Who has a P89X

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Flash

Buckeye
I've been fooling around with my 30 Luger barrel that I bought for my P89 and began to try sizing 9mm Luger brass. Well the neck looks patheticly short but it holds a 110 grain jacketed bullet well enough to feed them properly and they're extremely accurate with a mild load of Red Dot. Just wanted to share.

roylt

Hunter
Pics? I am confused by what you are saying. I am fairly new to guns.

There is a new one on gunbroker right now if you wantthe link just ask. Someone of your talent can probably find it though.

Flash

Buckeye
Talent? Thanks for the compliment but i don't agree with you on that one.
The P89X was one that was offered in 9mm and 30 Luger both with two separate barrels. The 30 Luger is a cartridge that is slightly longer than the 9mm but shoots a 30 caliber (308) bullet as opposed to the 9mm (356) bullet. I haven't any pictures of the rounds yet but the gun is common

November

Single-Sixer
Hey, Flash. I have a 30 Luger barrel, but no P89. I had to make several untested and therefore unsafe mods to make it fit the P94. (which is probably a bad idea). Only thing is, I've never come across any 30 luger ammo so I don't know if it works! :lol:

Flash

Buckeye
Oh my, i hope it works for you. Those barrels often bring over $100.
I've been using 110 gr RNSP's and keep the cartridge length to just allow it to fit down in the magazine. Nice hearing from you again November

Here's the difference:
DSCN0750.jpg

roylt

Hunter
I inherited a P38 that shoots 9mm and in the gun case was a box of Reminton 30 Luger. I knew nothing of guns at the time but this has sparked my memory a bit. Can you shoot the 30 out of a 9mm barrel? As long as the mag would hold the round?

I can figure why the rounds would have been in the cabinet otherwise.

I don't plan on trying it but if someone can set me straight.

Al James

Hunter
Semi-auto pistol cartridges headspace off the case mouth. Therefore you would not want to shoot the 30 in a 9mm because there would be excessive headspace. No good for you or the gun.

roylt

Hunter
Yeah it is too bad, I had my whole life to learn from my Dad and now he has passed. I'll never know why he had these. They'll just sit in the gun case until my Son gets them from me I guess.

Al James

Hunter
roylt said:
Yeah it is too bad, I had my whole life to learn from my Dad and now he has passed. I'll never know why he had these. They'll just sit in the gun case until my Son gets them from me I guess.

Sorry to hear about your father. All you can do is learn in this life and knowing what you do now you can make sure that you spend plenty of time with your son. I always find it interesting where lessons are to be had.

Sounds like you need a P89x! They only made around 5750 of these back in the early 90's IIRC and they are kinda cool. Perhaps your dad had a Luger pistol at one time? Or he went to a ammo selling shop and asked for 9mm luger and someone not too familiar saw Luger and handed him the wrong box. And since there is no returns on ammo they would not take it back. Who knows? Ive been known to buy guns because I somehow ended up with ammo for them. LOL.

roylt

Hunter
When I started looking around at guns etc I found a local FFL that lived just down the street that I never knew was there. Come to find out he has a P85 that he carries all the time and he also would go and visit Mr. Ruger in AZ. He thought the P89X was so interesting he ended up with about 70 of them. Some serial number sets as well. Over the years he has sold off all but 5. He has two sets of serial number sets and one "odd" ball serial number. At the time he told me he was going to get out of the gun business after 40 years it was getting too hard to keep up with all the regulations etc. Plus I think he is ready to retire. He was asking $550 a piece at the time. I didn't see any need for it and really still don't but who knows.

I am trying to get all the P guns in DC only and I don't think the P89X was offered in DC only. Plus I am still cutting my teeth and really don't need any special calibers. Maybe someday but for now pass.

Al James

Hunter
You're correct in that it was only offered in the safety configuration. Thats actually the same reason I have not bought one. Good luck on gathering all of the DC P guns! Theres only 8 models so you should be able to do it for under 2k. Unless you start getting into the niche models like the P89M, P94DL, etc. which will increase the cost quickly.

roylt

Hunter
I only count 6?
P89DC
P90DC
P91DC
P93DC
P94DC
P944DC

What am I missing?

Also what is the P89M? The P94DL isn't on my list. I don't really care about the laser but if one did come up cheap enough maybe.

I do have a police only PP90DC. It was cheap that is the only way I ended up with it. Actually told a buddy of mine to get it and when he passed I scooped it up.

roylt

Hunter
Well there is the poly frame but I am staying away from those.

P345DC
P95DC
P97DC

But that would be 9? What did you mean? 8?

Al James

Hunter
Sorry I didnt know that you were focusing only on the aluminum guns. And I wasnt counting the P94 twice [9 and 40] either way good luck on your collection! Pm me which models that you still need and I will keep you in mind while cruising.

roylt

Hunter
Yeah the only plastic I have is Glock. Plus after I get all the metal Pguns I think the bug will be satisfied.

I actually have a non-DC unit. Found a broken down P85 that I am in the process of bringing back. Sorta like Gary and the P89 project but not as fancy. I am just going to change to a stainless slide and then replace all the rusted parts with good used parts. It won't be perfect but it will complete my simple collection. I don't have any new or perfect guns. The unit that sparked this interest is the best one I have. It is a P89DC that uses the newer mags.

I showed it off to the FFL mentioned earlier and he said I did real good and would consider it extra clean.

I didn't know better at the time, I was just in the right place at the right time with the right amount of cash. HAHA

I have been focusing on the KP's as well. I figure a little easier to take care of that way.

Maybe you know, Did they make a P91 or P93? I have only seen stainless KP's

Al James

Hunter
P91 was only offered as KP91D and KP91DAO. There was a P93D, KP93D, KP93DAO. The P89M that I mentioned was a P93D stamped P89M on the slide. Very Rare [55]!

roylt

Hunter
What do you have in your collection? PM me if you like.

You got the P89M?

Al James

Hunter
No P89M in my collection. Ive never seen one in person. I only know of one collector here that has one. He had 2 at one time and sold off one of them. They are blued. I have focused on the SS [KP]models also. I just like the way they look and wear.

mcw4rosy

Bearcat
I have the Ruger P89M pistol. I've talked with different people regarding parts and they usually tell me "There is no such thing as a Ruger P89M, you must be mistaken." But, I have two of them.

Latest posts