LCP II and SD ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

PM9

Bearcat
Okay, the LCP II won out over the Kahr as my small pocket semi. Mine will deliver in a couple of days and I have a couple hundred rounds from different manufacturers for break in reliability.

Being quite unfamiliar with SD loads in 380 cal., what have you found that feeds reliability and still gets the job done?
Yes, I will take a couple of suggestions and run them through the gun before I put it in my pocket.

vaguru

Bearcat
Check out shootingthebull.net, there is a 380 ammo test done with the short barrel guns. Most anything loaded with 90 gr XTP was great, and the 90 gr hydrashok load was very close. They all function perfectly our 3 380's. We usually carry the hydrashok, but am using the xtp custom in one of the guns just because.

Wheeljack

Bearcat
Hornady Critical Defense..Yes. Critical Duty...No, it's +P. But then, Hornady does not make a Critical Duty in .380..

DonD

Single-Sixer
You might try Lucky Gunner, they did an exhaustive test of 380, 9mm, 40 and 45ACP.

To me, the Federal HST was the best performing in the test with the FBI protocol of denim etc and then into ballistic gellatin. All rounds penetrated to the top of the FBI requirement or greater.

I did some "redneck" ballistics testing with a 2" thick telephone book, some 3/4" ply wood, some more stuff and another layer of ply. The HST did quite well, digging into the second ply layer.

Virtually all of the quality self defense rounds were included in the test.

Mine is the original style LCP with the improved trigger. My hands are certainly not small but I find the LCP points naturally and it shoots well for me. A keeper. Don

SLNC

Bearcat
PM9 said:
Being quite unfamiliar with SD loads in 380 cal., what have you found that feeds reliability and still gets the job done? Yes, I will take a couple of suggestions and run them through the gun before I put it in my pocket.

I have fired 20 rounds of Lehigh Defense .380 Auto Xtreme Penetrator Ammunition and 25 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense FTX, both reliably. I tried 23 rounds of Hornady American Gunner XTP and experienced failures to feed several times on the last round in the magazine.

PM9

Bearcat
I have had this now for a couple of weeks with about 300 rounds of various brand ammo. For SD loads Federal HST 99gr. work perfectly in my gun.

SR1911SHOOTER

Blackhawk
PM9 said:
Okay, the LCP II won out over the Kahr as my small pocket semi. Mine will deliver in a couple of days and I have a couple hundred rounds from different manufacturers for break in reliability.

Being quite unfamiliar with SD loads in 380 cal., what have you found that feeds reliability and still gets the job done?
Yes, I will take a couple of suggestions and run them through the gun before I put it in my pocket.

PM9
I use Ruger ARX. In all my carry weapons. Feeds reliably and is not to expensive.
I doubt that many others, like me, know "What gets the job done", and do not want
to find out.
Blackie

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/micros/ammo/index.html

teuthis

Single-Sixer
I use the Ruger ARX in my LCP. I think it gives the .380 more stopping power. I have not found non +P 9mm yet. I don't know if they make it or not.

ChattanoogaPhil

Bearcat
RN ammo will do. I prefer to err on the side of penetration.

Staying with my LCP 1.5.

z7nxscu.png