WTB WTB Blackhawks Matching UH-60 Tail Numbers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hoverbutton

Bearcat
I am mounting a search for several very specific Super Blackhawks which are listed below by serial number and their corresponding information based off Ruger's serial number lookup tool. Hopefully the power of the internet and the experience of a thousand forum gurus can help this search come to fruition:

85-24396 - .44 Rem Mag, Model 00804, mfd. 1984
85-24444 - .44 Rem Mag, Model 00804, mfd. 1984
85-24458 - .44 Rem Mag, Model 00804, mfd. 1985
88-26042 - .41 Rem Mag, Model 00863, mfd. 2004
89-26125 - .44 Rem Mag, Model 00810, mfd. 2023

I have recently discovered that the Blackhawk line of revolvers shares an interestingly coincidental serial number system with that of the UH-60 Blackhawk helicopter tail numbering scheme. In fact, I found out after noticing one at a local store that was a single digit off from one of the ones I am looking for. The list above is comprised of several units that match the tail numbers of Blackhawks that I flew during my time in the military. If even a single one of them could be sourced, it would be nearly priceless to me as a memento of the time I spent on those aircraft.

There are several more numbers that I could not readily match to a unit using Ruger's serial number lookup tool, but if anyone can identify if any exist, that would be a huge help in expanding the search:

78-22974
81-23600
82-23749
83-23947
96-26665

I'm sure I'll be scouring all of my local stores, GunBroker, and auctions for years to come, but I have faith in the forum community to be of the most help in this search. I look forward to seeing what happens!

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
Now that's an idea I hadn't thought of. VERY COOL!!!!!!!

I'm an old Huey Crewchief,, and never thought of chasing a tail number to match a bird I was assigned to. My tail number was 66-16054. So I'd have to look for a New Model Super Single-Six, made in 1978.

I don't have any of the guns you seek,, but keep this post alive. You never know!

And I almost re-upped for the Blackhawk's myself. I had my paperwork ready for WOC school. My re-enlistment NCO pizzed me off & so did my Company CO.

But it's great to have another rotorhead around here.

hoverbutton

Bearcat

I'm an old Huey Crewchief,, and never thought of chasing a tail number to match a bird I was assigned to. My tail number was 66-16054. So I'd have to look for a New Model Super Single-Six, made in 1978.

I don't have any of the guns you seek,, but keep this post alive. You never know!

And I almost re-upped for the Blackhawk's myself. I had my paperwork ready for WOC school. My re-enlistment NCO pizzed me off & so did my Company CO.

But it's great to have another rotorhead around here.
It's great to have someone else around who understands how meaningful those tail numbers are to us! I'll keep an eye out for yours as well while I'm on the hunt. Hopefully some other folks can get in on it and we can find some other matches.

contender

Ruger Guru
Yeah,,, it's funny how a specific aircraft can "stick" with you. Since my number is the same as a Super Single-Six,, it wouldn't be quite the same as a Blackhawk. But dern close!

rwp315

Single-Sixer

I'm an old Huey Crewchief,, and never thought of chasing a tail number to match a bird I was assigned to. My tail number was 66-16054.
As a civil flew AH-1J, UH-1H, OH-58 and Bell 214's in Iran for Bell 77-79.

S76 Sikorsky for 18 years

Hughes 500C

UH-1H, UH-1N and OH-58, 2014-2018.

Miss it!

contender

Ruger Guru
That's great rwp315!

I had several pilots who let me get bootleg stick time. I have over 25 hrs on a Huey, about 6 in a Kiowa. But my pilots knew I was also in flight school for fixed wing at Central Texas College. They also knew I was seriously considering going to WOC school. I'm a few hrs short of an Associates Degree in Aviation. I also have over 90 credit hours of correspondence courses in aviation. Love to fly the rotor stuff. And as a crewchief,, I have over 750 hrs too.

rwp315

Single-Sixer
As a student I'd apply for a free subscription to Rotorcraft Pro.

Keep at it, there are hundreds of helicopter flying jobs out there at all levels.

Two acquaintances, one now flying a Long Ranger Grand Canyon tours and another building time in his R22.

And another just got hired flying tours.

contender

Ruger Guru
Oh,, I was in college & Flt School in the 1970's. Long ago. And in college,, it was for fixed wing. They didn't offer rotor wing training.
I was going to re-up to go to WOC school,, but my re-enlistment NCO & my CO pizzed me off. Long story,, but they are why I didn't pursue a career in flying or the military.

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
The 78- prefixed gun should be a model 77 rifle from 1984
The 81-, 82-, and 83- prefixed guns should exist as New Model Super Blackhawks from the 1970s.

The reason they don't show up on the online lookup is that they were made prior to the records being computerized. Ruger has been slowly filling in older data on there, but it doesn't seem to be a high priority, so I wouldn't hold my breath as to when it will happen.

You are out of luck on 96- as that prefix appears to have gone unused. I thought they might have used it for model 96 lever action rifles in the same way they used 45- for OM .45 Blackhawks, but they used 620- and 640- on the 96's.