I'm back with an LC9s !

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodsy

Blackhawk
For me, what sold the Pro model is the absence of any magazine disconnect, a feature I grew to hate on an old CZ24.
Love my LC9sPro, especially with a grip sleeve from Hogue (I have large hands).
Now my mission is to see how low I can go in the recoil dept., using lightweight, lower-powered handloads, to facilitate follow-up shots.

WildWes

Bearcat
I have owned two PPK's in the past and favor my LC9s over it. For those of you that have the flat recoil plug, you can contact Ruger Customer Service and they'll send you a tapered one for free. :D

Racer9

Single-Sixer
Ok, I got a chance to fondle one recently. Very nice!! Now I just need to find one IN STOCK at the right price.

On another note, I just received my new Volquartsen lower for my 22/45. I'm grinning like a butchers dog!!! :mrgreen:

Al James

Hunter
Welcome back Nixie!!!! I'm with Blume on the need for a SS model. That is the only thing that is keeping me from picking one up. My chemistry does not allow for a blued carry gun :oops: I've tried several times and it always ends with similar profanities.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Al James said:
Welcome back Nixie!!!! I'm with Blume on the need for a SS model. That is the only thing that is keeping me from picking one up. My chemistry does not allow for a blued carry gun :oops: I've tried several times and it always ends with similar profanities.

Thanks, Al! I would never question anyone's chemical need for a particular gun finish and so forth.

OK, I might question it, but I would never *say* anything about it. Lol. 8)

Hopefully someone at Ruger is listening and will think about doing a nice version that's exactly what you want. It seems like just about everyone here is in general agreement that it's a fine pistol as it is, and an extra slide option would really make it exceptional.

This discussion continues to morph... :mrgreen:

Stainless is also quite important to me. I have rusted some blued finishes in spite of my best intentions to prevent it from happening.

HOWEVER...I don't know what the black finish is that Ruger uses on their non-stainless slides, but I have soaked them in sweat and rain, and even exposed them to salt water while fishing in the ocean, and NEVER had one even remotely think about rusting.

WAYNO.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
WAYNO said:
This discussion continues to morph... :mrgreen:

Stainless is also quite important to me. I have rusted some blued finishes in spite of my best intentions to prevent it from happening.

HOWEVER...I don't know what the black finish is that Ruger uses on their non-stainless slides, but I have soaked them in sweat and rain, and even exposed them to salt water while fishing in the ocean, and NEVER had one even remotely think about rusting.

WAYNO.

After the initial "Hello There" introduction, inspection and dry firing, the first thing I did was a Ballistol wipedown. I haven't field-stripped the gun yet, because Ruger says you don't have to (and I did RTFM.) So I left it there. Then of course I wiped it down again the next day with Ballistol, and in subsequent handling sessions I used a nice silicone cloth. If I ever see a spot of rust develop on it I'll let everyone know. It will be carried, and I get the feeling I'm going to want to shoot it regularly. Maybe I'll try a light coat of good car wax, too. We'll see.

Next up are the first targets - I've been pushing on the starting blocks to get to the range but haven't been able to make it there yet. Tomorrow looks like the day. The targets are ready, the pistol is ready, the range bag is ready, the ammo. is sitting there beckoning, and the day tomorrow is open - so I'm going to be posting them soon. I'm looking forward to shooting this pistol in a big way.

To morph the thread even further, I spend a pretty good amount of "quality time" with every new firearm I buy - rifle, pistol or shotgun - before I go to the range. It's really enjoyable. They're not like buying a new set of toenail clippers or something. :)

Al James

Hunter
I would recommend you buck the manual and field strip it prior to live fire. Just to give it a lookie if anything. Chances are it would fire fine as stated in the manual but I usually like to remove as many variables as possible when testing a new firearm. Just my .02!

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Al James said:
I would recommend you buck the manual and field strip it prior to live fire. Just to give it a lookie if anything. Chances are it would fire fine as stated in the manual but I usually like to remove as many variables as possible when testing a new firearm. Just my .02!

