I'm back with an LC9s !

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I went to a gun shop intending to buy a S&W Shield because I wanted a compact 9mm for carry. But when I handled the LC9s, the trigger difference was so great that I never really considered the S&W again. This has become my primary carry, in part due to size and reliability and in part because for me, its a gun I can shoot reasonably well at self defense distances. For what its worth, I usually pocket carry in a DeSantis holster.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
vito said:
I went to a gun shop intending to buy a S&W Shield because I wanted a compact 9mm for carry. But when I handled the LC9s, the trigger difference was so great that I never really considered the S&W again. This has become my primary carry, in part due to size and reliability and in part because for me, its a gun I can shoot reasonably well at self defense distances. For what its worth, I usually pocket carry in a DeSantis holster.

+1 to this. Now that the weather has finally broken a little (I shoot at an outdoor range) I'll have targets this weekend. But everyone who I've handed the pistol to (including me) has had a one-word description of the trigger: "Wow." Or: "Amazing." Or a three word epiphany: "That's a RUGER?"

It's not going to impress your friends at the Tonytown Yacht Club who have a Walther P5C when you take it out of its little zippered case instead of the velvet-lined oak box. But that doesn't really matter for 99.99% of the people out there. What matters is a reliable gun made by people who went to college who stand behind it and built a great trigger into it and manufacture it at an attractive price. :) And in that sense it's a winner of a gun, IMHO. Targets coming this weekend.

Note to Ruger, Inc. if you're reading this: It would be wonderful if you made an ambi. version of this pistol, or at least a version where the primary controls can be switched over to the other side. I have at least one *guaranteed* sale. There are very, very few compact 9mm pistols that do ambi. well.

Al James

Hunter
Sounds great Nixie! Now if they would just bring out the SS. I looked at a Cerakote one this weekend that almost got me to bite but all I kept thinking about is how great it would look and be in a nice bead blasted SS. Please Ruger!? :cry:

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Al James said:
Sounds great Nixie! Now if they would just bring out the SS. I looked at a Cerakote one this weekend that almost got me to bite but all I kept thinking about is how great it would look and be in a nice bead blasted SS. Please Ruger!? :cry:

I'll second that, it would look really nice with that finish. So the wish list is Stainless + Ambi. option. The side the ejection port is on doesn't matter anywhere near as much as where the controls are - those are the important things.

The Ambidextrous option isn't an afterthought: if you really look at the pistols on the market right now, the good affordable ones, there are almost *none* that are Ambi. and that's a shame, because I know someone who would buy one of them literally tomorrow if there was a left-handed version available. Call it the LC9SL and LC9SL Pro.

Basically if you're in the market for a compact, concealable handgun, if you're left-handed you are probably buying a revolver. Ruger could change that with one bold stroke.

tomcattwo

Bearcat
Al James said:

So, how about the Ruger LC9S Model #3261: http://ruger.com/products/lc9s/specSheets/3261.html

TALO distributors; Nickel plated engraved slide, black plastic frame, same great LC9S trigger, and a beautiful piece.

I got mine through gunbroker.com, and saw them being sold for anywhere from $390 to $480.

Not stainless, but close.

BTW, if you do own this model, or one with a nickel coating, it's advisable NOT to use a gun solvent that has an ammonium base (example: Hoppes #9). Reason is that often for coatings like this (and I do NOT know if Ruger does this on their nickel finished models or not, but I am not taking chances) a copper undercoating is used before applying the finished coating. This is to help the finish adhere better to the steel. Ammonium based solvents are used in part to ionically help clean out copper deposits. Any small crack or fissure in the nickel coating could allow the solvent to seep in and eat away at the copper undercoating and potentially cause the coating to become "un-adhereed" (is that even a word?!!). Hoppes website and the bottle make mention of this (basically says not to soak nickel finishes in the solvent, and to wipe it off thoroughly if it does get on the finish). So I was advised to use MPro-7 solvent for cleaning the weapon by my LGS, and so I do. YMMV.

R/
TC2

Al James

Hunter
Thanks for the link and the info on the solvent. I'm pretty sure the only solvent that I use that has ammonia in it is Sweets 7.62. I have never had to use it on a pistol before and reserve it for heavy copper fouling in CF rifles. Stuff smells like it is peeling the paint off the walls when you are using it. I decided it is a garage only solvent.

I saw that engraved nickle model already but I've never been a fan of "coatings" or engraving for that matter. I understand that nickle or chrome is tougher but I have had several of the blackened SS Sigs and after a little use they are bright on all the corners. I sent my last two in to Sig to have them bead blasted to bare SS. I guess I just like it better. If I end up buying a RAP I'm sure I'll do the same. Currently they are leaving us two toners out on a couple guns. The RAP would be easy.

