P-Series P-94 slide not lockin back

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
What would cause a P-94 not to lock the slide back on the last round ? I have tried two different magazines. One thing I noticed is that it's slide stop is more stiffer than my other well-used P-94 .
Any help is appreciated

roylt

Hunter
Factory mags? Post a picture of the mag followers and the frame with the upper removed. Looking down the mag well from the top to be clear.

The slide stop may be dirty. Does it move in and out easy when field stripping?

Also you should be able to see how the mag follower and slide stop work by looking thru the ejection port with the slide pulled back. Does the mag follower move the stop as it should.

Let us know,

tercel89

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Factory mags? Post a picture of the mag followers and the frame with the upper removed. Looking down the mag well from the top to be clear.

The slide stop may be dirty. Does it move in and out easy when field stripping?

Also you should be able to see how the mag follower and slide stop work by looking thru the ejection port with the slide pulled back. Does the mag follower move the stop as it should.

Let us know,

I'm not around a camera right now but when I disassemble it the slide stop is VERY stiff and it hard to pull out from the frame when disassembling the gun.
When I mnually rack the slide with an empty the mag , the slide locks open fine.
I 'm wondering it I need to really degrease the slide stp area ? Plus I just realized that when I tested it yesterday , I was using my really low powered "bunny fart" loads that i reloaded to shoot soft 9mm. SO that may also have something to do with it. And yes I am using factory mags that work fine in my other 94.
And yes when I look down the ejection port on a open slide , the follower does work correctly with the slide stop.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
UPDATE : I got home and shot some regular power 9mm loads through it and it locks back just fine ! The reloads that I made that were very lightly loaded were just so soft that they cycled the gun but not far enough rearward to lock the slide.
I'm happy again ! Just goes to show you how well these P-series guns work. Even with light loads they still function enough to cycle and feed.
Thanks everyone for the help !

roylt

Hunter
Glad you got it. I would still clean the slide stop so it wasn't "sticky".

tercel89

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Glad you got it. I would still clean the slide stop so it wasn't "sticky".

Oh yes sir . Now that I know it functions like normal , I'll go into it and scrub that bugger all good and clean.

I had a P89 (several in fact) but the one I'm referring to was the one I had your exact same issue with.

The slide stop was put of spec so I was going to have to send it back to Ruger for repair. Luckily a friend of mine ordered a replacenet and showed me how to install it. Worked like a charm after that with most magazines. A few I had still required some tweaking.

Overall a successful fix.

Hope you get yours working.