed, mine was in 1980. I had an early 586 and believe it was not but cannot be 100%. My 686 was made in 1985 and it is not.

I hope you find this helpful.

k22fan

Blackhawk
GP100man said:
Did S&W ever make a revolver with a full lugged barrel & a recessed cyl. ??? [...]

Taken literally that's an easy question with an answer that does not help. All S&W .22 rimfire revolvers have been recessed since approximately the mid 1920s and most K-22s have been full lugged since 1989. More to the point no L frames [686/586] were pinned or recessed and no pinned and recessed model 19s were full lug. If you change the question to "were any pinned and recessed S&W center fire revolvers full lugged I'm pretty sure the answer is no or only a few odd balls.

As long as you are looking at S&Ws with traditionally installed one piece barrels all K frames have metal removed from the bottom of the barrel under the forcing cone providing clearance for the yoke. L frames were primarily engineered to get rid of the stress riser that flat created. If you don't handle K and L frames enough to immediately recognize one by size looking for the flat spot seems easy.

Incidentally, L frame barrel threads are larger diameter than K frame threads. Rethreading would not be quick or inexpensive but I'm acquainted with the proud owner of a 19 wearing a 4" 586 barrel. Similar rebarreling was once done for PPC with Python barrels. However it's possible the 19 you looked at didn't get a 586 barrel to create its owner's dream gun. S&W no longer sells replacement 19 barrels so a 586 barrel may have been the best option after the original barrel's flat spot cracked.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
At the time the Model 586 Distinguished Combat Magnum was introduced, I was a member of the Tennessee Outdoors Writers Association and got early press releases, so I got a pre-introduction notice. I bought a 4" Model 586 as soon as one became available, and it has neither pin nor counterbored chambers.

Bob Wright

black029

Single-Sixer
In a center fire gun: not likely. There were some mixed results/crossovers when P&R was scrapped in 1980 (pinned-not recessed or recessed-not pinned), but those played out in a year or so. I really don't think any full lug models appeared until 4-5 years later.