Thinking of converting super Blackhawk to......

Help Support Ruger Forum:

whichwatch

Blackhawk
CraigC said:
Would you guys be making jokes if it were your money? When you buy a new car, do you want a salesman that can answer your questions about the car you're buying or one that's entertaining? This is no different. Some guys might wait years and save their money for a long time and only ever have one custom gun built in their lives. Do they not deserve to know everything possible about the subject? Rather than a bunch of BS about grumpy old men???

I ain't grumpy and it ain't my fault the engraving is cock-eyed. I just think the OP should be able to make an informed decision without somebody's hurt feelings getting in the way. I can't read BearBio's mind. All I can do is go by what is on Reeder's website right now. Rather than boo-hooing that everybody else is twice as much, let's see some real numbers instead and let the OP decide for himself. Besides, if it ain't on sale right now, it doesn't matter anyway.

Current pricing:
Reeder - $1600
Huntington - $1600
Clements - $2000
Gallagher - $2000
Bowen - $2300
Linebaugh - $2400

For those prices, everybody but Reeder will block the action. If you don't know what that means, you better ask. What that means is that they fit an oversized bolt and install a bearing block that supports the bolt against the frame. The bolt is tightly fitted to the hole in the frame and then the bolt notches in the cylinder are cut to perfectly fit the bolt. This ensures rock solid lockup which both enhances accuracy and increases durability. You also get a linebored cylinder. If you don't know what this means, you should find out. This means that rather than cutting the chambers according to predetermined measurements, each chamber is drilled with the cylinder locked up in the revolver's frame, perfectly in line with the bore. This is labor-intensive and time-consuming but it produces a more accurate and more consistently accurate revolver. These guys also enlarge the frame window and fit the largest diameter cylinder possible. This is done for safety and strength. Something that might matter to some folks. You typically get very well done polishing and finishing. These are some of the most expensive guns they build and they put just as much effort into their finish work. Reeder mashes the parts against the buffing wheel until they shine. Edges get rolled-over, holes get dished out, etc.. It doesn't matter as long as they're shiny. Ask me about the Colt Officer's Model Match I looked at in his shop.

None of this is to say you should choose one over other. Only that you should know what you're really getting for your money. Don't go into it with the illusion that you're getting something for free from Reeder.

Are you in love with Gary Reeder?

whichwatch

Blackhawk
OK, I think this has just about been beat to death by now, some good points made. Everyone likes something different, that's precisely why there are various versions of the same thing.

If you want engraving on your gun, have it engraved.
If you want naked ladies on it, get 'em.
If you want a hotrod, wildcat turbocharged cartridge, get it.
If you want a plain Jane field grade, working gun, get it.
In the end, everyone should have what they want and not be chastised for their choice, as the only person who has to live with it is the one who made the choice.

bcgunworks

Single-Sixer
Line boring and such is to help eliminate some of the stacked tolerances.

It's not the only way or only thing that can be done to help eliminate stacked tolerances...

Just remember there is more than one way to skin a cat....

We didn't line bore to make the franken Rugers and so far all of the, are sub MOA at 100 yds...

We trued the frames face...trued the barrel threads in the frame...trued the cylinder..and adjust lock up as needed...as well as uniform the throats..

I think we achieved the goal....just don't get tunnel vision on one concept...

CraigC has made some very well reasoned and logical points. Hard to do sometimes in an internet discussion without people getting mad and yelling. I don't think he was attacking Reeder... he was just trying to show why Reeder is able to charge less for his work. And that you should be aware of what you are getting and then decide who you want and how much you are willing to pay. Like Craig, I'm a little confused when simple explanations are suddenly "fuel on the fire" and people start arguing like this is a life changing argument which really MUST be won.

I'm a little disappointed that it has gotten personal and perhaps some friendships have been dented a bit. Maybe it is time to shake hands, shrug your shoulders, and walk away. We really want this to be a gathering of like-minded long time friends.

Gregg

Like-minded folks don't have interesting discussions that explore alternatives . . . they have fanboi get-togethers and pat each other on the back for sharing their limited positions.

Intelligent folks can get together, express vastly differing ideas and explore the previously unconsidered . . . hopefully without generating fisticuffs. Sometimes we're all a little too touchy. I fall into that category on occasion, and hope I can avoid it whenever possible.

And I'm not grouchy. Opinionated, yes. Sue me.

;)

jdr308

Single-Sixer
Well, this has definitely been an interesting thread! Somewhat informative, yet entertaining as well :D I appreciate everyone's input and after some research due to your comments regarding quality and how the guns are built I think I will take a different route on a revolver. With Gary's conversion & his dies & my little tweaks i wanted,I'm approaching the price of a premiere grade freedom arms and wouldn't have anywhere near the quality of a F.A. I emailed one of the suggested smiths to see if we can get some plans going. Thanks guys! To be continued...........!

Apparently Colorado Custom Cartridge Company will be offering the Reeder proprietary cartridges.

https://coloradocustomcartridges.com/

Only one is currently listed, but there's a note about the upcoming addition of the GNR rounds.

:)

nhdon

Bearcat
gee I almost feel sad I am converting one to a little tiny 22 at one of the mentioned ps don k