Why buy a .327?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dubldee

Bearcat
I think a lot of the .327's good points are related to the fact that it is in an SP101. If you haven't shot one of those much (in any caliber) then you're missing a treat. I have one in .38, because I wouldn't shoot .357s in it anyway, and one in .32 Mag. The .32 is incredibly accurate in about any loading I've made for it. It's really fun with .32 S&W longs. It holds 6 rounds. It has about no recoil. It's a really nice sized gun to carry, unless you have large hands.

Would I go out and buy a .327? If I didn't already own these two, heck yeah. Then you have the power of a hot .38 and the fun of a reloadable .32. I bought both for about the price of one new one, so I'm in no hurry to buy a new .327, but I'll sure buy one when they are used and cheap. And since I really got the .32 for my wife, and bogarted it, I guess I could justify getting her a .327 Mag one!

Just my 2 cents, yrmv. Blessings, DD

gak

Buckeye
peyton":2fsdy8tp said:
Dixie884, you are showing your age there!! My Marlin model 60 was bought at Wards, it is my first rifle and still got it, I will have to ask my mom what it cost in 1965.

. I return from Iraq in March and I hope the ruger is available for me to examine. I had a chance to buy a blackhawk Buckeye in 32-20/32 mag but it was so heavy I thought. Now the 327 with a 32-20 convertible would be great!!
S&W has been slow getting there products in 327 to the market, that is why I plan on converting on of my 16-4 to 327 (dixie84 beat me to the 32 mag cylinder) when I can find a K-frame 32 cylinder.
Ruger has beaten S&W to market, again.
-------
Peyton, you probably already know this but Smith finally came out with a non-ported, steel (yea!) J frame--2 to 2.5" ?--to augment its earlier Performance Center model. I will grant you this new model is also not exactly cheap. Do a .327 seach on the Smith site and it should show up. If you did know this and meant literally "to market" as on the shelves, you may be right!

Stoots

Buckeye
This is my first post on my opinion of the .327. I have yet to voice this.

My concern with .327 is the cartridge itself. More specifically, it's availability/affordability to those who do not handload. The platforms themselves are great- the GP, Blackhawk and SP are excellent guns.

But if the round is scarce or hard to find, it'll quickly lose interest with the casual, non-reloading shooters who might otherwise buy one.

JMHO.

:wink:

Dubldee

Bearcat
Stoots, that's a good point. I forget everybody doesn't handload. I think in the current economic and political environment, handloading is helping a lot of people keep shooting. I'd have to think that very few people can afford to shoot off the shelf .357s either. I'd be shooting nothing but .22s if I couldn't load my own bigger stuff.

gak

Buckeye
Stoots and Dubidee, you both make excellent points. The cartridge is at a critical juncture where these great guns are coming out--with hopefully at least a few more yet to come. It's time for Federal, Starline and Ruger (and FA and SW) to really step up to the plate, the gun manufacturer's role being to keep the pressure on the ammo and component makers to really open things up "big time." CCI can finally join in too with a .32H&R-based shotshell--after 26 years of sitting on the sidelines. They've claimed not enough market. Hard to argue the numbers with them, but that kind of chicken-or-egg thinking--by lots of folks--hasn't helped ("I won't buy--or make--because (others have told me) it's not popular"). Hopefully the emergence of the .327 will change that perspective.

Dubldee

Bearcat
I agree, someone has to keep bringing out innovative guns, loads, accessories, etc, if we're to keep buying bigger safes! I think there are so many sensible guns to build, they all deserve a look. It looks like all the .327's good points have been brought out here, and some folks still don't see the need. That's cool. I think it makes sense to have a stainless revolver in this caliber, (actually these 4 calibers), and I'd consider it the perfect concealed carry gun for me. But you guys are right, you've got to be able to buy affordable ammo, and right now you can't. DD

Dubldee

Bearcat
Gak, to your point of getting everybody involved, I find it odd that Federal wanted their name on this round, but couldn't manage to put a bunch of ammo on the shelves at $13 or so a box of 50? Hornady is getting into reloading again at a frantic pace, but how much will they promote a round with Federal's name on it? You know, Colt had to rename the .32 S&W to chamber a gun for it. This sounds like Congress! Maybe this is a matter of politics and poor timing for the .327 Federal Magnum.
Thanks, guys, for the intelligent conversation. DD

gak

Buckeye
Dubldee, you've got it right on target. Even more, Federal needs to get this out perhaps even "close to cost" for awhile to (two + years on) get it kick started. We all know companies aren't in this game for altruism, but it seems they've got to do something "big" and noticeable short-term to better insure the long-term picture for this cartridge.

