Winter Reads: History, Outdoors, Military, Hunting/Fishing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FS: used books on nonfiction outdoor adventures, historical, hunting, fishing, and nature topics.

Here's how it works: ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS ZIP CODES. I accept cash, personal checks made out to me, all MOs but NOT PayPal nor credit cards. I try to ship the next mail day after I receive payment.

TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF ANY BOOK OR BOOKS YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE (I save a little on mailing multiple book orders).

To order/reserve a book or books, put an "I'll take book(s) #____" ON THIS THREAD. (Telling me you want a book by PM doesn't do anything except cause me to tell you to do what I just said!).

Questions or comments only by PM; I try to answer them all ASAP.

Adventure/Exploration titles

1) SPF "The African Adventurers: A Return to the Silent Places" by Peter Hathaway Capstick.

2) SPF "Baja California Adventures" by Froylan Tiscareno.

3) SPF "John Muir: Travels in Alaska" by John Muir, introduction by Edwin Way Teale.

US/Western History

4) SPF "Band of Giants: The Amateur Soldiers Who Won American Independence" by Jack Kelly.

5) "Colonel Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris. The great end of a great life. Final volume of Morris' 3-volume biography of TR. Includes TR's African and Amazon expeditions, his "Bull Moose" presidential campaign, his reactions to WWI, and his decline after the death of his son on the Western Front. Morris is also Ronald Reagan's official biographer. HB 774 pp. new cond. illus. w/b/w photos, bibliography. $8

6) SPF "The Long Death: the Last Days of the Plains Indians" by Ralph K. Andrist.

7) SPF "Uniforms of the Civil War in Color" by Phillip Haythornewaite.

8) SPF "The American Heritage Pictorial Atlas of US History" by eds. of American Heritage Magazine.

9) "The Soldier From Independence: A Military Biography of Harry Truman" by D.M. Giangreco. Pres. Truman often remarked that his military career was the greatest influence on his political career. Truman's six peacetime years in the Missouri NG and two years in the US Army (including three fierce months on the Western Front in WWI), and their influence on his later career, including his presidential decision to use "The Gadget." HB 302 pp. exc. cond illus w/b/w photos. $6

Military Affairs/Aviation

10) SPF "Marine Sniper" by Charles Henderson.

11) SPF "Masters of Chaos: The Secret History of the Special Forces" by Linda Robinson.

12) SPF "A Question of Loyalty: General Billy Mitchell and the Court Martial that Gripped the Nation" by Douglas Waller.

13) SPF"Into the Teeth of the Tiger" by Donald S. Lopez.

14) SPF "Devil at My Heels" by Louis Zamperini.

15) SPF "Vulcan 607" by Jeremy Clarkson.

Hunting, Fishing, and Shooting titles

16) SPF "Hobby Gunsmithing" by Ralph T. Walker.

17) SPF "Hunting Diver and Puddle Ducks" by The Complete Hunter Series.

18) SPF "Alaska Bear Tales" by Larry Kaniut.

19) SPF "Beyond Basic Fly Tying: Techniques and Patterns to Expand Your Skills" by Marvin Nolte.

20) "Salmon Coast-to-Cost" by Bill Hilts, Milt Keizen, and George Grivenfeld. A volume of the "American Fishing Club Library" series on all the freshwater fishing for salmon in the US and Canada. Sea-run, Great Lakes, and landlocked species; all legal methods of sport fishing. HB 250 pp. new cond. illus w/many b/w photos, diagrams, and maps. $5

21) SPF "Handguns" by Frederick Wilkinson.

Wildlife/Nature titles

22) "The Insight Guide to East African Wildlife" A complete guide to the mammals, birds, reptiles, and fish of Kenya, Tanzania, and their bordering nations, plus a brief introduction to the native peoples. Maps show national parks and game preserves, info on wildlife-centered tourism. Beautiful pictures, good wildlife data (but check on the political situation before you buy tickets!). The usual "Insight Guide" great coverage! Softbound 9x7" 357 pp. illus w/many color photos, maps. $5

23) "The Grizzlies of Mount McKinley" by Adolph Murie. Results of 25 years of research on Mount McKinley, a classic biological study by a bear expert and author of the standard Peterson's game tracking reference book. How grizzlies actually survive, their "families," relations with men (and ravens), bear "individuality." Quality PB (U. Washington Press) 267 pp. new cond. illus w/many b/w photos , bear family trees, range maps, etc. $6

24) SPF "Western Birds" by Roger Tory Peterson.

Thanks for reading my (usual) long post! DON'T FORGET to take $1 off the price of any book(s) you order after the first one! And have a really great Thanksgiving--we still got a lot to be thankful for!

Mike Armstrong

book #19 SPF to Uncle Howie

Thanks for buying again! (A personal check made out to my evil twin,George Armstrong, would do fine, and save you a trip and a buck and a quarter!)

Amnt. is $10. I'll find a box for ya.

Mike Armstrong