Wtb SP101, 357, 4", No dealer with an offer??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
I know there are several dealers on here so was wondering what you can do. Looking for 1 to 4 of these for some guys at work.

Shipping would be to 50703 zip. Let me know and thanks,

Roylt

retired2006

Bearcat
I am not a dealer, but you can buy them here:

http://grabagun.com/search/?q=ruger%20sp101%20.357

No CC fees, low freight, I have used them several times, NO problems.

ACRYLICTNK

Buckeye
I realize these are tough times, but I have to say I'm a little disappointed lately - I have offered some smoking deals here to Forum members over the past few years. I used to have such great response, but now even the few who do commit to purchase sometimes don't follow through. The poster asked for a price from a dealer on the SP101s. I posted a price that will leave me less than a $30 profit per gun (less than 6%) and still no takers. I've recently sold several guns on the auction sites with prices ranging from $2395 to $12,500 in the last 30 days, along with the normal firearms. Is the Ruger market fading or is money that tight? What do you want to see offered for sale here? Any thoughts? Please don't take offense, I'd honestly like to know.

VernTMG

Single-Sixer
Your deals are good but for us in Arizona the tax rate sometimes is higher than shipping and insurance and with a $20 transfer. This is out of your control for sure that could be why in some cases your having better luck on Gun broker. Good luck

JLarsson

Single-Sixer
ACRYLICTNK said:
I realize these are tough times, but I have to say I'm a little disappointed lately - I have offered some smoking deals here to Forum members over the past few years. I used to have such great response, but now even the few who do commit to purchase sometimes don't follow through. The poster asked for a price from a dealer on the SP101s. I posted a price that will leave me less than a $30 profit per gun (less than 6%) and still no takers. I've recently sold several guns on the auction sites with prices ranging from $2395 to $12,500 in the last 30 days, along with the normal firearms. Is the Ruger market fading or is money that tight? What do you want to see offered for sale here? Any thoughts? Please don't take offense, I'd honestly like to know.

I imagine it's a combination of money being tight and people looking for very specific things. If I remember correctly, you offered a .41 Magnum Bisley Hunter (or may have been a Blackhawk Hunter) here awhile back, and while I was VERY interested, and your price seemed good, I already have a .44 Magnum Bisley Hunter and couldn't justify that degree of expense at that time.

I am currently looking for a GP-100 in .22 LR, but I'm pretty sure I can't afford it right now and I have a few other .22 revolvers, so this would be filling a niche that is partially occupied already. For me, if I ever manage to get one, it will be a substitute for the stainless K-22 I've always wanted but never found a good deal on.

hesco

Bearcat
ACRYLICTNK said:

Those high dollar guns ain't going to middle classers, on fixed incomes that have been raped by the currant government administration, taxes, healthcare, energy, education,insurance,food ect are thru the roof, now banks are about to pay negative interest.

contender

Ruger Guru
I can echo the above sentiments about how Acrylictnk has been an excellent dealer & offered us some very fair guns. I think I've bought a few from him as well. Top notch.

But to answer his question,,, I think a few folks have hit the nail on the head. We are seeing the effects of trickle down economy. Too much is being taken by the government,,, especially in healthcare. Add in the very competitive nature of retail places,, as well as the internet,,, it's getting harder & harder to come by extra spending money & then buying something.

I had a guy visit me the other day to see my new American. He likes it, and asked; "How much did you give for it? I told him they were selling for XYZ,,, and he replied; "I'll wait,, I've seen them sell for less than that on the internet." He forgets the shipping & FFL fees. I was quoting a local gun shop price.

Acrylictnk,,, PLEASE keep on offering us the very fair prices.

roylt

Hunter
Your offer is fair and with transfer on this end it would be about $581.00

The local shop said $550.00 + tax. So it would be approx. $580.00 in hand.

At this point a wash either way.

Then the guy I asked for has seen these sell on Gunbroker for under 500. With freight and transfer it would yield about $550.00 in hand.

This is just a want for him so he is not in a hurry and thinks if he waits a little Gunbroker will come thru.

I do appreciate the offer and passed the info along. If anything changes I will let you know.

Acrylictnk, I appreciate your offers here. I don't think it's your price or selection, but more a factor of an insecure population, with the government we've got and the fact that people are unsure of what is going to happen, who will be the next president, will things get better or worse. It all adds up. Being retired I no longer shop for new guns, I don't need a new gun, actually I don't need any more guns, but I do occasionally get tempted by a used one at a good price. Maybe that's the market here. Probably not a good deal for you with all the shipping and can get the same price from people locally and not have the hassle of shipping so that is understandable.

ACRYLICTNK

Buckeye
Interesting comments for sure. When I run the numbers, I see less than a $30 profit - and that doesn't take into account the inbound shipping, paperwork, or the time and material for packaging the gun and driving it to the post office. I get $25 for a transfer so the extra $5 for investing over $500 of my money seems like a big waste of time. Ruger has minimum pricing through distributors so I pay the same price that they do. I'll still list some deals here when I think they will be popular but I hope Forum members will support more of the "little guys" instead of the profit killing online boys - you know who I mean so I don't need to give them any advertising by posting names.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Totally agree with you, Mike. And that is why I didn't even bother to try to quote a price. All dealers can get the guns for roughly the same price, from the same distributors. I am not interested in a race to the bottom...to find the one dealer that is willing to sell something for the least amount of profit. It just isn't worth investing my money into it, even if for a week or two, to make $20-$30 when I can invest that same amount of money into other guns.

All of the comments above are true. Money is tight, the economy sucks, and people want to spend as little as possible for something. I get that. But when that means that the expectation is that a dealer should make no money, or $20-$30 on one gun, it will result in what we saw here, which is very little interest in responding to the query. It just isn't worth it.

If that's going to be the operating model going forward, then, at least for new guns, I'll just stick to doing transfers. Which I believe more and more dealers are going to do, again, for new guns, and increase transfer fees, and let the big guys sell on line, and use us little guys for the transfer. The little guy will make his/her $20-$30 (or $50 if it goes on) on the transfer and not have to worry about holding inventory and/or competing with the "lowest profit" guys.

Just my $0.02

BB45C

ACRYLICTNK said:
Interesting comments for sure. When I run the numbers, I see less than a $30 profit - and that doesn't take into account the inbound shipping, paperwork, or the time and material for packaging the gun and driving it to the post office. I get $25 for a transfer so the extra $5 for investing over $500 of my money seems like a big waste of time. Ruger has minimum pricing through distributors so I pay the same price that they do. I'll still list some deals here when I think they will be popular but I hope Forum members will support more of the "little guys" instead of the profit killing online boys - you know who I mean so I don't need to give them any advertising by posting names.