WTS-Birdshead Vaquero by Clements

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I purchased this gun earlier this year and carried it many times over the summer but just decided I will stick to one of my smaller framed short barrel guns. The gun is and original sized Vaquero with the birds head grip. The original owner sent to gun to David Clements and he re-barreled the gun with a new 4" barrel, serrated the front sight, honed the cylinder chambers and set the end-shake on the cylinder. He also fit a Super Blackhawk hammer. I prefer the bisley spurred hammer so I found a scarce carbon steel bisley hammer and carefully hand fit to the birds head grip frame then had Ryan Ross blue it a beautiful deep dark blue. I also fit the walnut grips to the frame and intentionally left them fairly thick so the new owner could sand or shape them down to best fit their hand. The gun will come with bot the bisley hammer it currently wears AND the SBH hammer as well.

The shipped price with shipping being via USPS Priority mail from my ffl to the buyers ffl is $925 and I have no problem with a person breaking it up into two payments. If the payment plan is used, the shipped price would be $950.

The first "I will take it" followed by a PM gets it locked down. The time stamp on the "IWTI" dictates who get the gun.

Thank you for looking,

Robb
LSghTR7.jpg

Cae5REV.jpg

It isnt a 41 BUT you should buy the 3 screw 44 Special that has been welded up to a Colt or Vaquero style top strap that Lou has for sale here on the forum. Simple cylinder swap and barrel swap and you get an Old Model 41 Vaqeuro! I used to own the gun he is sellling and it is a nice conversion. The cost he has on it is about what the welding would cost.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Smith,

Robb is right. With a mid frame 357 cyl reamed to 41, a 41 take off factory barrel, and Lou's Clement custom old model 3 screw, here: http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=283198

You'd have a one of a kind Vaq style 41.

smith1961

Blackhawk
Well......
Thanks to Brian (aka gunsbam69) I already have the .41 takeoff barrel. So I am am getting there slowly.
Was thinking of finding a beater or better grade .357 Vaquero and just have someone install the barrel,
ream out the cylinder to .41 and shape it all up to look good.

nmiller08

Bearcat
Robb, I love what you did with the Vaquero, and the walnut turned out great! I've still got quite a bit of that chunk of walnut, several slabs are cut to 1/2" thickness for grips if you're interested (just for the cost of shipping), shoot me a PM.

Booshog

Ol' Bushy in the Cottonwoods
[*]
Hondo44 said:
Smith,

Do you want a full size Vaquero for 41 Mag or a mid size New Vaquero for 41 special? Blue or stainless?

Plenty of room for the .41 magnum on the small framed Vaquero. That's as much gun as you can get in the medium sized Ruger frame and still have 6 shots.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Booshog said:
[*]
Hondo44 said:
Smith,

Do you want a full size Vaquero for 41 Mag or a mid size New Vaquero for 41 special? Blue or stainless?

Plenty of room for the .41 magnum on the small framed Vaquero. That's as much gun as you can get in the medium sized Ruger frame and still have 6 shots.

You mean the "smaller" frame New Vaq. The small frame Vaq is a .22 Single six size. Ruger calls it the Vaquerito.

The med frame New Vaq is made in a 6 shot 45 Colt chambering and Ruger approves it for use of "Ruger Only" Tier II 45 Colt loads, and although these are closer to 41 Mag pressures, the 41 Mag is not approved in a cyl made of standard stainless material.

Acceptable? Yes, but only with a custom made cyl of heat treated Carpenter Custom 465® stainless, a premium quality, high strength, age-hardening stainless alloy that Ruger uses for their large frame 454 and 480 cyls.