Question for you 17HMR guys about availability.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfee

Blackhawk
I dont own a 17, but am desperate to find 22wmr ammo. My local Wal Mart has stacks and stacks of Hornady 20gr 17HMR that they can't sell @ 12.99/50. Is this normal? If I buy a 17 just so I have a rimfire to shoot until 22 mag gets back to normal, will it be easy to find 17 at most outlets?

ryszardsh

Bearcat
Love my 17, great round. No problems at all finding ammunition either on line or in store even during worst of last year's shortages. I suspect that is simply a combination of the (slightly) higher price than 22LR and the lack of a good semi-auto weapon for the round. me I love it in either my Contender or a bolt action.

RAS

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
It's a great round and although not as plentiful around here as where you are at, it does seem to be easier to find.
Check out Wikiarms. I've seen quite a bit of 22 mag there, but you might have to be quick on the draw to get it.

32shooter

Blackhawk
The 17HMR is about the only rimfire to be found in my area with any regularity. I picked up a Cooper JSR in 17HMR several years ago and it is usually my go to rifle when I go grounghog hunting. You may not go back to the 22mag after using the HMR.

m657

Buckeye
great little round and nearly ALWAYS available many outlets I can't find 22LR.

Pick out a decent little rifle & give it a try.....you'll be pleasantly surprised.

If you have a Ruger 77/22mag, just change out the barrel to 17HMR.
I was in several chain and local gunshops last week. Some had 22 mag and some had 17HMR but none had 22lr. Son sent a pic of a Cabela's he was in yesterday that had a good sized pile of 22 and some 17 and 22 mag.
I like my 17HMR but I don't like it's inconsistencies. It kills groundhogs and coons well but I've not had good results with coyotes. I'm hoping to get it into some prairie dogs at some point.

m657

Buckeye
re: "I like my 17HMR but I don't like it's inconsistencies. It kills groundhogs and coons well but I've not had good results with coyotes. I'm hoping to get it into some prairie dogs at some point."

I know a local family that tells me the .204 Ruger has done wonders for their varmint problem.

sourdough44

Single-Sixer
I can find 17 HMR fairly easily. Since I got a Shilen 17 barrel for my 77/22 mag I shoot that more than the 22 mag. I have a few 22 mag handguns for the other ammo. Some of my favorite ammo stores are more the '2nd tier' type stores, FleetFarm or Farm & Fleet here in WI.

I bought some 22 ammo at a grocery store up North too(year ago). It was for a friend & marked up a bit too.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I see 17 hmr everytime I am in a store. Never buy any. Got about 6000 rounds on hand. Was unsure of the rounds staying power when it was introduced so I stocked up. Prices were real good when it was introduced. I paid about 7 bucks a box on average for what I got.