Ruger! Please.... :cry:

Toyman

Single-Sixer
I've had mine LCR pro for over year and carry it every day. I purchased 2 9 round magazines from Ruger and after breaking them in one in gun and one in my pocket. When ever I go to range no matter what else I take to shoot I run a couple magazines through the LCR.
The trigger pull is a little long but not to heavy and I am used to it.
I carry it in a OWB El Paso street combat holster very comfortable.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
I bought a LC9s last week. I've carried concealed for 39 years but never owned a striker-fired pistol; always some kind of DA/SA pistol or a revolver.

The trigger is great -- but that light let-off prohibits (for me) carrying this in my pocket with a round in the chamber (pocket holster or not). I'm looking for an OWB holster that covers the trigger guard. When I find one, I will carry it chamber loaded. I will engage the safety while holstering. This pistol is waaaaay more prone to accidental discharge than a DA/SA model.

I've put 50+ rounds thru it. It's great to shoot except the trigger end makes my finger a bit sore -- no big deal. I've shot only 115 grain non +P ammo. Mine likes the Sig Sauer HPs more than Rem or WW FMJ. However, it's simple to keep a soda can in motion @ 25 yards with any ammo I've tried so far. It's grouping 3 inside of 3" easily.

POA and POI are almost exact. Thanks for that, Ruger.

I like it; I'm glad I bought it. It requires a lot of attention to be safe with it. Yeah, I know, they all do!!

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
Just an add-on to my post. I bought a Desantis Mini-Scabbard for my LC9s and like it a lot. It completely covers the trigger guard and holds the pistol firmly. On my belt, it carries very easily and discreetly. I AM able to engage the safety before holstering and switch it to fire after holstering.

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
All's good. One bit of advice to anyone carrying the pistol in their pocket. They make holsters for pocket carry that protect the trigger so that your keys don't accidently pull the trigger inside your coat pocket.

I would never want to carry a gun with an exposed trigger inside a coat pocket or any clothing pocket the way I keep a bullet in the chamber of my carry gun.

Most all of us will never have to use our gun for self defense. But if I am ever in need of my carry gun I want it to be easily accessible and safe to carry. A good holster is key to the system.[/quote]

If I were to carry my Ruger LC9S Pro in a jacket pocket I'd definitely get a pocket carry type holster that would protect the trigger from being exposed.

I never carried or owned a pistol until two years ago and I'm 65 years old now. So I made it though 63 years without ever needed a loaded pistol. I never really worried about being attacked by anyone in the past. But these days as I am getting older I like knowing that I have a pistol on my hip just in case something were to go down. My town has had a huge increase in shootings the past few years and it's pretty scary when I read in the newspapers about another shooting. These are occurring almost on a weekly if not biweekly basis. Sometimes two shootings in the same day. This prompted me to go out and buy a gun and get a carry permit. Plus I enjoy going to the range these days and practicing shooting my guns. It gives me something to do and I enjoy meeting people at the open outdoor gun range.

Cholo

Staff member
I handled my 1st LC9s an hour ago. I'm not in the market for one, but I wanted to feel the controls. The trigger wasn't what I expected, but after some slack it broke after about 3/8th" of travel. My boy lives in Memphis with his wife. I'm trying to persuade him to buy a handgun. I recommended the LC9s and now believe it could be the right choice for him and his tiny wife. The slide was super easy to rack and the trigger was fine.

I usually recommend a Kahr but don't like their 200 rd. break in. The Ruger seems good to go with ammo so cheap it won't break the bank. I don't own any 9's, but if I did, it would be the LC9s PRO model.

it won't replace my carry Kahr PM40, but it sure seems a good bang (no pun intended) for the buck.

Palms

Bearcat
Ordered my Pro last night from Bud's with gold colored slide. I can say I think I've seen every YouTube video that mentions LC9s over the last four weeks since selling my previous carry pistol. Went to the range and rented theirs which is in need of a serious cleaning and lube. That or I was hitting the slide lock with my right thumb on several times. At any rate, had to buy a box of their Federal 115 gr, took an M16A2 out to 15' and for the first time out with this model, got some incredible shots http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=232368# but I don't know how to post yet on this forum. http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=232368#

theazlit

Bearcat
I initially purchased the LC 9 and really thought the trigger pull left much to be desired. The long trigger pull was annoying and my large hands did not help with the problem. Additionally, the reset was also long which made it more problematic. At one point, I was considering the purchase of the trigger modification of the LC9. After reading many of the reviews, most people saw very little change. So, I traded the LC 9 in fir the LC 9s. Wow! What an improvement. The shape, fit and design of the LC 9s was incredible. The LC9s posts inquire about the correct holster. I have two conceal-carry firearms that are my go-to because of comfort and size. The LC 9s fits great in the Pro Carry HD purchased from the "Holster Store". My LC9s is configured with the Crimson Trace Laserguard. This is a very comfortable holster. You can also purchase this on eBay under: Ruger LC9 /w CT Laserguard Gun Holster HD RH IWB Black /W Slide Guard......good luck

