RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:44 pm 
Newly Registered

Hello,
I hope that it is an ammo issue:
Just took my new GP100 Talo to the range, but returned home a bit disappointed.
Cleaned brand new revolver at home, but never tried to load it. After I loaded first six rounds of factory . 357 Speer Gold Dot 125 grains factory ammo, I could not close a cylinder. Rounds do not go all the way to the cylinder. Did not want to use any force. Loaded Black Hills 38 special +P without any problems, but they are shorter....
Did not shoot a revolver and will be calling Ruger tomorrow.
I never had any issues with loading/shooting of the same Speer Gold dots in my 4" Ruger GP100 but I do not have it any longer.
I do not have different .357 ammo to try and I even not sure that I can get .357 ammo in my LGS. Hate to order more on line to find out that it does not fit too.
Ruger GP100 Talo is NIB, no burned powder rings or any dirt under the extractor.
Any thoughts/suggestions?
I was looking for this revolver for three month and this is kind of disappointment...

Last edited by Cossack17 on Thu May 23, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:53 am 
Single-Sixer

Before I called Ruger I would try some other .357 ammo. The ammo cos. as of late are on 24/7 operation & QC has dropped. Find a friend who has some .357 ammo or just buy a box of 20. You'll use them one way or another in the future. After all, if it is the ammo you wouldn't want Ruger to mark "knucklehead" next to your serial # in the Cust. Serv. database. :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:38 am 
Single-Sixer

If your able , try measuring the cylinder ... from the front , through the chamber to the front edge of the throat. A vernier caliper should have a depth tool on it. Using this diminsion , you should be able determine if the cylinder is machined incorrectly. Who knows , you may have a .38 cylinder on your .357. Sorry , I don't know what the correct diminsions are ...you can probably find that information on line somewhere. Measuring a loaded round may work ? Good luck

regards , brushunter

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:39 am 
Newly Registered

Just visited my LGS and bought box of 50 rounds Winchester SuperX 158 grains JHP for $60.00. Loads and ejects without any problems.
Will call manufacturer of my original ammo tomorrow and will try to get it replaced.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:22 pm 
Hawkeye

Cossack17 wrote:
Just visited my LGS and bought box of 50 rounds Winchester SuperX 158 grains JHP for $60.00. Loads and ejects without any problems.
Will call manufacturer of my original ammo tomorrow and will try to get it replaced.

Well that's disappointing for Speer ammo to do that. I would have expected better. I have on occasion got a bad round (usually cheap ammo) that won't chamber but was it the whole box? :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:56 pm 
Newly Registered

Called ammo manufacturer, they checked the lot number and stated that they never received a single complain about this lot. They asked me to call Ruger. So, more fun tomorrow....

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:01 pm 
Hunter

If you cant find any other ammo, I would try your ammo in a different 357 if you have one. If not, maybe a friend has one, or even take it to your LGS and see if it fits in one of theirs. Then you could either blame or eliminate the ammo.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:24 am 
Newly Registered

Called Ruger and they emailed me a UPS shipping label.
Just to be sure, I visited LGS Saturday morning and owner loaded Speer GoldDots into one Taurus and another Ruger revolvers without any problems. My new GP100 Talo is on it's way to the Ruger's service center.
Will keep you posted.
It's very nice from Ruger, that they covered return mailing. Second day air is not cheap nowdays.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:36 am 
Hunter

Assuming it is not an ammo fault, As an owner of significant # of shares of Ruger stock, I find it disappointing that Ruger finds the extra time and money to fix the issues rather than make it right the first time. I'm a mfg operations guys. Statistically there is zero chance that this is a random defect. On the plus side Ruger always makes it right, their customer service is one of the best and maybe the best. Just try to get the same level of service from S&W, especially on a worn or older gun

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:48 pm 
Single-Sixer

Cossack17 wrote:

I'm confused. If this loads correctly why are you sending the gun to Ruger. Can you post pictures of both ammos next to each other? Why would the Winchester load ok but not speers if its a problem with the gun?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:21 pm 
Newly Registered

Kyhunt wrote:
Cossack17 wrote:

I'm confused. If this loads correctly why are you sending the gun to Ruger. Can you post pictures of both ammos next to each other? Why would the Winchester load ok but not speers if its a problem with the gun?

I am sending it to Ruger because GP100 should take any quality factory .357 MAG ammo. I was able to load 125gr Speer GoldDot into 2 other Rugers and Taurus revolvers, but not into my GP100 Talo. It is not an issue with the ammo, but with the chamber tolerances.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:12 pm 
Newly Registered

I am very disappointed... Revolver came back from Ruger and finish is scratched in five places on the right side of the firearm and front of the barrel.
Paperwork has very short statement: "Cylinder repaired", no signature of armorer, no apology for bad quality control and now I even cannot sell it as NIB. Yes, I can load Speer GoldDots now.
What really gets me is the attitude towards the CUSTOMER. I paid good money for what is supposed to be a "Special Edition" firearm.

Last edited by Cossack17 on Fri May 24, 2013 3:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:02 pm 
Hawkeye

Once again I am disappointed. This time with Ruger customer service. In the scheme of things probably not a major but it would have been nice if they had been more careful and given a better explanation of what they did. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:41 pm 
Newly Registered

Jimbo357mag wrote:
Once again I am disappointed. This time with Ruger customer service. In the scheme of things probably not a major but it would have been nice if they had been more careful and given a better explanation of what they did. :shock:

My biggest problem is that Ruger employes somebody who does not take a pride in his job and treats somebody's property (actually a guy's who just bought a Ruger product and helped Ruger to pay his wages) like it is a piece of junk. I sent a NIB revolver for service and somebody was throwing it around, so it comes back to me as a used gun.
I do have a Glock armorer's mat, sets of armorers screwdrivers, torx driver and my handguns, even 20 years old, do not have a sign of abuse... holster wear, of course, but not a neglect or abuse.
If Ruger returned me the revolver in the original condition, the case would be over. I can understand that machinist made a mistake and chambers tolerances were a little bit off, but damaging of the finish was totally preventable. That shows me a lack of working ethics and it seriously undermines my trust as a customer.

Post subject: other than its outside
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:10 am 
Hawkeye

So, how does it shoot?

"all my ammo is mostly-retired factory ammo"