Cast bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Moey

Bearcat
Have .32, .357. 41. I don't cast my own. Who is your fav supplier and why? Coated?

Cholo

Staff member
I've had outstanding luck with www.pennbullets.com. I just weighed 3 their .32 SWC and they were within .1 grs. 3 of their .357 SWC were within .5 grains. That's pretty good! I loaded the last of my .44 bullets, but I have no reason to believe they wouldn't weigh within the same tolerances. I don't have a .41. I do wish they didn't have a bevel base, but I get zero leading when loaded sedately in a .32 long or sizzled out of a .32 mag. using 2400 powder. They're right on the button as far as hardness is concerned, but they won't tell you what it is. No matter. Priced right, too.

I like that I get the owner on the phone when I've called. He'll tell me what I need to max out the flat rate shipping weight box.

I've been looking at www.magnusbullets.com. They're competitively priced with Penn. I might order one of their sample packs when it comes time for a new order.

PS: I havn't tried the coated bullets in any caliber. One of my small pleasures in life if looking at a perfectly loaded cartridge with a proper lead bullet. It's a thing of beauty :) Absolutely nothing wrong with coated bullets!

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
The last time I ordered Cast Bullets it was from GT.
They make nice Kieth style for 357,44,45.
http://www.gtbullets.com

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I really like coated bullets. Bayou Bullets is a good source. Acme bullets are good also. In .357 I shoot some Berry's Bullets plated 125 gr.

I have not shot uncoated or unplated lead bullets so I have no real standard of comparison. The coated have been as trouble free as shooting jacketed bullets.

Mus408

Hunter
Depending on what I want in a certain caliber I like Missouri Bullets for their coated bullets,Matt's Bullets for excellent quality cast bullets in styles others don't have, and Better Bullets for just a good plain hard cast.
Have also used GT bullets and Cast Performance.
For plated bullets I like Xtreme.

mikld

Blackhawk
Occasionally I'll buy cast bullets to see if I want a particular bullet size/style before I buy a mold. As you can see from the answers above there isn't one caster that really stands out. I've gotten bullets with chunks of lube missing and varying diameters, and from the same caster on a different occasion, nearly perfect bullets. I would suggest a google search and visit some websites. One thing I always look for is if the bullets are available in different diameters. I have purchased cast bullets from Missouri, Matts, RMR, Beartooth (my favorite, excellent bullets, slow shipping), and Acme that I can remember off hand.