Who was looking for An Alaskan revolver

Help Support Ruger Forum:

luvmyruger

Blackhawk
http://www.gunsamerica.com/983951241/Guns/Pistols/Ruger-Double-Action-Revolver/Redhawk-Type/RUGER_SUPER_REDHAWK_ALASKAN_44_MAG_NEW_KSRH_.htm

Here is one, reasonably priced. I have dealt with this place several times. Very good to deal with.

stantheman86

Buckeye
At this point you would probably save money getting a used .454 SRH and having Mark at Pinnacle trim the barrel.

I don't get this new found "demand" for the .454 Alaskan.......Ruger dropped it due to lack of sales, and now everyone wants one and people are paying $1200 for them........it boggles the mind. I'll bet Ruger comes up with a "run" of them once they catch wind of this new desire for them.......

Bountyhunter

Single-Sixer
Ruger dropped them? Since when? They are still listed. They dropped the 480, not the 44 or the 454, afaik.

I just picked up the 44 and I'm glad I did. I like it. It's a damn fine gun.

stantheman86 said:
At this point you would probably save money getting a used .454 SRH and having Mark at Pinnacle trim the barrel.

I don't get this new found "demand" for the .454 Alaskan.......Ruger dropped it due to lack of sales, and now everyone wants one and people are paying $1200 for them........it boggles the mind. I'll bet Ruger comes up with a "run" of them once they catch wind of this new desire for them.......

the .454 Alaskan is still available from Ruger... :? :? :? :?

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I bought my 454 last year. They dropped the 480 alaskan and I would love to get one. I have 2 guns that shoot 480 and would love to have a alaskan in that cal.

stantheman86

Buckeye
They must have started them up again!

I emailed Ruger this past winter and they said they had no plans at this time to resume .454 Alaskan production.......you never know I guess, or the employee who answers emails doesn't know what's going on.....

The .480 pretty much died on the vine, from what I hear it's a great round that never found a wide following, and was overshadowed by the .460 and .500 S&W for the ridiculously powerful revolver market.

I use my 9.5" .44 SRH for long range target shooting, but I'm getting bit by the "hand cannon" bug and some of the stuff out there makes .44 Mag seem like a "intermediate" round :shock: , recently got an AMT AutoMag IV .50 AE and that thing is more of a hand held rifle than a pistol......

With stuff like .454 and .480 SRH's, who needs a rifle! :lol: Some of the .454 loads are touching the 2,000 ft. lb mark, at the muzzle. That's 500 more than a 7.62x39 and 800 less than a .308. Makes the 1,000 ft. lbs. of the .44 Mag seem weaker, and the 550 of .357 seem like a pop gun.

I'm waiting for the next .480 SRH 9.5" I see at a gun show for $400, there are a few people around here who bought them for handgun deer and bear season, and either gave up on handgun hunting, it was too much gun, or they got something else and want to unload the .480's because there's no "cheap" ammo for them, unlike the .454 which can shoot .45 LC.

chris_

Blackhawk
luvmyruger said:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/983951241/Guns/Pistols/Ruger-Double-Action-Revolver/Redhawk-Type/RUGER_SUPER_REDHAWK_ALASKAN_44_MAG_NEW_KSRH_.htm

Here is one, reasonably priced. I have dealt with this place several times. Very good to deal with.

Sheesh, I'm selling a new one cheaper than that. :D

luvmyruger

Blackhawk
chris_ said:
luvmyruger said:

Great, post a price and listing and you should get some sales.

don44

Hunter
WrenNH said:
Marine24 said:
If only it was in 454 Casull.

Yeah, how could you possibly kill anything with only a 44 Mag? :wink:
I've taken quite a few big game animals with "only" a 44 magnum.... all were one shot kills. No brag just facts.

I don't get this new found "demand" for the .454 Alaskan.......Ruger dropped it due to lack of sales,

No, no, no, no, no!! You can repeat what Ruger "said" as much as you want, that doesn't make it true. Politicians tell us things every day that are demonstrably false but the media duly reports it any way.

Ruger does what Ruger wants to do. God knows why sometimes. It is absolutely untrue that Ruger produced the Alaskans and then couldn't sell them. I frequent a couple of high traffic gun stores in Tulsa and I literally never saw one. Not ever. The owners said they couldn't get them. I wanted a .480 Alaskan as soon as I heard of them and once Jeff reviewed one. I tried ordering them and nobody could get one. Then we heard they had discontinued them in order to produce a five shot version. So I tried to order one of those. For months. And then Ruger "officially discontinued them due to poor sales???!!" How the hell can you have anything OTHER than poor sales if you don't produce them for people to buy???!!

They seem to have produced a lot of them in .44 Mag and those seem to be selling just fine. But you will look long and hard for one in .454. Once again, how can there be poor sales of something that you can't find for sale?!

Sorry for being excited but Ruger really, really annoyed me with this whole Alaskan thing. I'm very happy that I finally got my .480 and I love shooting it. But I should have been able to buy one from a retail store two years ago with no trouble at all.

Gregg

stantheman86

Buckeye
I can relate, I haven't seen a .327 GP100 for sale that I can lay hands on and check out before I buy it........no one stocks them......and I don't know anyone who has one. Where the hell are they all? I don't want to do another GB or Bud's transaction.

The same is true for the 3" GP100's.......demand for them is through the roof but it takes an act of God to find one. I wish Ruger would make enough product so we can just buy what we want.

I can't throw a rock in a gun show without hitting a used S&W .500, but I can't find a 7.5" .454 SRH.

mrbumps

Blackhawk
stantheman86 said:
I can relate, I haven't seen a .327 GP100 for sale that I can lay hands on and check out before I buy it........no one stocks them......and I don't know anyone who has one. Where the hell are they all? I don't want to do another GB or Bud's transaction.

We have a local dealer that has had a GP100 in .327 for over a year sitting on the shelf. I always assumed dealers didn't stock them because they didn't sell. Davidsons has a bunch in stock right now, and on sale.

Marine24

Bearcat
chris_ said:
luvmyruger said:

Chris,

Check your PMs if you have a Alaskan in 454 Casull you are interested in selling.

Mike