Zastava M85 bolt action .223 on the way

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Went to the fun store yesterday in search of a PC Carbine. They didn't have any, but there was a sweet little Zastava 85 .223 bolt action for $375.00. I've always wanted a bolt action .223 with sights so I layawayed it. My understanding is that this rifle has been produced for decades and imported by a variety of firms, most notably Interarms. This particular one is a recent Century import.

Anybody have experience with these? I'm not expecting sub-MOA out of the skinny barrel but I would think it should come close to a cheap AR. I wonder what the twist is? I couldn't find it on the Century or Zastava websites. Most report it is 1:12, one person said it is more like 1:9.5. If it shoots Hornady 55 grain soft points well I'll be happy.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
We must have pics on arrival, I never went for the 223, I am more of a Ruskie fan, still sonds like a decent deal

FergusonTO35

Hunter
You got it. Interestingly, Howa now makes a mini action rifle too. I considered it, but it costs more than their standard 1500 and I would have to have sights installed on top of that.

gunzo

Hunter
If this is what Interarms called the Mini Mauser, my brother has had one for 25? years. I mounted a scope for him adjusted the trigger, which is more than serviceable.
It shoots 50 & 55 grain bullets well. It's led a hard life & keeps on ticking.

p5200

Bearcat
I owned a Zastava MP22R LR ( Remington Model Five) and it's accuracy was right along with my CZ 452 Varmint but that's the only Zastava I've ever owned but, it was a sweet shooting gun!

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Glad to hear it. If the 85 turns out to be a winner one of it's larger brethren may join it. A Zastava in 6.5 Creedmoor would be an instant purchase!

vmax204

Bearcat
I have a Zastava M85 in 7.62x39 with the full mannlicher stock. It is a great little rifle and even with the full stock weighs just under 6 1/2 lbs. It isn't a true Mauser action as it doesn't have controlled round feed but it is all metal construction with adjustable trigger and cold hammer forged barrel. You won't find any plastic on a Zastava. The action was a little rough when I first got it but with a little polishing it works just fine. The wood is very utilitarian with stamped chequering but conforms to a working mans rifle. I'm sure you will be quite happy with your new purchase. If you want pretty wood and a detachable magazine you can buy a CZ for 4-5 hundred dollars more but it won't shoot any better.

smith1961

Blackhawk
Anybody seen the Zastava M70 around? I saw a couple new at Cabela's last year but can't find any anywhere. Looking for one in 6.5x55 or 9.3x62 cals. Nobody seems to know who is distributing these.

The CZ 527 is basically the better finished version of the M85.

vmax204

Bearcat
smith1961 said:
Anybody seen the Zastava M70 around? I saw a couple new at Cabela's last year but can't find any anywhere. Looking for one in 6.5x55 or 9.3x62 cals. Nobody seems to know who is distributing these.

Tradex Canada has lots in different configurations both right and left handed

smith1961

Blackhawk
vmax204 said:
smith1961 said:

Yeah, seems we're SOL down here, Century Arms and the FIME group are listed as retailers for USA, but my LGS contacted both and they don't have them since last year
:cry:
Add the fact that CZ has stopped the 550's now too!
:shock:

vmax204

Bearcat
smith1961 said:
vmax204 said:
smith1961 said:

Yeah, seems we're SOL down here, Century Arms and the FIME group are listed as retailers for USA, but my LGS contacted both and they don't have them since last year
:cry:
Add the fact that CZ has stopped the 550's now too!
:shock:

How bad do you want one. Traadex Canada has both the 6.5x55 and 9.3x62 M70 in stock for 695.00 CAD (543.00 US) I'm sure you can import one if you are willing to pay the brokerage fees. I just bought a Ruger RSI in 6.5x55 from the US and had it imported to Canada. It cost me an extra 250.00 + tax to get it here so you might ask your local gun shop if they can import for you. There is an outfit called "I Run Guns" that brokers firearms across the border you might check as well.