Dillon SDB question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Weather is not good for outside work so I've been loading more 9mm. The third time my low primer buzzer went off, I refilled and discovered primers falling out the bottom of the press. In addition, the movement of the shell holder block was tied up. After some dis-assembly, I was able to move things enough to basically scatter primers everywhere. Got the shell holder block to move and more primers fell out until apparently no more hiding in the works. Re-assembled and movement of operating handle is fine. Put a few of the dropped primers back in the feed tube and ran them through w/o issue.
It's been close to 2 years since I last used this loader and sort of forgot what I should be looking for. So what happened??

I may have found part of the problem. The plastic wedgie that advances the shell holder was worn and not working properly. Also looks like the slider that picks up a new primer and moves it over the priming punch has considerable wear which may be causing mis-alignment. I've had the press stripped and re-assembled with all the new parts I have but didn't have a new slider for the primer feed.
CS @ Dillon helped my get some parts on the way to fix the primer slider.

jgt

Buckeye
They recommended that I lube my priming system with graphite to help it run smoothly and reduce wear.

I don't keep a round count for reloading but I'm making a SWAG of 10K since I did some rejuvenation on this SDB. The primer feed and shell holder advance weren't part of that update. Fortunately, I'd just cleaned the floor around the press so didn't lose any/many primers. ;)

magpouch

Single-Sixer
I have a dozen or so Square Deals. Keep a supply of the little plastic "feeder" tips for the small and large drop tubes (the ones that stay in the primer system). I have tried calling Dillon for the part number so I could order a bunch of spares, but they just keep sending a few for free...

For the rounds it is capable of loading, the SDB loading machine is about the best deal there is...

Huskerguy72

Single-Sixer
The SDB is a relatively basic machine. Once you take the primer assembly out and look it over, it becomes apparent how it works. I am sure they had you measure and adjust the primer cup which is probably the most important part. After that, you are correct, a handful of plastic parts that wear out. I have had the most issues with the plastic piece that catches the primers in the tube and holds them there until the white plastic punch lets them drop down into the cup.

I've reassembled mine with the new plastic shell plate advance arm and it seems to be working properly now. When the other new parts arrive, I'll install them also. About the only other part that may be suspect(and I failed to notice this before calling Dillon is the ramped plastic part that actuates the primer feed. Guess we'll see if I should have ordered that also.
It's going to rain over the next few days and that'll be a bummer if I can't use those rainy days for loading.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a friend,, who owns about 4-5 Dillon SDB presses. He loves his machines. They do exactly what HIS needs are. He's the kind of guy who appreciates good equipment,, yet also understands his limits & desires. He has his "regular use machines," and a "spare or two" just in case he wants to swap around something,, or if something breaks down & he wants to continue until Dillon can get him replacement parts. Plus,, he has (3) kids,, who he tries to make sure each one will have the same things once he's gone.
I own a SDB, with a couple of lower used calibers for the loading I need for those calibers. But I recognize the limitations of the SDB. (Proprietary dies, only handgun calibers, and they can't use the KMS Squared lights.) At one time,, I actually owned 3 of them at the same time.
I also own a Dillon 550. It's primarily used for a few of the rifle calibers I need a larger volume of ammo for,, and still allow me the manual checking of the steps I prefer to use in my loading. It can be a plus or a negative,, the lack of auto-indexing,, depending upon the current use.
Next,, I own a pair of Dillon 650's,, which I got before the 750 was introduced. Of my Dillon's these 2 machines,, which each one is set about the same,, except for the priming system,, (one large & one small) do the majority of my progressive loading.

Unlike my friend,, I use a larger volume of ammo than he does,, so I truly appreciate the 650's and the way they operate. But each of us have different needs or desires. The SDB is an excellent machine,, with a few limitations,, that most of us can accept. But in my opinion,, for volume, reliability, ease of operation, the ability of using the aftermarket KMS Squared lights, my 650's are the cat's meow. My opinion.
And I had the opportunity to "upgrade" a little when a 750 came available. I decided to just stay with my 650's,, and allow someone else to own the newer 750. I hope he's still happy with it!

Each one of us who own & use a Dillon have an appreciation for the machines we prefer. And each one of us enjoy the way Dillon takes care of their customers.
Hard to beat any Dillon equipment!

I came up with a solution to having to wait on parts arrival: A while back I'd asked about running some primed cases through the SDB. I simply removed the entire primer feed and the decapping pin and began loading the primed 9mm cases I had on hand. Works fine and I plodded through 300-400 yesterday. Actually works well enough I ordered more of the Berry's Hybrid HP to continue loading when the parts get here.
Also 'found' a 1/2 full 8# can of 'Industrial AA#7' from a previous loading binge. Will have to do some load checking before using that but I do have my previous loading notes.

warren5421

Single-Sixer
I have 3, 2 are set with large and small primers. The 3rd/exter was rebuilt by Dillon after going through a flood and setting in a shead rusting. CS sent a REM sticker that paid shipping also. I use a 550 for rifle unless doing black powder then it is a Rock Chucker single stage.

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
I may have found part of the problem. The plastic wedgie that advances the shell holder was worn and not working properly. Also looks like the slider that picks up a new primer and moves it over the priming punch has considerable wear which may be causing mis-alignment. I've had the press stripped and re-assembled with all the new parts I have but didn't have a new slider for the primer feed.
CS @ Dillon helped my get some parts on the way to fix the primer slider.
Man, that's what I was going to suggest, I guess I'd had a SDB for 4-5 years before I (get this: WON) a 650 at a US Navy Marksmanship Team's cookout raffle!! That was in about 1995, so I'm afraid I've forgotten most of what I knew about the SDB, other then no matter what, call Dillon, they know their stuff and go beyond "honoring their warranty" by about a million miles and support shooting groups (like the US Navy Shooting Team) and others very generously!

I got the parts I requested fairly quickly. In the meantime, I found a 3 gallon bucket of primed 9mm brass and have been working out of that source. I'm working on the third 1K box of bullets and not stopping until those are gone. :D

Before ebay went anti-gun, I was buying various calibers of brass by the medium size (14"x14"x8") flat rate priority mail box full at very low prices. During winter when I was stuck inside I processed brass. Most of the 223 is ready to load but there are 8-10 boxes of mixed once fired 38 SP, 357, and 9mm cases just waiting for a need. I even found one of these boxes filled with 40S&W and I don't even own a 40-must have been too cheap to pass up.
BTW, there's a LOT of 9mm's in 3 gallons.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have more 9mm brass than I'll ever use. That's due to the fact that folks who shoot at my range,, mostly use 9mm, and leave a lot on the ground. I keep telling them; "This is not a lost brass match. Pick up all you want!"

Latest posts