SR22 Barrel Screw Fell Out

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rugerhouse

Bearcat
Added the SR22 to the arsenal last Friday and had a chance to shoot it over the weekend. Groups were all over the place with many failure to feeds, but I figured I needed to clean it and start over.

I took the gun apart to clean (very easy by the way) the first time and did not notice any barrel issues. The trigger felt grittier so I took it apart again and cleaned the internal parts a little better.

As I was putting it back together a long black screw fell out. The screw looked bigger than anything that could fit in the small gun so I set it aside. Once more I took it apart and this time the barrel was loose and able to move. Figuring this was not right I read the section on replacing the barrel. Sure enough that the was screw that fell out.

Clearly the screw had not been fully tightened upon assembly.

Range day 2 brought much better results. There was one ftf issue with a Winchester white box round in the first magazine and then it went on to run about 250 rounds of everything I threw at it. I checked the screw when I got home and it had not moved.

Can't wait to shoot it some more. It feels great in the hand and is a ton of fun to shoot.

Surly1

Bearcat
I had a similar experience.
IMG_4589.jpg

Fired 250 rounds of federal ammunition and noticed the barrel was pretty loose.
I took it apart and found the locating pin had damaged the barrel.

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg

The Ruger technician said the barrel was supposed to have 1/16" play and the deformation of the locating pin's seat was by design.

I went back to the range and fired 200 more rounds of federal ammunition. The barrel would become sloppy loose every 30-40 rounds and would have to be tightened back to specs. The wrench is 9/64 not 3/32 as the instructions suggest on page 25. I should have brought some thread locker.
IMG_4603.jpg

Inspecting the barrel again showed more damage to the locating pin's seat. The barrel will not sit evenly in its seat now.
IMG_4591.jpg

I wish the barrel was connected better.
Maybe a curb for the barrel to stop against, or a splined connection.
IMG_4590.jpg

Another small gripe is the magazine doesn't always seat easily. It sometimes requires a little pop with the heel of the hand.

rugerhouse

Bearcat
So now I wonder if a brand new Sr22 would have the same barrel deformation. Mine looks just like your first photo.

Looks like yours is getting worse. Mine did seem to stay tight after a few hundred rounds.

bspitt

Single-Sixer
thanks for the heads up...Just checked my after saturday's 1st outing (have not had a chance to clean it yet)....and sure enough its loose! gonna have to look into this a little more.

Brannon

John E Davies

Single-Sixer
I'm not impressed. That barrel locating pin is definitely a design flaw - there isn't enough surface area to stand up to recoil without damaging the barrel slot if the screw is at all loose. How about bedding the barrel in epoxy (like JB Weld)? That should cure any movement problems permanently.

That would give you a massive recoil lug the full width of the inner frame. If you were as anal as I am, you could even add a couple of extra steel pins, one on each side of the existing one, before laying down the epoxy.

Too strong is way better than too weak.

Oh yeah, use a release agent on the barrel and screw!

I want an SR-22 but I will wait for this stuff to get sorted out at the factory, and for a threaded barrel. I have a tuned up, Pac-Lite barrelled 22/45 in the meantime, so I am in no rush.

EDIT: the easy fix is for Ruger to replace that round pin with a square headed one (with round shank) that exactly matches the slot width. It would require more care during assembly to align it correctly. I expect fast assembly time was the reason they went with a round one.

John Davies
Spokane WA

rugerhouse

Bearcat
Round peg in a square hole sounds about right. For this little plinking 22 I don't think I am going to stress just yet. I will shoot it again Friday and see how it does. If it becomes an issue I am sure Ruger will fix it or I will take of a few of your suggestions and do it myself.

I just did a quick check and my barrel is seated firmly against the frame. No gaps. I wil make sure the screw is tight before and after and report back.

bspitt

Single-Sixer
I just spoke with Ruger CS. Was told the use of locktite on the screw would not be an issue. I was told that they use Locktite 271 so it can be removed again if necessary

davew41

Bearcat
Just checked mine and it was Tight.. Took it off anyway to check and my screw has a lock washer and all on it.. I duped some crazy glue in the threads and re tightened it all up we will see how it holds up.

I think we are starting to see the "true quality of a 300$ pistol"
I hope ruger gets their yugo together soon.

rugerhouse

Bearcat
I am guessing that as long as the screw stays tight there is really not a big design issue. It was designed to be removed and replaced for a threaded barrel some day.

My issue is that mine actually fell out. That means that someone is not tightening the screws before leaving the factory.

Time will tell if there is a real issue or just a quality assurance step that was skipped.

bspitt

Single-Sixer
bspitt said:
I just spoke with Ruger CS. Was told the use of locktite on the screw would not be an issue. I was told that they use Locktite 271 so it can be removed again if necessary

I dont think loctite 271 was the correct suggestion from ruger CS. 271 is the red permanate threadsealer that take heat to remove. I think I will stick with the loctite blue 242.

BP

rugerhouse

Bearcat
The screw is under the trigger when pulled back. The wrench is 9/64 not 3/32 according to srurly1. Does that help?

Doc Holliday

Single-Sixer
Mine hasn't moved since Day One, it's got a lockwasher on it and I made sure it's on there nice and tight after I tore it down the day I got it home. If you disassemble everything for a cleaning BEFORE taking it to the range and make sure it's back on there tight, it shouldn't be a problem, but yeah, that should be tight from the factory. Maybe an anti-gun person is working the line, who knows? Regardless, Ruger should address the issue or they will be replacing a lot of barrels because of that screw being loose.

The round 'location tab' in the frame should have been rectangular, to match the slot on the bottom of the barrel, or do it the other way and just make the barrel with a matching hole, instead of a slot.

Still, if you crank down on that sucker (very FIRM, but not to the point where you are lifting yourself off the ground) it won't come loose.

rugerhouse

Bearcat
I meant to add that you can tell without taking it apart.

Mine had a yellow dot on it. I always assume that was some type of inspection marker. If that is the case Mr or Mrs. Yellow dot needed to check that screw better.

Good luck and let us know what you run across. We love the SR22 other than this minor issue.

rugerhouse said:
Mine had a yellow dot on it. I always assume that was some type of inspection marker. If that is the case Mr or Mrs. Yellow dot needed to check that screw better.
More than likely it is a 'slippage mark' put there to let you know if the screw has loosened.

rugerhouse

Bearcat
I would still like for someone with a brand new unfired SR22 to take it apart to see if there is this type of mark on the barrel. I have a similar "dent" but not as bad. My barrel still seats nice and square.

Doc Holliday

Single-Sixer
rugerhouse said:
I would still like for someone with a brand new unfired SR22 to take it apart to see if there is this type of mark on the barrel. I have a similar "dent" but not as bad. My barrel still seats nice and square.

Mine does not have any such 'dents', it's very much squared off.