Why we are told not to wear long sleeves when using a lathe!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Found this video and I knew before even watching it what was going to happen. Ouch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9grSq-TWMQ

As a machinist this hurts to watch. Always wear short sleeve shirts.

Greebe

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
Every planting and harvest season we get at least one guy brought into the ER that has had an argument with a PTO shaft (Tractor power take-off) and lost.

Thank you Greebe, you have just provided me with this years safety video for the farm employees. Power equipment can amplify productivity but will kill you just as easily.

SAJohn

Hunter
And no rings and no free long hair!

Using the long polishing strips was OK but I would never recommend gripping turning bar stock with my hand, short or long sleeves.

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
All of those grown men there were wearing pants and not a one of them had a razor sharp knife in his pocket and knew what to do with it. Working around equipment and horses and wild mules I keep 2 knives that will shave at all times so that I can reach and open a knife with either hand. I was asked by a Postal Inspector at work once didn't I know I wasn't supposed to have a knife and I let him see how worn the blade was and told him I guess the blade was worn from cutting employees. I don't carry 2 knives for personal defense from humans but was glad I had them many times.

woodsy

Blackhawk
Everything that worker was doing was wrong, and would have earned him a written warning (at least) in every place I have ever worked. No safety glasses, no workpiece shield, improper procedure for polishing, placing his body in the workpiece position, etc., etc.
The video is amusing, rather than scary. It should be used as a training tool.

Selena

Hunter
A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicag
woodsy said:
Everything that worker was doing was wrong, and would have earned him a written warning (at least) in every place I have ever worked. No safety glasses, no workpiece shield, improper procedure for polishing, placing his body in the workpiece position, etc., etc.
The video is amusing, rather than scary. It should be used as a training tool.

I've treated injuries from too many power take off accidents to find anything amusing in the video. Obviously I agree to the training tool use.

coach

Hunter
While not in the same category, it reminds me of the time I learned not to wear a collared shirt while shooting .45 acp at an indoor range with lane dividers. It involved a lot of jumping around and a struggle to keep the muzzle pointed down range which I was able to do until I put the gun on the shelf.
Nothing like personal experience to have it sink in. At least no appendages or my life was at risk.

5of7

Hunter
I once saw a set of pictures where a guy got his bib overalls caught in the work on a bigger lathe.....it killed him and the pictures were not pretty. 8)

Enigma

Hunter
And OSHA would probably shut that shop down, judging from all the safety violations I can see. That place is just an accident waiting to happen.