XR3Red type Brass Grip Frames

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Colonel Daddy

Buckeye
Would apprediate comments on XR3Red Brass grip frames and aftermarket grip frames. Are aftermarket grip frames still being produced? Quality? Any particular markings on the frames I should be aware of? Price range?
Thanks for any comments.

The only after market brass gripframes that I am currently aware being made are the two piece Colt style, ala XR-3, for the Rugers by Ron Powers. I just got one last week and it was right around $260 shipped.

flatgate

Hawkeye
200067983.jpg

Here's one being fitted to a .44 Flattop. Scarce? Yes, but they are still out there.....

flatgate

Sorry Scary, those just look like brass bisleys. The really are made out of unobtanium! John Linebaugh had a mold made and has had a few cast and somehow Milt Morrison got one "trees" worth of gripframes and the last of them were sold a few years ago.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
scary said:
Where can I get one of those Bisley brass frames?

Be VERY lucky and just jump when you do see one. VERY few produced. Originally I heard less than 20 but then more were produced by John Linebaugh. I have 2, and know roughly the wereabouts of 4 more. None available.

scary

Bearcat
Robb Barnes said:
Sorry Scary, those just look like brass bisleys. The really are made out of unobtanium! John Linebaugh had a mold made and has had a few cast and somehow Milt Morrison got one "trees" worth of gripframes and the last of them were sold a few years ago.

Well, if I can't get unobtanium, maybe I can get one made of transparent aluminum? :shock:

Here is one of them on an old model flat top 44 Special conversion. It is at Roy Fishpaws right now getting a new set of "shoes" installed in place of hte black micartas. I havea second one that I sent back to John Linebaugh to fit to one of his early 475 conversions I have. I talked to him last night and it should be home in a week or so.
IMG_1280.jpg

NorEaster

Blackhawk
Colonel Daddy said:
Would apprediate comments on XR3Red Brass grip frames and aftermarket grip frames. Are aftermarket grip frames still being produced? Quality? Any particular markings on the frames I should be aware of? Price range?
Thanks for any comments.

Just get the frames you have brass plated
It will stand up to the use they will get just as well.

begger

Bearcat
NorEaster said:
Colonel Daddy said:
Thanks for any comments.

Just get the frames you have brass plated
It will stand up to the use they will get just as well.

Any feedback concerning this process would be greatly appreciated.

Hugh

Buckeye
Colonel Daddy said:
Thanks for any comments.

Don't know where there is a brass grip frame. Numrich has Stainless and Blue Steel for the New Model Blackhawk (XR-3RED) size. The ears stick up some like you see in Flatgate's post, and they'll have to be ground down. Stainless $127.90, Blue Steel $114.00. I ordered Blue Steel for one of my .45 Cal New Model Blackhawks, and they fit fine, just had to grind the ears down and reblue. Bought Stainless elsewhere and they also had to be ground down and polished.

Here is the URL at Numrich for the New Model Blackhawk:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=8344

Item 23, bottom of page 4 and top of page 5.