Why buy a .327?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
If you own 32s, the 327 makes sence. Hopefully it works this time.

From the standpoint of a reloader who owns 357s, there seems little point in the 327. I dont care how fast that little bullet screams out the barrel, you will have a hard time beating a 125 grain 357.

If I understand things correctly, the niche of this round seems to be the gap between the +P38 Special and the full power 357 Magnum. I have never understood why most ammo companies push the heaviest loading they can possibly come up with, when what is needed is an in between load. Corbon makes a 158 grain +P38 that does about 1050 fps, which is very very close to how I download the 357 for range ammo. So the gap can be filled, making for a powerful, but pleasant to shoot light magnum load.

piratedude

Single-Sixer
CraigC":3h4c81ba said:
surveyor47":3h4c81ba said:
I think that Rugers approach is all wrong, putting a lot of money into a non-starter.
It still amazes me how many people on THE RUGER FORUM think they know better how to run their business than they do. Far as I can tell, folks have been screaming for a sporting revolver chambered in .327 ever since it came out. Ruger has given us two.

The reason I am so vocal on this is because lots of impressionable shooters, who may not be knowledgeable enough to think for themselves, may read all this nonsense about it not having a chance and actually believe it. Enough of them do so and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

I really wish I could understand why folks are so quick to damn a new offering without ever giving it a second's thought. Almost as if it were a sport.

Why not put it on the Ruger forum? This is a place to discuss Ruger products. As far as I know, it is not a place to praise every decision Ruger makes.

Ruger has made a lot of dumb decisions over the years which has cost the company a ton of money. To suggest that every move the company has made makes sense is not supportable by fact. I could easily list a half dozen decisions that cost Ruger millions, but I won't unless pressed.

As for the .327, personally I have absolutely no intention of ever buying one. And I certainly wouldn't recommend one to a new shooter, not when the .357 can be purchased in the same package. The .357 is a bigger bullet. It is also easier to acquire. As far as I'm concerned those are the best reasons to buy a .357 over a .327.

For myself though when I buy a Revolver, it's either a .44 or a .45.

maxpress

Buckeye
for those that have shot the .327 what is the report like? i imagine its like shooting a .30 carbine blackhawk LOUD!!
just curious.

mustang99

Single-Sixer
Surveyor, actually no, I don't remember EVER hearing about a recall on 327s. Probably because their never was one.

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
I think the answer has to be because you want one. There are far too many calibers out there to be justified on purely practical terms, but it seems you can find fans of every one that's stayed in production and even some that have died a death.

I have to confess to being really luke warm to new calibers, I always find myself left with a feeling of what's the point? and being cynical I see them as being a marketing ploy to persuade people their current firearms have somehow become obsolete.

Various 32's have been round for years, so I guess the answer is why not? With so many guns and so little time, I just can't think of any reason I need one, based on what I already have and the number of other guns that just seem to be calling my name.

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
maxpress":3uibcaz9 said:
for those that have shot the .327 what is the report like? i imagine its like shooting a .30 carbine blackhawk LOUD!!
just curious.

It is not as loud as a .357 magnum shooting bullets of similar weight. When the SP-101 .327 was announced, a lot of folks started whining about it being too loud, even before anyone outside the factory had ever pulled a trigger on one. I did some testing, found in the review here:

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SP101-327.htm

Also, when testing the new GP-100 and Blackhawk for accuracy, I stood beside the Ransom Rest, and blast and concussion were not a factor. With most magnum handguns, I have to stand behind the machine. Report, recoil, blast, and concussion are not bothersome. As with any handgun, even a .22 Long Rifle, hearing protection is advised, but the .327 is not excessively loud. That is a myth based upon pure speculation, and nothing more.

Mark McWillis

Bearcat
maxpress":3rg9zqdd said:
just curious.

