Yet Another LC9 Review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Lawman543

Bearcat
I finally got my LC9 to the range this morning to qualify with it as a back up weapon. I had sent it back to Ruger to fix a loose front sight before I even got a chance to fire it. They fixed it with a pin.

First I fired a magazine full of mixed 115 grain ammo just to get a feel for it at 15 yards. Seemed to shoot a little high. The trigger pull is actually pretty good for this type of pistol. It was long, but not too heavy and very smooth. I qualified with my duty weapon first and scored a 98 (I usually drop one at the 25). Then it was on to the Ruger in the second relay.

We started qualification at the 25 yard line; 12 rounds, FBI q target. I used 115 grain Blazer Brass. After a couple of rounds, I noticed it was shooting pretty high. I ended up aiming at the bottom of the target just to get some rounds in but many still went high. I think I dropped 6-7 rounds there. I got a little worried. Also noticed that as the magazine began to empty, it seemed to kick more. At the 15 and 7 yard lines, it was on the money, much better than the practice I took. However, at the 5 yard line, shooting one hand, a couple went wide right. Maybe it was due to shooting with one hand, but at 5 yards it's almost impossible not to get everything in. But I probably got a little cocky. I ended up with a score of 80 (dropped 10 rounds). Not too bad I guess but maybe I can improve when I become more familiar with the pistol.

I didn't have a single issue with it. It fed everything just fine. No FTE, FTF, or light strikes as have been reported. It was on target for the most part. Only had issue with shooting high at 25 yards. Though I only have about 100 rounds through it (40 were fired at the factory to check function) I think it is very reliable and performs great.

buckshotshorty

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the review. In fairness, I don't think the LC9 is intended for 25 yd. fire. Asking for accuracy with a little gun at that distance is hopeful at best, although at 11 yds. I can usually hold my LC9 to about 3-4" off hand.

For me, the LC9 seems to shoot most accurately with 147 gr. sub-sonic ammo.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
How was the recoil and the ergonomics? I had the KelTec equivalent of this gun, and it always caught me on the thumb joint to the point I needed a bicycle glove to shoot it.
It may be a factor of hand size and shape, but the guy I sold it to complains about the same thing. Yes, I did tell him about the problem before I sold it... :lol:
Moon

Lawman543

Bearcat
buckshotshorty said:
Thanks for the review. In fairness, I don't think the LC9 is intended for 25 yd. fire. Asking for accuracy with a little gun at that distance is hopeful at best, although at 11 yds. I can usually hold my LC9 to about 3-4" off hand.

For me, the LC9 seems to shoot most accurately with 147 gr. sub-sonic ammo.
We have to shoot from the 25 no matter the size of the pistol. I have qualified with a Kel Tec P3AT only hitting 3 out of 12 at the 25. Fortunately, you can miss everything at the 25 and still qualify (have to score at least a 70). I would hesitate to engage a target at 25 yards but I know I can hit it with a little luck if I have to.

Lawman543

Bearcat
halfmoonclip said:
How was the recoil and the ergonomics? I had the KelTec equivalent of this gun, and it always caught me on the thumb joint to the point I needed a bicycle glove to shoot it.
It may be a factor of hand size and shape, but the guy I sold it to complains about the same thing. Yes, I did tell him about the problem before I sold it... :lol:
Moon
I have long fingers and it fits me pretty well. There's a little biting around the safety, but I seem to have that problem with many pistols due to my hand shape. I am considering getting a bicycle tube as the checkering on the grip is a little aggressive. The recoil is a little heavy for a 9mm, but not beyond what you would expect for it's size and weight. It handled triple taps fairly well, but not as fast as I am with my GLOCK .40, even the G27.