foreign proof marks

Help Support Ruger Forum:

AkRay

Single-Sixer
Do foreign proof marks add to or detract from the value of a Ruger revolver? I saw a nice 3 screw Single Six today but there were proof marks under the serial number and on the barrel next to the frame. It had the box and was supposedly unfired. It was a nice condition revolver with proof marks on it.

flattop44

Buckeye
I like them, depending on the country that they were proof marked in. Not many made it back to the states from a lot of those countries. Makes for an unusual addition to your collection. Oh, it has defintely been fired, they do that when they are proofed.
FT44

SATCOM

Blackhawk
I also find foreign proof marks interesting. Years ago the RCA offered Colorado Centennials that had originally been exported to France. Being imported, France had to put it's OK on them. Something about a group of new ones found in a warehouse in France. RCA had them returned to the U. S. and sold them at a discount to it's members. Just a little out of normal but surely not as different as B/D/S/U or ATF guns, In the 70s S/R did not make many special runs of guns for organizations or sellers, so these little Super Single Sixes were unusual at that time. These Colorado Centennials were about 10 years old when sold by RCA.

I would sure like to add a 3 screw with foreign proof marks to our accumulation, as 95% are old models. Specials like the four single action anniversaries, SRM, Made in the 200th Year of American Freedom, and a .17 cal Single Six are allowed in the safes because they are exclusively New Models.

SATCOM

I found a few of these over the years.
Here's the only handy picture of one .
I think this is on a OM 357 I bought from Cabalas
some years ago.
I also have a stamped NM 357 and a Single Six somewhere in the safe.
379520740.jpg

Found another one.
Sure hope I still have these guns.
Still have the pictures :D
285675521.jpg

I had a photo of the full RST package but every time I try to post it the pic of the blackhawk pops up. :?:
I'll work on that.

chet15

Hawkeye
Foreign proofed Rugers are especially interesting to collectors who specialize in certain series', like Flattops, or Bearcats or Single-Sixes. It is just nice to have a foreign proofed example as a part of the collection.
Chet15

SATCOM

Blackhawk
GLASSMAN,

West Germans also organized;

Maybe Left to right; Final Nitro Reproof (1971-1992), Munich Proof House, in 1972.

SATCOM

SATCOM

Blackhawk
The crown on the RST is same as the Proof Mark on the Ruger Super Single Six Centennials that were returned from FRANCE. St. Etienne Proof House for definitive nitro foreign short arms.

SATCOM

areslagae

Bearcat
Here you can find a large number of proof marks used by CIP countries:
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/hearings/20061004/imco/genco_en.pdf

The proof marks on the revolver indeed seem to be German (stylised version of the eagle, not in the document above).

All my Rugers have CIP proof marks given that I live in a CIP country ;-)

Latest posts