YOUNG ANTELOPE BUCK [Game warden story added] opinions ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

street

Hunter
Doc! That game warden was "A 14 K, GOLD PLATED SON OF A BIT**!!!" :evil: :evil: :evil: That's what you get when you give a little nobody some authority. And here I thought that Don Knotts past away. It look as if there is more then one Barney Fife out there. Doc! You did the right thing by shooting the dieing animal and I would considering turning in a complaint to this game wardens boss.

contender

Ruger Guru
Doc,, I can't add much except to say that I too agree with all the above posters who know you did the right thing.
I teach Hunter Safety,, and "ethics" is a part of the class.
I'm gonna use this as a "what would you do?" lesson.

Now, if it had been me,,, I would NOT have argued with the warden,, but rather placed a call to his district supervisor & explained what happened. I would have politely explained everything,, and asked for his opinion. If the supervisor was any kind of a good warden,,, he may have been able to get your tag returned.
But,,, if he chose to stand behind the warden,, then I would have politely informed him that I would no longer seek any help from the wardens,, nor could they expect me to offer any information when I saw any "real" violations. I would politely explain that I had lost trust in them.

oregon73

Blackhawk
Doc, you did the right thing. I'm glad you put that animal out if its misery. And I really, really enjoy your photography.

Rob

doccash

Buckeye
I really feel good that I did what I did and stayed cool about the outcome and all of these thoughtful comments have reinforced those feelings. Thanks to all and as you might imagine there has been plenty of conversation about the 'situation' locally. I have already been promised permits for next year by some ranchers and have generally been patted on the back about the entire scenario. Thanks Again. Dr.C

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
A game warden's job can be tough. It is even tougher when you do not have the respect, albeit grudging, of the people you are dealing with.

I am reminded of the last line in the movie "The Professionals" when Lee Marvin was accused of being a bastard. His reply "Yes sir, in my case an accident of birth, but you are a self made man"

This warden is self made.

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
The only mistake was calling the Game Warden in the first place. I was on my horse one day and saw a deer get hit by a car. The deer was seriously hurt but not dead. The person who hit the deer called the Highway Patrol. The officer got there and decided the deer had to be shot and put out of it's misery. The officer asked me to take his gun and shoot the deer! I couldn't believe what I just heard. The officer said he wasn't a hunter and didn't know where to shoot the deer. I told the officer he would have to do the shooting. I got back on my horse and left for home. I heard 4 shots, that poor deer! BHK

flyinfred

Blackhawk
You did good Doc...and you should know that all of us here are proud of you and not just for your photography!

And as my grandmother would have said: shame shame shame on that pos (ok, that she would not have said!) excuse of a
game warden!

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
The Blackhawk Kid said:
The only mistake was calling the Game Warden in the first place. I was on my horse one day and saw a deer get hit by a car. The deer was seriously hurt but not dead. The person who hit the deer called the Highway Patrol. The officer got there and decided the deer had to be shot and put out of it's misery. The officer asked me to take his gun and shoot the deer! I couldn't believe what I just heard. The officer said he wasn't a hunter and didn't know where to shoot the deer. I told the officer he would have to do the shooting. I got back on my horse and left for home. I heard 4 shots, that poor deer! BHK

Hi,

A customer at the range told a very similar story years ago. He did a lot of deer hunting in CA's Eastern Sierra zones growing up, and was going on another hunting trip up there. Same thing: he sees a deer hit along the road, deer is obviously suffering, so he pulls over.

CHP's already there, only this officer didn't know what to do. Our guy told him to shoot the animal. No joy: "I can't do that." So our guy said, "Well, I can!" then opened the back of his vehicle, got out a rifle and dispatched the doe.

CHP officer told him "That was cruel!"

Our guy told him, "No, NOT doing it was cruel." He stuck around until the warden who'd already been called by CHP arrived, told his story, and the warden thanked him. Then the warden told him he could go and wished him luck on his own hunting trip. Seems that's the way these things SHOULD play out...

Rick C

Joe S.

Hunter
wow Doc, sorry to hear you got a butt hole game warden to respond. i am just thankful you had a tag... i shutter to think of the outcome, had you not had one.

you did the right thing, but you know that. i hope you score a trophy your next hunt! and at least you have the pictures to remember that one by!

mishtub

Blackhawk
Doc, You did the right thing. Game warden, maybe he'll learn someday.
Several years ago during bow season I was headed to town and saw a small buck just standing 30 yards off the road. He didn't move when I stopped and I knew then something was wrong with him. Went back to the house and got my bow and returned to find he hadn't moved. I put him down and put my tag on him, not bothering to call the Fish & Game guys. When processing , I figured he had been hit by a vehicle because his right front quarter was busted up something fierce. I guess my Dad must have taught me right because it didn't matter whether any of the meat was usable or not to me, the poor critter deserved his suffering to end. Of all the deer I have taken over the years, he is only one I had mounted (definitely not the most impressive rack). It helps serve as a reminder to me (and anyone who asks "Why did you mount that goofy little rack?") to do the right thing, no matter the consequences. As a bonus, about 1/2 the meat was fit to eat.

redeye

Bearcat
I have a similar story. Back in the mid eighties my BIL and I were rabbit hunting a river bottom on the family farm. I had just traded for an old model 12 Winchester the night before and though I had other shotguns with me , decided to take it out that morning.
My BIL had shot a rabbit and since he did't have a game coat put it in mine. We had done this many times and thought nothing of it.
We saw the game warden drive down the road , and since they had just turned turkeys loose in our part of the country , we decided to stop him on his way back to see if the state would be opening a season that spring .
We walked up to the road and waited for him to return . When he stopped he asked if we had done any good and Tom told him he had got one so far . I pulled it out and showed it to him along with our licenses.
He then asked me if I had a plug in my shotgun. I sheepishly told him about the recent trade and told him I never thought to check it . I only had 2 in the tube and 1 in the chamber though. I handed him the gun and another shell as he requested.
sure enough no plug , I offered to cut one for it or to put it away . No Way !!!
After the ticket and a days work missed the County Judge gave the man a good dressing down in court and thanked me for not paying the fine and coming to court to fight it . I told the judge I wasn't there for a fight , only to see if anyone in authority had any common sense left. He chuckled and told me not at the state level.
No matter who was right or wrong in that situation , it taught me a good lesson , #1 , it could have been handled a lot different in the field
#2 , I have hunted with a double gun ever since , no confusion.
#3 , Since he had not even seen us that morning , NEVER ASK A ROOKIE A SIMPLE QUESTION !!!!

Bill

No.1Nick

Single-Sixer
contender said:
Doc,, I can't add much except to say that I too agree with all the above posters who know you did the right thing.
I teach Hunter Safety,, and "ethics" is a part of the class.
I'm gonna use this as a "what would you do?" lesson.

Now, if it had been me,,, I would NOT have argued with the warden,, but rather placed a call to his district supervisor & explained what happened. I would have politely explained everything,, and asked for his opinion. If the supervisor was any kind of a good warden,,, he may have been able to get your tag returned.
But,,, if he chose to stand behind the warden,, then I would have politely informed him that I would no longer seek any help from the wardens,, nor could they expect me to offer any information when I saw any "real" violations. I would politely explain that I had lost trust in them.

Well said!