WTB Lee Classic Loader 38 or 357

Help Support Ruger Forum:

magnum0710

Bearcat
Want to buy a Lee Classic Loader in 38 special or 357 magnum, doesn't matter which. I know these aren't expensive new just wanted to see if anyone had a used one they didn't want or use anymore. I'd also be interested in 9mm or 380 too but mostly looking to start reloading for my revolver.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I started out with Whack-a-moles in 1971. Got up to a dozen before I switched to a press. Just last year I sold the whole pile on Craigslist. 20 bucks for 12 loaders - all complete and functional. If I knew they were as valuable I would have priced them higher.

For others that are also looking, they are on ebay quite often.

magnum0710

Bearcat
I started out with Whack-a-moles in 1971. Got up to a dozen before I switched to a press. Just last year I sold the whole pile on Craigslist. 20 bucks for 12 loaders - all complete and functional. If I knew they were as valuable I would have priced them higher.

For others that are also looking, they are on ebay quite often.
I was looking on ebay for a while just figured I'd check the forums first. The used ones were going for close to new price. The whack a moles are actually perfect for me since I live in an apartment, I really don't even have space to set up a hand press.

magnum0710

Bearcat
I just found something very interesting, as we all know the 38 lee loader can also be used for 357 mag and vice versa. Since I'm going to need a replacement part for the kit I'm getting from Contender (thank you again sir!!!) I started looking at prices for different parts and the 357 magnum data and powder dipper. I clicked on the 9mm replacement parts out of curiosity and it looks like most of the parts are the same for the 9mm Loader.
It looks as if the only differences are the pistol body, the decap chamber, and of course the load data, everything else is the same! The 9mm Pistol Body was even listed as a replacement part.
I emailed Lee to see if this was correct, since I need to order a few parts anyway I figured I'd see if I could add a few more parts and set up to reload 9mm as well. The rep from Lee told me all of the parts were different for 9mm. I sent her links to both pages showing that roughly 90% of the parts and part numbers were the same and she still said this was incorrect. Ok so then why does the website have a bunch of 38 special parts listed as replacements for the 9mm Loader? What's really interesting is now the 9mm Pistol Body has disappeared from the replacement parts after I emailed Lee, but it comes up in my recently viewed parts. I'm guessing no one was supposed to realize this?
I have no issue buying a a whole kit to reload 9mm just figured if I'm already buying parts I might as well make it easier on myself and buy a few more and set myself up. Kind of funny how the Pistol Body disappeared after my email? Just goes to show it may not always be best to double check with the company.

Everything is the same except for the Decap Chamber and load data, part numbers and all!!! And of course the pistol body that disappeared after I asked about it. 🤣

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I just found something very interesting, as we all know the 38 lee loader can also be used for 357 mag and vice versa.
A 38 works for 357 by simply backing it out. But a 357 won't work for a 38 because its too long.

magnum0710

Bearcat
A 38 works for 357 by simply backing it out. But a 357 won't work for a 38 because its too long.
I'm not sure about the older ones but I know the new ones only require you buy the dipper and load data.
Screenshot_20230823_195932_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230823_195949_Chrome.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
According to the paperwork with the kit I'm sending,, to load .357 all you need is load data & a different powder dipper. Just like what you posted above.

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I'm not sure about the older ones but I know the new ones only require you buy the dipper and load data.
View attachment 28415
View attachment 28416
A 45 Colt cannot load a 38 or 357. I assume you posted the wrong link.

A 38 spl die set can load a 357. Easy peasy.

A 357 die set cannot load a 38 spl. The 38 case is too short.

I said 38 is ok for 357, NOT visa versa. Do more R&D.

(PS - in the old days they sold dies for both calibers. Now they only sell combo dies. If you have an old 357 die you are screwed. If you buy new, they work for both. Why would you need load data? It's right o the web.)

Last edited:

magnum0710

Bearcat
A 45 Colt cannot load a 38 or 357. I assume you posted the wrong link.

A 38 spl die set can load a 357. Easy peasy.

A 357 die set cannot load a 38 spl. The 38 case is too short.

I said 38 is ok for 357, NOT visa versa. Do more R&D.

