Worksharp Knife Sharpener Review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I have watched this thread with interest. I do not have much luck with sharpening contraptions, so I nearly always stick to my stone.

I am gonna take a chance, and order the WorkSharp basic unit.

I also tried the motor driven WorkSharp sharpener, with disappointing results. I know others swear by them. If they work so well for one person, and don't work at all for the next person, there is something amuck. Amazon took it back with a smile. :)

RSIno1

Hunter
My old Buck kit I bought in the mid 70s still works just fine. Grabbed this shot off the web - looks like it's missing the smaller hard Arkansas stone. My kit looks pretty bad after nearly 50 years of use.

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 55

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
A guy at work bought one of these. I tried it and am pretty impressed. Been using water stones for many years, but plan to get one of these for my work knives because it's quick and easy.

Thread resurrection alert...

I did buy the WorkSharp unit. I have found it's a pain, and takes a long time. With a lot of time and patience, I can create whatever angle I desire, but I just cannot get that final, over-the-top edge. I have to finish the task with a stone.

It is interesting to me, some folks rave about such products, and some reviews are less glowing. It would be fun to sit down side-by-side with folks that are making them work.:unsure:

the final PS...
I gave this thing away.

Last edited:

Big Old Boy

Hunter
a Resurrection at my age is only a dream what are we talking about oh ya , I have the work sharp and love it but I do sharpen knives for a friends restaurant and I use the Ken Onion electric belt sharpener fast and easy.

Wayno, I think one reason why you can't get the final "over the top" edge is the WorkSharp doesn't have any ultra fine stone. They only have an 800 grit stone. That just isn't fine enough to give a razor sharp edge.

TestEngineer

Bearcat
I am so happy that, as a child, I learned to use a whet stone!
THIS^

Needing a "sharpening system" to get a decent knife edge is like needing a ransom rest to shoot a decent group. Basic mechanical skills have gone to crap since CAM has taken effect. Don't know what this generation is going to do when the electric grid collapses (and it will).

hittman

Staff member
Thread resurrection alert...

It is interesting to me, some folks rave about such products …..
It could be that some folks really don't understand of know what really sharp is.

In my youth, I was lucky to have a couple of old guys ( in the family or friends of the family ) who were butchers by trade. Those old guys knew how to make a knife literally razor sharp using a mandrel ( I think they were called ) and another who showed me how to use a stone …. With lots of spit! LOL

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
To really get the fine edge you need the deluxe kit that includes grits to 3000 and a leather strop . The strop is really just a piece of leather on a face rather than a stone. I use white rouge on mine

I already have a couple of belt sanders. I just have change belts. Works fine. HOWEVER, I will never give up my whetstones, especially when camping.

I was an edged guy way before a gun guy. Hell, I still have my Cub Scout knife and my original Boy Scout knife ( Which in my area was a Utica Sportsman- your mileage may vary), and original Boy Scout hatchet. They built even less expensive blades better then.

Tenbore

Single-Sixer
I am the world's worst knife sharpener. I have tried just about every tool and gimmick out there and still have better luck with a file and belt sander.:mad:

Bigbore5

Single-Sixer
The worksharp is fine and quick for my day to day work knife and the ol lady's kitchen knives. It gets used alot for quick touch ups.

My hunting and martial arts blades are progressively sharpened on Japanese Waterstones to 5000 grit, then stropped with 7500. They cut at a touch, but it's very time consuming. But my Randall will cut a pigs ribs like butter.

Latest posts