Okay you Glock guys .... help me out please

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Overheard a conversation in the local gun store today.

One guy had ordered a G30S but was delivered a G30SF. Now, I thought the SF meant Short Frame and frankly, hadn't even thought about what the "S" stood for.

I commented that for many of us the Glocks are a tad bulky to conceal carry. These folks believe the "S" is for "Slim" and it was ordered for concealed carry which takes effect here January 1.

However ..... in looking at the Glock web site, it appears the SF and S are both the SAME width, length and height. (??) Only difference appears to be the S is about 3 ounces lighter. Do you believe this info on the Glock site is correct? Was a new model introduced for a 3 ounce weight reduction or ..... what am I missing?

hittman

Staff member
Ok, just had a chance to do some interweb searching.

This 30S is still a double stack. It's the 30 with a 36 slide. The body of the gun is the standard G30 width but the slide is 0.17" narrower making it something like 3 ounces lighter. Much ado about nothing is seems.

Never mind.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=glock+30+slim+frame+reviews&qpvt=glock+30+slim+frame+reviews&FORM=VDRE#view=detail&mid=B3C05CCEA9BF16FE364AB3C05CCEA9BF16FE364A

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
The SF frame is thinned from the trigger to the backstrap reducing the circumference. The 30S is as explained. CC is about size & weight for many so it is a big deal for someone looking at that option.

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
The 30s is double stack, narrower slide by about 1/4",lighter by about 4 ounces. Currently still has the gen 3 frame. Have never seen or handled either the 30SF or 30S, but have shot the 36. Everything I have read about the 30S has been very positive. If I can get my hands on one I will see how it fits me; but I think I will hold out for a gen 4 as I really like the grip texture and the interchangeable backstraps.

From what I can tell it is almost exactly the same size in every dimension as the M19 except for the frame being slightly wider. Empty, it's an ounce or so lighter than the 19!

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
Haven't held a 30S yet and have been looking. Nobody around here has one. The 30SF is a nice pistol.

The slide on the 30S being thinner may make it less bulky for IWB carry but the grip is still a double stack 45acp and I'm not sure how the end of the day "concealability" will be impacted. Today, I carry a S&W Shield 9mm or a S&W J frame 357 most of the time. Sometimes, I'll carry a Commander size 1911 and have even carried a Hi Power. The Hi Power does print and is best for those days when I'm wearing a heavy overcoat. More of a range toy for me. I wonder with the grip thickness of the 10 round 30S how it would compare to the Hi Power's 13 round 9mm?

Bottom-line, I'm interested in the 30S but not enough to plunk money down on one sight unseen.

Jeff

Mr25-06

Single-Sixer
If you want the reliability, customizability, and simplicity of a Glock, but in a very concealable package, why not just go with the 36? The 30s gives you the thin 36 slide, but with the bulky(yes it is doublestack) 30 frame. Of all the Glock pistols out there and being released, the G30s is the one that makes the least sense to me, but again, that is my opinion. I own a G36 and absolutely love the thing! If I am not throwing my Ruger LCP in my pocket, I am throwing my shoulder rig and G36 on. How can 1 mag in the gun and 2 mags in my shoulder holster, of .45 acp, not be enough?

I also have a couple mags with the +1 extensions in them and that still conceals WAY better then the G30 or G30s. :wink:

Jon

dakota1911

Buckeye
Given, like any Glock, you do not have a grip or thumb safety, and it is not a real double action, more like a stage fired, striker fired pistol, the little single stack 36 is not bad.

GKC

Blackhawk
I've owned a number of Glocks, including a 36, which was the only Glock model to fit my small hands comfortably. At the time, a few years ago, the 36 was a problem child...I don't know if it still is or not. I didn't have any problems with mine, other than the take down lever kept falling out (defective spring), but I knew lots of people who did.

Glock has just released a new model, in .380, that' supposed to be very slim and single stack. I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't do that in 9mm. They would sell a ton of them!

hittman

Staff member
GKC said:
Glock has just released a new model, in .380, that' supposed to be very slim and single stack. I can't for the life of me understand why they didn't do that in 9mm. They would sell a ton of them!

My thoughts exactly! And, there's still not a Glock truly small enough for CCW for many of us.

GKC

Blackhawk
hittman said:
And, there's still not a Glock truly small enough for CCW for many of us.

The 26 certainly isn't, IMO. I know people can and do carry them...or even full size pistols, like a Glock 21 or a government model 1911. I prefer to carry something much smaller. The Shield or LC9 is just the right size for me, for carry. The LCP is a little too small, even though there are times when I wish I had another one....like, if I am going running. (Since I can run about 5 feet, though, I'm never very far from my house gun. :oops: )

dougader

Hunter
If you look over on Glock Talk, you'll see a new thread about FTE with a G36. They seem to have problems with the 36 in waves. For me, it just didn't fit my hand right.

The new 380 (G42) is as big as several other makers' 9mm single stack pistols. I, too, think Glock should have made this new pistol in 9mm. The 380 caliber is a non-starter for me.

A fella has to have some standards, and for me the bottom threshold for a SD caliber in a semi-auto is 9mm.

Snowchief

Bearcat
I have read on another site where Glock is indeed going to release an "S" 9MM later this year. They wanted to slow release it for .380 sales sake.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
I've rented the .45 Glocks and the 30 is about as small in the grip as I should go for consistent accuracy.
Geoff
Who notes the 19 works better for me than the 26, but it is a highly individual thing. HIGHLY!