How to aim Ruger American

Help Support Ruger Forum:

6 O'Clock or Cover the Target with Front Dot?

• Front dot should be slightly under intended target (6 O'Clock)

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Front dot should be blotting out intended target

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To me, where to hold your sight while target shooting and self defense shooting are two completely different things. Target shooting I hold just under where I want the bullet to go. What I recommend for self defense is practice, practice, practice. Your house is small so practice from 10' feet away, eventually you'll gain muscle memory and the gun will point exactly where you want it to. I could remove the sights on my LCR and it wouldn't affect my aim one bit. Dry fire the gun, try to eliminate pulling on the gun when you squeeze the trigger. Watch your three fingers on the grip when you squeeze the trigger, they should not move. Once again, practice, practice, practice, and after you have your technique perfected, practice some more.

s4s4u

Hunter
So the attacker would be only 10' away. Where do I put the front sight?

I would be more concerened with trigger control than where you put the front sight at that distance.

DGW1949

Hunter
s4s4u said:

I would be more concerened with trigger control than where you put the front sight at that distance.

I agree.
One intruder @ 10' sounds like a "center mass and keep shooting 'till he's down and out" situation to me. Wasting precious time trying to get everything just right for a perfect head/face shot?...not so much.

Just sayin'.

DGW

Umbra_the_Wolf

Bearcat
DGW1949 said:
s4s4u said:

I agree.
One intruder @ 10' sounds like a "center mass and keep shooting 'till he's down and out" situation to me. Wasting precious time trying to get everything just right for a perfect head/face shot?...not so much.

Just sayin'.

DGW

If this is all true then practicing my aim helps only to build confidence and to know my gun, plus it's fun. Center of mass at 10' and keep pulling til he flops over? I always thought that would take more precious time.

Curious, how many 45 Auto bullets under 20' does it take to actually kill a full grown man? I've heard it takes 2-3 9mm bullets to kill them utterly and maybe 1-2 to stop them in their tracks, and only 1-2 to stop them with hollow points. What about for 45's? One thing I've read across all the internet is that no bullet is a true 1 hit instant kill unless it's a headshot. I've even heard that a 70cal bullet still doesn't guarantee enough instant trauma to 1 hit kill unless it's the heart or brain.

I can pull the trigger pretty fast, but shooting a man who's charging me from only 10' feet? I don't know if I could fire this quite that fast to guarantee he won't stab or shoot me in this wild-firing process.

Maybe I should practice hip-firing from 10' for center of mass as fast as I can? If aiming with a sight at that range still takes more time and is still unrealistic in a high stress situation, then maybe I should do as the cowboys did and use those ranges to practice some fast draw-rapid fire techniques for self defense?

Mike J

Hunter
How many shots it takes all depends on what you hit. I know from deer hunting I can hold on the same spot (right behind the front shoulder) & get varied results on whether the deer drops right there or runs a little ways before it drops. It mostly depends on how the deer is standing in relationship to where I am (whether it is quartered towards me, away from me, broadside, etc.). This of course makes a difference in what gets hit on the inside.

I haven't gotten to shoot much lately. I have just worked too much. I have finally gotten back to 40 hours the past few weeks but I am expecting about 8 weeks of 6 tens starting the first part of May. When I did practice a lot I learned that after practicing with sighted fire a lot I reached a point where I could hold & point my pistol like I was aiming & look over the sights instead of at them & shoot & make good hits on a paper plate out to about 10 yards. Muscle memory kicked in. It's kinda like how you point a shotgun not try to aim it when shooting clays (something I honestly haven't spent a lot of time on).

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Umbra_the_Wolf said:
If this is all true then practicing my aim helps only to build confidence and to know my gun, plus it's fun. Center of mass at 10' and keep pulling til he flops over? I always thought that would take more precious time.

Curious, how many 45 Auto bullets under 20' does it take to actually kill a full grown man? I've heard it takes 2-3 9mm bullets to kill them utterly and maybe 1-2 to stop them in their tracks, and only 1-2 to stop them with hollow points. What about for 45's? One thing I've read across all the internet is that no bullet is a true 1 hit instant kill unless it's a headshot. I've even heard that a 70cal bullet still doesn't guarantee enough instant trauma to 1 hit kill unless it's the heart or brain.

I can pull the trigger pretty fast, but shooting a man who's charging me from only 10' feet? I don't know if I could fire this quite that fast to guarantee he won't stab or shoot me in this wild-firing process.

Maybe I should practice hip-firing from 10' for center of mass as fast as I can? If aiming with a sight at that range still takes more time and is still unrealistic in a high stress situation, then maybe I should do as the cowboys did and use those ranges to practice some fast draw-rapid fire techniques for self defense?

