?? on S47 "Ess" marks...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

44Squatch

Single-Sixer
What is today's best educated guess, opinion, or factual data as to how many Super Blackhawk "S" guns exist, or wish to be known, or are accounted for?

A small wager has been placed amongst two of us on an over/under number (I'll tell mention it later...wouldn't want to sway anyone), and we thought the best way to settle it is to ask the most knowledgeable out there...the RF members.

And "yea", we have the books...they're dated...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

well as the books will often state, based on the info the writer had at the time of his writing, these guns are what they are 'seconds' came back for some reason, may have been used for salesmans samples, which by the way they tried to remedy by stamping those with a "U" or an "*", or whatever.....so they were NOT made this way, so only an audit?? ( for lack of words) of any and all service work will tell you, and as for 'records' ( like for a factory letter) it would then be a case by case basis....yes, some models of the Ruger line, there are (by the books) some lists of the 'noted' "seconds/return/re-release"........I'd say from all the guys that I know who collect "Supers" there are NOT a whole bunch of them, I know I've had only one of them over the years, sold it long ago, as at that time it was the ONLY 6 1/2 inch variation "S" known, till another was found, making it NOT a one of a kind any longer, so it would be more of a "compilation" of who has what currently, and not a "known number" admitted to , by the factory...........yes, ONLY Ruger collectors "get off" on collecting "seconds" ( mistakes) and put a premium to them...most of the others scrap them when they find them,BEFORE shipping them as a "finished product"....just MY "2 and a half cents".............
A better in depth check with Chad and the 'RENE' as his "
compilations are far more vast and varied and for a LONGER period of time.. AND YES, "current",,,,,.info ONLY as good as what WE , as collectors report/note, to him... :wink:

Ruger1441

Blackhawk
Carl you had 11798 in your hand when you were at my house. If not next time you come down we can let you play with it. 8)

Don't worry Flatgate cannot remember them ALL........ :lol:

so well guys?? just what MORE info can we get , should be more input from you that do collect the 'old model' Supers........ONLY one out in Utah?? yikes, I know where there are two here in Ohio :roll: no, make that 3.... 8)

Chad? how about some speculation..................... :wink:

radicalrod

Hunter
Dan, I hope you aren't counting the one I owned....it lives in AZ now....so we can say we know of maybe 5.....unless Chad has a few more....RR.

I know John, you guys DO 'try"...... 8) :wink:
I had checked into what we had noted over the years, and there are ( were?) two others 'non' prefixed,#25894 and 26037 (should be 6 1/2 inch guns)
and the 'prefixed' guns we know of are #80-15445,57650 and 56014.......

so that makes , with Rods ( unless his is in this batch, ???)5,6 or 7 guns???

Chad, what say yee.......???? :?:

chet15

Hawkeye
Here's my list:

25894 S46
26037 S46
80-05255
80-15445 with 12-1/2" barrel (employee gun)
80-56014
80-57650

So, 7 known.
With the percentages of other known rarities out there (i.e. 6-1/2" Supers, SC4's, BKH-41B's etc. at between 10 and 15% known of the total produced), there may be up to 200 or more factory "second" Supers out there. The problem with the OM factory seconds is they are really hard to come by because most people don't flip the gun to the underside to see if the "S" is there.
Chet15

RugerHound

Hunter
chet15 said:
The problem with the OM factory seconds is they are really hard to come by because most people don't flip the gun to the underside to see if the "S" is there.
Chet15

... Which could be why Ruger stamped 'em there in the 1st place???

chet15

Hawkeye
RugerHound said:

... Which could be why Ruger stamped 'em there in the 1st place???[/quote]

Yeah, maybe...the first "S" guns had the "S" after the serial number, so you may be on to something there. Might have been easier for the workman to stamp it there though too as the gun would be more solid laying on its top before stamping it.
Chet15