Dubldee

Bearcat
I agree. I have to think if Glock or Sig chambered one of their autos for it , it would get some ink! Wouldn't it be a great chambering for a lever gun, or a single shot? I've never had a Contender, but that would be good, too. I think a Ruger #1 with one of those old long tube 1x sights would be so cool.
There are some good ideas on this forum. Obviously, stuff that was popular, then unpopular, then reintroduced, shows that people change their views after a while. I just bought an older M77 in 7.62x39, because I think it makes a lot of sense right now. And as one of the posts said, Ruger really should redo the SP101 in .22LR. I guess we'll see about the .327. Blessings, DD

Single-Sixer
As someone who jumped on the bandwagon very early and actually had a custom gun built for the .327 before the factory could provide one, I will say that if you don't get one you are missing out on a lot of fun. No recoil, a big blast, 5 different round compatibility, and an extra round or more over .38/.357, plus it's cheap to reload for. What's not to love? I think you guys jumping on the hate bandwagon are pretty funny, rather like the earth is flat types of centuries past.

While I sold that first .327, I'm actively saving pennies for the new GP-100 (unless I see a Blackhawk first) and look forward to a long and happy relationship with the .32's of all flavors.

32magfan

Blackhawk
My name answers the question for me quite well.

I have been a 32 fan since 1985 when my dad bought me the Single-Six 6-1/2" (My first handgun). It also got me started reloading.

I have the above - mentioned SS in 32 Mag, an SP101 3" 32Mag, a Buckeye Convertible 32Mag/32-20, Model 16 - 4" 32Mag, Model 632 - 3" 32Mag, Taurus Model 76 - 6" 32Mag, and a S&W Model 30 32 S&W Long.

I bought the 327 Federal Blackhawk the first day I saw it and knew it existed. I bought the GP100 327 three weeks later. I have found ammo in several different places. Brass will be obtained and reloading will begin soon.

My dad even bought a GP100 last week. (His first 32, although he keeps some of mine to play with).

Several friends have shot both new guns at the range and were surprised at the lack of recoil and the pop of the cartridge. It is not any more noisy than other magnums but the guys standing to either side of me when I was shooting decided to take a step back as the side blast is similar to other high pressure magnum loadings.

Reloading: Studying the reloading data from Hodgdon, it should be no problem to match the factory ammo with 296/H110 or L'il Gun. I will try the Longshot loads as they are pretty high on velocity with less powder. Clays will be used for the cast bullet loads.

Variety: I also shoot the 38SPL, 357Mag, 40 S&W, 9MM, 41Mag, 44SPL, 44Mag, 45ACP, 45Colt and 22LR guns. I reload for every centerfire for economy and the interesting hobby that reloading is all by itself.

If you think the 327 in a Blackhawk or GP is useless, so be it. If you are speaking from experience instead of intuition or supposition, then I will agree to disagree. If not, open your mind to the possibilities, shoot one if you get the chance (about a dozen folks have tried mine and shot as much of the factory ammo as I have so far). But beware, 32's are infectious and contagious.

Thanks,

32Magfan

A

Anonymous

I have had my sp in 327 for about 6 weeks, and can't say enough good about it!!

gak

Buckeye
SP is one that's definitely on my wish/short list, and one that's actually available (non custom) vs the SS .327 also on that list. Can't think of a better DA platform for the .327, and cartridge for the gun. Like they were made for each other.

jazzman

Single-Sixer
32magfan you are exactly right. I started with a single six ssm, aquired another one, then found a marlin lever gun in 32 H&R, recently purchased the sp 101 in 327 and am ready for the gp100. You tell the truth, they are addicting,

Jim

peyton

Single-Sixer
I just returned from Iraq on Wednesday. I went by my FFL's yesterday I picked up my Marlin 1894 32 mag as well as the single six in 32. Hopefully the wife will let me go to the gun show this weekend. I am looking for either the blackhawk or the GP 100 to step up to the .327!!

peyton

Single-Sixer
Thanks all, this forum and your friendliness, and knowledge helped me pass many an hour while in Iraq.