You may think this is BS, but back in the mid-'70s I knew a guy who took two .45 ball slugs to his head and was out of the hospital in a couple days. The slugs had ricocheted off the top of his forehead. Had a mild concussion and a couple pretty nice scars from it. Ball ammo also is often deflected in unpredictable directions by ribs, arms and other body parts, which is largely why handgun hunters don't use it, and instead will shoot a heavy hard cast flat nose solid lead slug on some game animals such as wild pigs.

My point is that people ain't all that easy put down, let alone kill, especially if they are big and muscular from years of working out in the State Pen, and are drugged up. Plan for this, not for some skinny teenager. If you doubt this take a minute to consider the many Marines, Sailors, Airmen, and Soldiers who survive absolutely devastating wounds and in many cases continue to fight before they are eventually evac'd. They ain't called wounded warriors for nothing.

Chose your ammo accordingly.

You also might consider that in a home defense encounter there may well be 2, 3, or more bad guys. As has been said, a pistol - any pistol - is what you use to get to your real gun. Which is a 12 gage or AR usually.

Also, regarding very close quarters - 10' or under - you need to get some training on what is known as "shooting from retention". What it means is shooting and preventing the other guy from taking your gun away from you. Google it.

PS: There's a lot of myth surrounding the .45acp. The ballistics on it don't support the hype. Here's a comparison with the .41 mag (which I have one of) from the same supplier (Underwood https://underwoodammo.com/ ).

45ACP

Technical Information:

Caliber: 45 ACP +P
Bullet Weight: 230 Grains
Bullet Style: Jacketed Hollow Point
Case Type: Ducta-Bright 7a Nickel Plated Brass

Ballistics Information:

Muzzle Velocity:1000 fps
Muzzle Energy: 511 ft. lbs.

.41 Mag

Technical Information:

Caliber: 41 Magnum
Bullet Weight: 210 Grains
Bullet Style: Jacketed Hollow Point
Case Type: Brass

Ballistics Information:

Muzzle Velocity:1560 fps
Muzzle Energy: 1135 ft. lbs.

cyborgt800

Single-Sixer

Seriously...the answer is press it into his sternum and fire! At 10' he has closed that distance before you decided to fire and if not then I'd be more worried about the jury than where to aim!

Umbra_the_Wolf

Bearcat
cyborgt800 said:

Seriously...the answer is press it into his sternum and fire! At 10' he has closed that distance before you decided to fire and if not then I'd be more worried about the jury than where to aim!
Castle doctrine would nullify a jury coming against me like that. In Arizona where I live, if a person breaks into your home or car they are considered lethal threats and can be put down utterly without repercussions from the law. However, if they decide to run away even in the house shooting them in the back is against the law. I live in a tiny house so I am 10' from my door. I'd only have a second or two to react to the burglar or killer if he manages to enter without hindrance right away. I don't have stairs to my door so any robber coming in would have to hop up 3'-4'. That's why I sleep with my gun 6" from my head. In one swoop with one hand I can unholster the gun and aim center of mass in about 1.5 seconds... assuming I wake up!

hittman

Staff member
Umbra_the_Wolf said:
I live in a tiny house so I am 10' from my door. I'd only have a second or two to react

Which makes me wonder why you would practice at 60 feet.

At the 10 feet you have between the front door and yourself ...... it's a point-and-shoot scenario; not aim-then-fire.

Umbra_the_Wolf

Bearcat
hittman said:
Umbra_the_Wolf said:
I live in a tiny house so I am 10' from my door. I'd only have a second or two to react

Which makes me wonder why you would practice at 60 feet.

At the 10 feet you have between the front door and yourself ...... it's a point-and-shoot scenario; not aim-then-fire.

I didn't know that. Obviously I practiced at 5, 10, 15, 20, up to 25 yards but it never occurred to me that in a situation like that I would not aim at all. I looked at it like the faster I could shoot well at greater range then I'd be better even at short range. Another guy on this thread simply to practice hip firing at 10'. I will do that for sure. Always thought that was cowboy nonsense til someone simply said to do it.

cyborgt800

Single-Sixer
Castle doctrine would nullify a jury coming against me like that.

I wouldn't count on that though....even a justified shooting could still make you have to retain expensive lawyers if some DA is bucking for name recognition or the family brings a civil suit because you were "unfair".

Pulling the trigger often costs much more than just the bullet...

Umbra... just up the road from you in Nevada is the best fire arms training facility in the country.... stay away from the internet hype from the owner...but the training is superb and you will never regret taking it.... best suggestion... 4 day defensive hand gun class... will cost you $50 for a back ground check.... (joke really) and some time getting folks you know to declare you a character ( notarized form) .... and then the cost of around 600 rounds of ammo and of course the cost of staying a few nights in Parump... but the 2 grand 'they' say the class cost... I bet if you look around you can find someone who will sponsor you for free..... Life time members get to do this, sponsor folks for a class.