I took your advice and went ahead and did it. Here's the before photo:

LC9S_PRE_TAKEDOWN.jpg

Here's the photo with the pistol taken down.

LC9S_APART.jpg

It looked the same and worked just as well when I put it back together.

My notes:

1) It was very clean inside. A little bit of lube, some very minor dust (which probably came from me) but otherwise well-finished and clean.
2) Takedown is basically as described in the manual:
a) Clear pistol and insert inert magazine
b) Verify clear, rack slide and PULL TRIGGER <--- Hint: you MUST do this or you're asking for grief.
c) Lower takedown latch on "port" side of gun (left hand side, where controls are)
d) Turn pistol over. Carefully push slide back about 3/16ths of an inch.
e) Hold mouth right
f) Use very small diameter, soft punch, appropriate hex key, or pure magic to drive takedown pin out from the "starboard" to the "port" side.
g) Move slide forward and remove from pistol.
h) Hold slide so "up" is "up" and gently squeeze on guide rod spring assembly.
i) Remove guide rod and spring, barrel.
j) Pick up takedown pin from floor because you let it roll off the table.
k) Verify all is well

Reassembly is the reverse except that you don't put the pin back on the floor and you will have to hold your mouth right in a different direction to get it back in. :wink: Just line the slide up and kind of plop it in there, and then push a little and make sure it's seated. If you have trouble, take the slide back off again and make sure the barrel and guide rod are where they are supposed to be.

The first time will likely take you 10 minutes. The second time will likely take you 2 minutes. The tenth time you will probably do in 30 seconds.

3) Have a beer. <--- This is optional and completely at your discretion.

That's it! It looks good inside, there was no untoward garbage or anything else in there. In fact the interior surfaces are well finished and actually a little nicer than the ones on my SR9. The takedown is a bit of a chore but just take your time the first time. Don't lose the pin. :lol:

roylt

Hunter
blume357 said:
I like mine too, even though I have not shot it much since bought back in February.... my one complaint is the slide.... rusting from my sweat. I really wish Ruger would come out with a Stainless Steel version.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=530582855

Limit Ruger run of gold.

CoyoteHunter_

Bearcat
4x4moses said:
I've recently taken delivery of an LC9s Pro; but have yet to give it a workout. Any suggestions on OWB holsters?

I like the Alien Gear OWB leather holster with the Kydex shell. Since I changed my wardrobe I started carrying OWB instead of IWB. I find that OWB is much more comfortable.

The little LC9S Pro model is perfect for my every day carry. I also carry two extra magazines for the little pistol.

My first gun was the Walthers PPQ M2 and I found it too heavy to carry comfortably. I like the smaller LC9S Pro better for concealed carry.

Just wear a shirt un-tucked to conceal the holster and pistol.

Alan in GA

Single-Sixer
I was all set to buy a Glock 43. Got to my favorite LGS and talked with one of the handgun pros. I walked out with my new LC9s Pro and am very satisfied with it. Having a GCL I have carried my LC9 in my pocket a good bit. One bit of advice: Put your belt latch in the next hole making your belt TIGHTER....LOL.
I do not carry a round in the chamber. I've been made aware of TWO AD's in the last month! Both had no excuses...trigger was pulled intentionally with a round in the chamber! [not Ruger pistols but same size semi autos].
I'll just have to loose a few seconds or 'manage' if I need to draw my empty chamber Ruger. I hope I never have to!
I can't wait to shoot it!
What ammo do you 9mm guys like for your LC9? Any that fails to feed or stovepipe??
For pocket carry, do you use the magazine flat end cap or the finger extension version?

roylt

Hunter
I like flat base with pinky wrapped under. I too like it better than the G43. BIG crip is only one mag with the LC9s though. Cheaper than Dirt helped with that though.

I shoot win white box mostly but have not found a bad 9mm ammo in all my guns.