I have 4 .327's. The longest barrel is 5.5". I also have 2 .30 carbine Blackhawks with standard length barrels. The .30's are much louder than any of the .327's, even with the longer barrels.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
Please read the attached stickey:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=46447

According to the stickey, SP101s had cases sticking in chambers, guns deemed danagerous by Ruger, sent in and replaced with guns of a different caliber. I have seen nothing to indicate that SP101 327 are being shipped again. Obviously the SP101 has a problem with this caliber and Ruger has rectified it with large frame guns.

mustang99

Single-Sixer
Yup, there's a sticky. Some people had problems with extraction. Some people were offered a different (caliber) gun because the wait was long for a replacement cylinder. Some people took the other gun, some people waited. Those that waited, got there guns back. They posted, in that sticky, that their guns worked fine once they got them back. Not all posted, but some did. I have heard that SPs in 327 ship out every day.

dixie884

Blackhawk
I have a 16-4 S&W in 32 mag, and have been gathering up the parts to have a stainless K-frame .327 and 32-20 convertable built. That said, even though I doubt I will ever buy one of the just announced Rugers. I am glad to see them, and I don't see how we as shooters or collectors can lose. How many would like to buy a new Hawkeye, or an alloy framed Bearcat. The bearcat was my first real handgun, and my mom had to buy it for me $39.99 plus tax at Sears. I wish I had it back.

surveyor47

Single-Sixer
mustang99":1wdio4ik said:
Yup, there's a sticky. Some people had problems with extraction. Some people were offered a different (caliber) gun because the wait was long for a replacement cylinder. Some people took the other gun, some people waited. Those that waited, got there guns back. They posted, in that sticky, that their guns worked fine once they got them back. Not all posted, but some did. I have heard that SPs in 327 ship out every day.

This makes me suspect that Ruger changed the alloy that the cylinders were made from or that a batch had an off spec alloy when manufactured. The fact that they have gone to a bigger gun and probably greater wall thickness suggests that this round is right on the edge of what is actually technically possible. There had to be some new phenomenon that Ruger didnt expect. We have 357, 41, 44, 480 and 454 Magnums all manufactured in the same basic way. Now this 327 comes along and doesnt work quite the way its bigger brothers work. My bet is that when final reloading data comes out, reloaders will not be able to come close to factory velocity.

There was only 1 327 SP101 ever displayed in my local gunshop and none since it was sold.

peyton

Single-Sixer
Dixie884, you are showing your age there!! My Marlin model 60 was bought at Wards, it is my first rifle and still got it, I will have to ask my mom what it cost in 1965.

. I return from Iraq in March and I hope the ruger is available for me to examine. I had a chance to buy a blackhawk Buckeye in 32-20/32 mag but it was so heavy I thought. Now the 327 with a 32-20 convertible would be great!!
S&W has been slow getting there products in 327 to the market, that is why I plan on converting on of my 16-4 to 327 (dixie84 beat me to the 32 mag cylinder) when I can find a K-frame 32 cylinder.
Ruger has beaten S&W to market, again.

saction

Bearcat
Here's mine... :) I generally loathe the 357 with its noise and such...not so with these 2. and yes I own all 4.

SDC12523.jpg

SDC12536.jpg

SDC12547.jpg

why limit yourself....

writwing

Single-Sixer
Instead of calling it a "recall" Ruger should call it a "modification" or whatever term Glock uses.

I plan on buying the 327 when its in the SP with a two inch barrel or a GP in 3 inch.

I am still waiting for the GP in a 40 somthin.

FED327

Bearcat
I had one of the early, defective (my word) SP101's and while I loved the caliber, the gun I had was a dog...sent it back and when it finally came back, I traded it before I ever opened the return box. (opened it in gun shop), and while I'm done with it for now, I would like to see a LCR in 327. But, after sending email to Ruger, their answer was it was not planned at this time...

Meanwhile, I have moved on and now have returned to my childhood cowboy roots...A Montado 357...Wow, the perfect sized Vaquero. I'm having an inside the waist holster being made for it and it will by my concealed carry gun..can't wait.

MagnumM56

Bearcat
My reason is s simple one-the BH .327 is stainless-impervious to the elements and can shoot the .32 H & R-and yes I have the single sixes in the .32 H & R-including the bisley and also the Smith Model 16. Yet why compromise these by accidentally dropping one or blemishing them in some way-so why not get a regular production stainless revolver that can shoot 4 calibers. I see several single sixes offered on GB and these fetch substantial money. My view is to preserve value of that which I have. Not sure if it sounds crazy or not. To be sure the .327 is a proprietary cartridge and scarce but the revolver is versatile and can chamber other rimmed .32's.

nn

Single-Sixer
surveyor47":182uq8g4 said:
I just checked the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center on the 327. This thing operates at 42,000 PSI.
Actually 45,000