Winter Reading: WTS used history and other books

Help Support Ruger Forum:

FS: used books on military history and other various topics. These books are all in excellent reading condition except as noted.

ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING TO CONUS ZIP CODES. I try to ship the next mail day after i get your payment. I take cash, personal checks, and all MOs, but DON'T take PayPal, credit cards, or electronic payments like applepay.

To order a book or books, put an "I'll take book # ______" as a "reply" to this ad--PMs or email orders don't count unless you also do an "I'll take it" HERE. Then I'll acknowledge your order with a "reply" here, mark your books "SPF" (sold) on the ad, and PM you my mailing address and "legal" (first) name so you can send me payment.

Please use the PM feature to ask questions or comment, but not for ordering.

TAKE $1 OFF THE PRICE OF ANY BOOK OR BOOKS YOU ORDER AFTER THE FIRST ONE! (i get a break on postage of multi-book orders, so I kick a little back to you).

US History titles

1) SPF "1776" by David McCullough.

2) SPF "Battle Cry of Freedom: the Civil War Era" by James M. McPherson.

3) SPF "Colonel Roosevelt" by Edmund Morris.

4) "The Old Army: Memories 1872-1918" by James Parker. BG James "Galloping Jim" Parker was an important officer in the Indian Wars, serving in Ranald Mackenzie's raids against the Kickapoo in 1878, the Ute Campaign of 1879, and the long pursuit of Geronimo. He also served in the Spanish- American War, the Philippine Insurrection, and WWI. His memories paint vivid pictures of the Old (Regular) Army at work. Quality PB (Stackpole Press) 475 pp. new cond illus w/b/w photos. $7

5) SPF "Up Front" by Bill Mauldin.

6) "Bay of Pigs: The Untold Story" by Peter Wyden. All the details of a "war" we don't much like to remember. How "plausible deniability" and lousy intel based on wishful thinking lost a nation and a lot of good people. HB 252 pp. exc.cond illus w/maps and many b/w photos. $6

7) SPF "Hunter Killer Squadron: Aero Weapons, Aero Scouts, Aero Rifles in Vietnam" Matthew Brennan, editor.

8) "Destroyers" by Anthony Preston. The volume of Preston's well-known series on WWII warships that covers the development and combats of perhaps the best known class of warship in our time, the "tin can" or "can." Describes the destroyer's development from pre-WWI thru all the campaigns of WWII, including the fleet battles in the Mediterranean, the "Battle of the Atlantic" between Allied "cans" and U-boats, and the fleet battles that led to Japan's defeat. Explains the destroyer's function as an anti-submarine screen and hunter-killer, the specialized types converted from WWI "four stackers" for various functions in WWII, the Japanese uses of destroyers (their torpedoes WORKED), and the destroyer vs. the kamikaze. HB 63 pp. new cond. 8 1/2x11" format, illus. w/many historic b/w photos, index. $5

Military History and Art

9) SPF "Combat Aircraft of WWII: Two Volumes in One" by Glenn B. Bavousett.

10) SPF "B-24 Combat Missions: First-hand Accounts of Liberator Operations Over Nazi Europe" by Martin Bowman.

Misc. topics

11) SPF "The Art of the Catapult: How to Build Ballistae, Trebuchets, and More Ancient Artillery" by William Gurstelle.

12) "Workhorse Props: Prop Aircraft Around the World" by Gerry Manning. Still like to see a prop plane? This book shows them still at work, some old, some not-so-old, some ex-military, some purpose-built. Fire bombers, charter passenger and cargo planes in familiar and very out-of-the-way places. Bush planes, air ambulances, ag planes of all nations. Softbound 112 pp. 9x11" fomat exc. cond w/many full-page, full-color photos. $5

13)SPF "Mate in Sail" by Capt. James Gaby.

14) "Catalog of the Coeur d'Alene Art Auction, Reno NV, July 26, 2016" If you love the West and its art, his catalog of a famous Western art auction is a treat! Most of us can't afford these paintings and bronzes, and this is the next best thing! Full of Western artists from famous names like Charlie Russell and Frederick Remington, and lesser-known talents of masters from our time and earlier, their works reproduced in full color: miniatures, half pages, and full pages. They include brief bios of the artists. Softbound 167 pp. 8 1/2x11" format, new cond. $12 (heavy to ship!).

Gun Related topics

15) "Guns Illustrated Annual, 1990" 22nd ed. of this annual book by the publishers of "Gun Digest." Catalog of 1990 guns available in the US, plus new optics and accessories available then. Handy reference if you have guns of that era. Also has 18 articles on guns, hunting, and reloading: the sad demise (?) if the 16 guage, the rise and fall of bolt action shotguns, product liability law and gun "blowups," the story of the Sharps and the winning of the West, many reprints of 1930s gun ads (DON'T look at the prices!), and many others. Softbound 320 pp. exc. reading cond illus w/many b/w photos, tables and charts. $6

16) SPF The five most recent "Handloader" magazines

Thanks for reading my long post! DON'T FORGET to take $1 off the price of any book or books you order after the first one!

Mike Armstrong