Made it to the range and the good news was no other folks on the pistol part and so I could go past the firing line which has tables for bench firing and do my Front Sight Draw and Fire drills... even better news; LC9s operated fine.... every time I get around to practicing with this pistol... every 3-6 months... the dern trigger pull surprises the heck out of me. I bought a trigger pull scale from midway a while back... LC9s is right at 4.5lbs...

This pistol has to be stored and carried in a good holster that completely covers the trigger guard, in my opinion.

One thing I still can't fathom with this pistol is folks here that run a hundred or more rounds through one. Not my cup of tea... little pistol has some serious kick to it. I wanted to see how accurate it was and so decided to shoot from the bench .... first shot kicked so hard it hurt my elbow.. had to use the back pack I brought with me as a cushion after that. LC9s is as accurate as my P95.

5of7

Hunter
I carry the LC9s with a round in the chamber and the safety off. The only time the safety is on is when it is off my belt and in the cabinet where I keep my 2 carry options The other option is an LCP .380 with Ruger's ARX ammo by Polycase. Both of my carry guns are always loaded except when I am cleaning them. I shoot at least 2 magazines of ammo through each of them a month, followed by dis-assembly and cleaning. They are then re-loaded and either carried or put in the cabinet.

All of my practice shooting is done at 30 ft. at a silhouette target, rapid fire without squinting at the sights. I am aware of the sights and try to at least get them close together, but I do not try to align them because in a gun fight one is not going to be concerned with sight alignment. It is pretty much point and shoot. 8)

mrmike7189

Single-Sixer
Yes the LC9s has a very nice trigger, and it is MA legal. I tried one the other day at my LGS . compared to the trigger on the MA compliant shield it is no contest. Ruger wins!

I had posted earlier in this thread but just caught up on all the new comments. Earlier I said I use a DeSantis pocket holster; now I mostly use my Remora holster. It works fine as a pocket holster and also as an IWB holster.

As to carrying with one in the chamber or not, I cannot imagine carrying a gun for defensive purposes and then NOT having a round in the chamber. When I read that some are concerned about pocket carry with one in the chamber, it makes me think they must be pocket carrying without a holster. My pocket holsters cover the trigger area so I have no hesitation about keeping one in the chamber. It makes me think that maybe some on this forum are really not confident of their ability to control, draw and fire their own gun if they so fear having one in the tube. Not only is there the time factor of racking the slide, the noise factor, the adrenaline factor causing fumbling with the gun and not getting it properly into battery because of the fear/tension of a life threatening situation, but don't forget that if there is not one in the chamber you absolutely need two hands to be ready to shoot (yes I know that some folks can rack the slide single handedly but how many of us really are trained and ready to do that?). You well might need your weak hand to deflect a blow, push back against an attacker while drawing your gun, etc.

I wouldn't want to be grappling with a thug who likely is younger, stronger and now faster than I am, and he is the one who has chosen the time and place of the attack, finding myself trying to hold him off at bad breath distance and drawing a gun that cannot be fired because there is no round in the chamber. If you won't keep one in the chamber, maybe carry a double-action only revolver where an accidental trigger pull is all but impossible. If that makes you nervous, then maybe switch from a gun to a knife.

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
4x4moses said:
I've recently taken delivery of an LC9s Pro; but have yet to give it a workout. Any suggestions on OWB holsters?

I use the Alien Gear Cloak Slide OWB hybrid Holster. Only about 30 bucks and it's leather backed with a kydex shell. And with Alien Gear you get a life time guarantee on the shell and the shell can be sent in and exchanged for another shell for a different gun.

I'd recommend Stealthgear OWB Flex holster also but they don't make a shell for the LC9S Pro guy yet. And they are eight times more expensive than the Alien Gear Cloak Slide OWB holster.

Make sure that with any holster you get a good thick leather belt that fits you right. 1.5 to 1.75" thick and structurally sound. The 5.11 tactical leather belts are nice as are the Alien Gear Leather Gun Holster belts. If you buy the holster and belt together you get some savings.