Will DPMS 308 mags fit in the Ruger 7.62?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wwb

Hunter
The Ruger is a 7.62x39.... NOT a .308 (or 7.62 NATO). Totally different animal; the .308 is quite a bit longer than the 7.62x39. Don't know for certain, but I'd bet big money that a .308 magazine won't fit.

427mach1

Blackhawk
wwb said:
The Ruger is a 7.62x39.... NOT a .308 (or 7.62 NATO). Totally different animal; the .308 is quite a bit longer than the 7.62x39. Don't know for certain, but I'd bet big money that a .308 magazine won't fit.

Huh? According to the Ruger website, it IS 308 Win/7.62 NATO:

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr762/models.html

You must be thinking of the Mini-30.

http://www.ruger.com/products/miniThirty/models.html

jcs271

Bearcat
Well after the fart cloud drifted away :) It is good to know that at least I won't have to buy a bunch more mags. Thanks

Mike61

Bearcat
I had read on the net about so called issues with the supplied magpul pmag magazines provided with the 762. I was surprised after reading a few whiners comments, that my new 762 still came with the magpul magazines- 3 20rounders.they all work beautifully. I just bought a few of the 25 rounders that magpul just came out with and guess what, they all work great also. The dpms mags are metal and work well too, however they do not compare in quality and features of the magpul mags.i guess I need to remember that anyone can say anything on the net. I am glad I found out for myself.somehow the whole issue did not seem right-ruger and magpul have always provided me with excellant products.ruger has a history of excellant product engineering and product support/warranty.

sliclee

Single-Sixer
Mike , I just read your post about mags and you own a Ruger 762. How about telling me of your experiences with the rifle, how it works, fit of the parts, quality, will it stand up to hard use or should I look else wear, thanks Lee

mt

Single-Sixer
Regarding the DPMS mags. On my rifle, the locking lugs on the bolt contact the leading edge of the magazine follower, gouge into the plastic follower and will not let the bolt move to the rear. This only occurs when the magazine is empty. It appears the angle of the forward edge of the plastic follower on the DPMS mags is much sharper than the pmags.

On another topic, my SR 762 purchased in Dec. 13, absolutely would not run. A failure to fire happened when the hammer fell and there would be no mark on the primer. I had many failures to feed because of the bolt not moving to the rear far enough to pick up the next round. Experimenting with the gas regulator brought no joy. After several frustrating hours on two different days at the Range with only 55 rds fired downrange, I gave up and returned it to Ruger. My LGS who handled the return said that Ruger was able to duplicate the malfunctions and were sending me a new rifle. I was not surprised since my experience with Ruger's customer service has always been outstanding. I picked up my new rifle a couple of days ago.

While my rifle was "away," I picked up two DPMS mags. When I received my new rifle I tried the mags for fit and discovered the situation with the angle of the plastic follower interfering with the locking lugs on the bolt. I have not had a chance to go to the range with this new rifle yet but am looking forward to it.

mt

dakota1911

Buckeye
Just got my SR762 about a month ago. So far O.K. Still on the 3 20 round MAGPULs that came with the rifle. I thought I would just buy a couple more of those which should keep me happy.