Would Ruger want my gun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
I bought one of the 5.5" stainless .45 Bisley convertibles. Had usual Ruger issues of thread choke and tight cylinder. Had cylinder reamed and sent gun back for thread choke issues. Came back some better but still never shot right. Eventually was sending another gun in and included the .45

Ruger called and said that they could not repair or return the gun and sold me a different model for a discount. Later I was telling an employee of the dealer who sold me the gun my story. She said that Ruger will try to keep rare or limited run guns that are sent in. The Bisley. 45 convertible was a limited run. Soooo do any of you know anything about Ruger wanting to keep less common guns that are sent in for repair?

hittman

Staff member
Thumbcocker said:
She said that Ruger will try to keep rare or limited run guns that are sent in.

Bull.

Ruger owns all the guns it needs. Things you hear at a lot of local gun stores are worth about what you pay for them.

If your gun is a limited run now ..... just wait 'cause that'll likely change soon. They'll run it again .... then re-run it, then make a minor change and spit out some more.

jbntx

Single-Sixer
If Ruger thinks a gun is unsafe or might be a future liability, then there's no way they'll give it back to a customer.

And they might need to keep it if for some reason while trying to fix it for you, they broke it.
Gunsmiths do make mistakes.

9x19

Hunter
Ruger could simply build one for themselves... yours simply couldn't be repaired.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I don't think Ruger can fix thread choke, besides replacing the barrel, so they offered you another gun. That would be my guess.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Who knows, maybe they tried to fix it and messed it up or found a crack in the receiver, they won't go into detail on the problem. At least they offered you a replacement at a deal.

rockyriver

Bearcat
So you have a gun that is broken, or doesnt shoot right. You send it to Ruger and they refuse to return your gun to you. They offer to sell you a gun at a discount? Did they deduct the fair market value of the gun the refused to return to you? Sounds a little like robbery to me.

Rodfac

Blackhawk
Yep, I agree rocky...if Ruger wants to keep the gun for what ever reason, they should replace it with the same model or one of your choice if that model is no longer made. It was their decision to destroy or keep the original, they should replace it on their nickle..plus shipping.

Short of fixing it, they should return it with a letter absolving the company of any liability claims, and recommending that you no longer shoot it...

Rod

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Gotta love how shops "know" all these details - geniuses. :roll: Have known of plant non-cataloged models that have gone back and returned. Any dealer making such claims becomes a dealer I avid from there on out. If they make such false claims about that, it just makes one wonder what other untruths they utter.

LarryBG

Bearcat
If you send any of the Six series revolvers in, they will want to keep it and offer you a discount on a new gun. If you decline, they have to return your gun to you.

Thumbcocker

Blackhawk
I would have really liked to have the Bisley parts off the gun they kept or a replacement Bisley convertible. Since no full sized convertibles were currently cataloged they would not do that. I settled for a stainless 4 5/8 Super Blackhawk but it is not a Bisley. I realize that it is water under the bridge but the whole experience was a bit odd.

roylt

Hunter
You could always turn you new gun into a bisley. Parts are available online and from Ruger. A little file work and a few parts. Maybe take a weekend and you could be shooting.

I'm no smith but swapped two grip frames so far. My first I took a blackhawk and put the larger Super blackhawk frame on it. Also customized a couple parts to my liking in the process. The second was a single ten I put a bird frame on. I have not file fit it yet because I want to shoot it to see if I like the feel.

I say go for it, make it your gun again. Make it a bisley. Parts are under 200....

Good luck,

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Bucks Owin said:
Thread choke is easily fixed by firelapping EGO... :shock:

Gee, even I've done it... :wink:
Do you really think the factory is going to fire-lap a gun? Really!! Goat Roper. :? :?

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
xtratoy said:
Goat Roper?? Please explain.
I'm so tired of this guy following me around on the forum, posting after me, and saying a bunch of c#$% about me. If I'm going to be called names by this Yahoo all the time (EGO etc.) then I am going to start throwing a few names out myself. Bucks epitomizes the term Goat Roper, look it up.

Rclark

Hunter
I think Buck was saying (and I happen to agree) that thread choke (a common thing) is easily fixed by firelapping when done properly. I too, have fixed several guns that way. No need to send it back to Ruger for this operation as the owner could do that him/her self. Same with reaming the throats. Sometimes you just have to 'work' at it to get a gun to shoot right. Even finding loads that shoots well with the gun is sometimes a trial. I remember reading a John Taffin article where he only found one load that would shoot well out of a particular revolver. Anyway, where it needs to go back to Ruger is when the front sight for example is not straight, or you have some other obvious defect with the revolver IMHO....

james r jr

Single-Sixer
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/13383840/

Is this the gun? One of my favorite gun dealers has this on line for sale. Looks like an error in the top description.