Alan in GA said:
I was all set to buy a Glock 43. Got to my favorite LGS and talked with one of the handgun pros. I walked out with my new LC9s Pro and am very satisfied with it. Having a GCL I have carried my LC9 in my pocket a good bit. One bit of advice: Put your belt latch in the next hole making your belt TIGHTER....LOL.
I do not carry a round in the chamber. I've been made aware of TWO AD's in the last month! Both had no excuses...trigger was pulled intentionally with a round in the chamber! [not Ruger pistols but same size semi autos].
I'll just have to loose a few seconds or 'manage' if I need to draw my empty chamber Ruger. I hope I never have to!
What ammo do you 9mm guys like for your LC9? Any that fails to feed or stovepipe??
For pocket carry, do you use the magazine flat end cap or the finger extension version?

Am I misunderstanding or are you stating that you carry the pistol but you haven't shot it yet? Perhaps you mean to say that you have been pocket carrying it sans a round in the chamber around the house to get used to it.

My recommendation is to put at least 500 rounds thru it with NO unexplainable failures, i.e user errors, before you trust YOUR life and your loved ones lives to it....

revhigh

Hawkeye
Alan in GA said:

Along with NHrugermans great advice ...

All I can say is ... WOW. Since far more failures of any kind occur when initially chambering a round vs actually shooting a round .... Your strategy is rife with chances to fail or malfunction, especially in an adrenaline charged life or death situation. And is likely to get you killed with your own gun, when the perp takes it away from you while you're fiddling around trying to chamber a round. Just because you read about a couple of other fools who shouldn't even be owning a gun doesn't mean you should take a page from their incompetent playbook.

If you're not comfortable carrying a firearm as it was meant to be carried, I'd suggest not carrying it at all or getting a lot more training and/or practice until you're more comfortable with the gun to carry it the right way. Or get a revolver.

Sorry, but you asked ....

I'd also highly recommend getting and reading Massaad Ayoobs book on concealed carry .... 'In the Gravest Extreme' .... You might not ever carry if you read that book.

REV

NixieTube

Blackhawk
revhigh said:
All I can say is ... WOW. Since far more failures of any kind occur when initially chambering a round vs actually shooting a round .... Your strategy is rife with chances to fail or malfunction, especially in an adrenaline charged life or death situation. And is likely to get you killed with your own gun, when the perp takes it away from you while you're fiddling around trying to chamber a round. Just because you read about a couple of other fools who shouldn't even be owning a gun doesn't mean you should take a page from their incompetent playbook.

If you're not comfortable carrying a firearm as it was meant to be carried, I'd suggest not carrying it at all or getting a lot more training and/or practice until you're more comfortable with the gun to carry it the right way. Or get a revolver.

Sorry, but you asked ....

I'd also highly recommend getting and reading Massaad Ayoobs book on concealed carry .... 'In the Gravest Extreme' .... You might not ever carry if you read that book.

REV

Whew! Hot lava! That was pretty scalding but it's basically true. If you carry a pistol defensively you should have a round in the chamber -- particularly with a modern gun. You don't want to rack the slide to chamber a round when the going gets tough. You will not do it well, in all likelihood.

Let's consider something like a home invasion scenario late at night. You hear the bump in the night, you're awakened from your bed, you know something is wrong, and you go to your pistol but you have to rack the slide to chamber a round. Unless you do it so quietly that the slide may not go back into battery, you're making noise and giving away your position. And this is one of the *least worst* examples.

There should be a round in the chamber all the time when the gun is "on duty." If you want the manual safety, buy it - but train with it. It's much better to have a little almost inaudible "click" than it is to have to rack the slide.

I've always carried my SR9 chambered with the safety on and that is how I'm going to be carrying my LC9s. The "extra step" is to make sure the safety goes off when the gun is drawn and frankly I may not always carry it in that configuration. These are very safe pistols unless you do something really dumb.

And when you're ready to put the gun away, by all means: clear it completely. You don't have to empty the magazine, you can just take it out. Springs don't suffer under static loads - it's actually constant loading and unloading of magazines that does more to wear springs out.

I'm no Massad Ayoob, but I agree with Revhigh. These pistols are designed for safe EDC with a round chambered. It's up to you to keep them that way.