Ship Date on OM Super 6112?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Ryan, I remember you posting about your Super a few months back inquiring about what box it shipped. I have SN 6121, only 9 numbers higher than yours and it was shipped in Dec.1960 and has its original white box and shipper numbered to the gun. RENE list that in 1961 the first Super shipped that year was 6222, so unless your gun shipped outside of normal shipping timeframe, it probably shipped around the same time as mine with a white box. This is not certain, just a high probability. Ruger cannot tell you which box it shipped in but should be able to give you a ship date with a letter,if that program ever gets reinstated.
Hopes this helps,
Calvin
whiteboxSuper2_zps3cc95517.jpg

Tip

Single-Sixer
street said:
Checking with RENE it looks as if it was shipped late 1960.

Street, et al...
I'm not familiar with the acronym "RENE." Obviously, "R" is for Ruger.
Is it possible to determine when my 20xx Super Blackhawk shipped?
And, how slim are my chances of finding a half-century old mahogany box?! :D

RENE - Red Eagle News Exchange. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=30544

Your gun shipped in 1960. Post a WTB in the classifieds for the box. They are not cheap.

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Tip said:
street said:
Checking with RENE it looks as if it was shipped late 1960.

Street, et al...
I'm not familiar with the acronym "RENE." Obviously, "R" is for Ruger.
Is it possible to determine when my 20xx Super Blackhawk shipped?
And, how slim are my chances of finding a half-century old mahogany box?! :D
They can be found,price range is around $450 for a nice one.
409777808.jpg

This one is a spare...rebuild box I think.
409777819.jpg

JCW64

Single-Sixer
Tip, the mahogany boxes are actually cheaper than the cardboard white box due to scarcity. I've seen just the mahogany boxes for sale around the price mentioned but I've never seen a white box for sale that didn't have a gun in it.
Collector grade Supers in mahogany boxes are valued in the $1200 range and Supers with the white box add about $500 more.

Tip

Single-Sixer
JCW64 said:
Tip,...
Collector grade Supers in mahogany boxes are valued in the $1200 range and Supers with the white box add about $500 more.

At those prices, I'll take one of each, please! Ha, ha!
That's amazing!
-I'll just keep shopping for bargains. Thank you. :)

chet15

Hawkeye
Figuring out which of the three box types came with a particular early Super Blackhawk can be kind of tricky. But an actual ship date would really help.
The following is from the "Reference of Ruger Firearms":

Note that the Mahogany case was discontinued because of a fire at the supplier. The case is known to have been used with Super Blackhawks shipped to April 1961. The case was replaced by a white corrugated box with insert cutout for the gun and white clipcover with red Ruger eagle logo around the hinged box. Around the entire package was Ruger's brown cardboard shipping sleeve. The white case is known to have been used from April 1961 to at least October 1962, although Ruger's two-piece black and red box began to be used from at least June 1962 (i.e. s/n 10130). The remainder of the white corrugated cases and slipcovers were used with Super Blackhawks in the 10xxx s/n range.

Ruger must have found and used a last "stash" of white cases there in the 10xxx range.
Chet15

Tip

Single-Sixer
chet15 said:
Figuring out which of the three box types came with a particular early Super Blackhawk can be kind of tricky...

Thanks for your post, Chet.
IIRC, you're the person to correspond with regarding RENE membership. Right?
PM sent.