WTB .41 Mag cylinder NM UPDATED 5/28

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
Another favor for a range buddy.... Long story... his gun blew a chamber; Ruger won't fix it (don't ask). Measurements now available: 1.976" from ratchet to gas seal. Still looking while Scott is searching around for his for me. So, if anyone has one, pls. let me know; include price and we;ll work from there. MANY THANKS, John(nu2). Also posted in the RugerSmithing section....
THANKS,
John(nu2)

Johnnu2

Hunter
jebstuart, thank you.... I'm waiting for Mr. Deerstalker to see if he can find the one he PM'd me about a few days ago; if he fails to find it in a reasonable period of time (which can be awhile for him :), I'll get back to you. Hope you don't mind if I give Scott the first shot since he responded earlier (?)
THANKS,
John

jebstuart

Single-Sixer
Hey John,
I think that's a very long 41 NM cylinder. I have 4 (2 Bisley & 2 fluted) and the one I sent you a pic of is 13 thousandths shorter than your measurement, as you know. The longest one I have (fluted) is still 11 thou. shorter. I double checked my measurements and I think I'm right. You might consider a Ruger cylinder shim (triggershims.com or Brownells). You mentioned that the revolver "blew" a chamber. Do you think it possible that the blow may have opened the cylinder window slightly? Just thinking outloud.
Jeb

Johnnu2

Hunter
Jeb......... I am embarrassed to say that I didn't think that, perhaps, the cylinder with the blown chamber may be giving us a false measurement i.e. it elongated itself... Now, I guess we have to back to ground zero and determine what the correct measurement is... I think that until we figure out that correct measurement, we're dead in the water..... Will be back if/when I talk with my friend and decide what to do next.... THANKS for your thoughts...
J

jebstuart

Single-Sixer
I think you'll find that 1.962 - 1.964 is gonna be the right fit. All 4 of mine interchange perfectly in both my 41 MNBH's. I thought you were measuring the frame all along. I don't think you can get a good measurement from a badly damaged cylinder.
Jeb
PS, if you want to try the 1.963 and it dosen't fit, just send it back. Were I you, my only concern from this point is that the blow didn't open up the cylinder window in the frame. You might try the inside portion of a good caliper to measure from the barrel forcing cone to the recoil shield with the gate open - don't know, never tried it. Good luck.
PPS, worst case, if the frame stretched a few thousandths but all is still fairly tight & square, you can use those cylinder shims. I think they come
.002 - .006 in .001 increments and are almost invisible. Any combination of two shims would get you where you have to be. Then it's just to check cylinder gap. Wheew - I'm done now!

Johnnu2

Hunter
Jeb.... I think the reason Ruger wouldn't repair the gun is precisely what you are suggesting i.e. they wouldn't want to be responsible for a weakened (or enlarged) frame.... I'll talk with my buddy and see what he thinks he might want to do. Thanks again for your thoughts and kind offer.... "I'll be back."
J