(PS - in the old days they sold dies for both calibers. Now they only sell combo dies. If you have an old 357 die you are screwed. If you buy new, they work for both. Why would you need load data? It's right o the web.)
Look at the links again and read underneath where it says product information, where it says 45 Colt was a link to another page on the Lee website I wasn't actually on the 45 Colt page.
The first link was for the 357 Magnum Lee Classic Loader, it specifically says that it can also be used to load 38 special with the purchase of Load Data and Dipper. I've actually done alot of research on this subject. I don't know if they changed the Lee Classic Loaders but now in 2023 you can use either loader for both calibers.
As for why you would need the load data, it's because the Lee Classic Loaders can only be used with certain types of powder because you're not actually measuring the charge, you're using a dipper and the chart tells you how many grains of powder the dipper gives you of a specific powder. I will be using a scale anyway and other load data so I'm not limited to the powders in the Lee data but I would still like to have it just in case. The load data from Lee is literally a dollar.
So again, this is directly from the Lee website, product information for the 357 Magnum Lee Classic.
Screenshot_20230824_210722_Chrome.jpg

I was looking on ebay for a while just figured I'd check the forums first. The used ones were going for close to new price. The whack a moles are actually perfect for me since I live in an apartment, I really don't even have space to set up a hand press.
Not sure if this helps or not. I have found that you really don't need that solid of a Made For Reloading Bench ONLY. I have all of my presses bolted to a piece of 3/4" plywood that I "C" clamp to this cheap table. You can see that it works just fine for loading of 32s, 9mm, 38/357, 45 acp, 45 Colt, 44 MAG, 44WCF, 30-30, 30-06 and 45-70s.
I wanted to make my presses portable so I could take them with me when I was assigned to out of town jobs. This allowed me to have something to do on my off time besides watch TV.
So if you have a place to eat you also have a place to reload. ;) ;)

1692971153868.png

1692971772558.png

I just keep the stuff not being used in a closet.
1692971927146.png

GypsmJim - He's not talking about a reloading press, he's getting the LeeLoader which you actually use q "hammer" to pound the case into the sizing "die" and then use the hammer and a puch to drive the resized brass out. The Lee Laoder for .38/.357 will do both cartridges.

Magnum0710 - just noticed you said you lived in an apartment. Where are you going to be doing your loading and what are you going to put the sizer die on when you pound the cases in and out? You will want some type of base that has some mass to it - a piece of 4x4 or 6x6 probably would work as you could drill a 1/2" deep hole to set the die in to make it more stable. Also, if doing it in the apartment the neighbors might not like the noise :D (you'll see what I am talking about the first time you use it ;):D)

Was rereading my post and it just struck me - you could probably use a bench top arbor press instead of a hammer to do the resizing and removing of the cases. Just make up a fixture to hold the Lee Loader die in the press.

magnum0710

Bearcat
GypsmJim - He's not talking about a reloading press, he's getting the LeeLoader which you actually use q "hammer" to pound the case into the sizing "die" and then use the hammer and a puch to drive the resized brass out. The Lee Laoder for .38/.357 will do both cartridges.

Magnum0710 - just noticed you said you lived in an apartment. Where are you going to be doing your loading and what are you going to put the sizer die on when you pound the cases in and out? You will want some type of base that has some mass to it - a piece of 4x4 or 6x6 probably would work as you could drill a 1/2" deep hole to set the die in to make it more stable. Also, if doing it in the apartment the neighbors might not like the noise :D (you'll see what I am talking about the first time you use it ;):D)

Was rereading my post and it just struck me - you could probably use a bench top arbor press instead of a hammer to do the resizing and removing of the cases. Just make up a fixture to hold the Lee Loader die in the press.
I was thinking either on my coffee table or my kitchen table lol. I don't give a you know what about my neighbors 🤣 the guy above me thinks he's cute skateboarding above us at 6 am every weekend so I'll probably do it in the living room to keep the noise underneath that guy 🤣 I'm dead serious I don't know what the guy is doing exactly but literally every weekend he gets up early and whatever he's doing it sounds like he's riding a skateboarding across the kitchen floor.
He had a drum set for a while too thank God that stopped. He must have realized he was never going to be Neal Pert 🤣
Honestly I might move up to the portable Lee hand press so I can use normal dies. Maybe not right this second but eventually.

Timbo23

Plinker and accumulator
I know that you're looking at the Lee Loader, but the Lee Hand Press would be a better bet.
Like you I started with a Lee Loader many years ago, but that got old real fast. And I did not like the hammering. The Lee Hand Press fits in a shoe box and you can use regular reloading dies so you could just add a die set for 9mm and 380 ACP later and be ready to go. You also don't need a hammer or a piece of wood to hammer on to.
I use the Hand Press while watching TV when doing non-critical functions like resizing. I can resize 50 rounds of 38s quite quickly. For safety's sake and good reloading practice, I give other critical functions like priming, powder charging, and bullet seating and crimping my undivided attention.
I checked the Lee web site and they have a factory second Hand Press for nearly the same price as a single new Lee Loader set. I can fit the Hand Press, a set of dies, cartridge block and a few powder dippers into a shoe box for storage or travel.