Which shotgun?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

thecube44

Bearcat
Hello, my girl is petite. She almost fell when she fired my Mossberg 500 12 ga.
She didn't really fare well with the .20 ga either. Any suggestions on the right gun?
Thanks

Sam Johnson

Blackhawk
Have you tried a Remington model 1100 in 20 ga. I have a early skeet model, soft shooter.. Also insure the stock fit is right, very important in felt recoil.
Sam

DGW1949

Hunter
Most pumps kick harder than most semi-autos.
Some 20's kick harder than some 12's.
Shotgun kick has more to do with stock-fit, weight and which load is used than it has to do with gauge.
My 98# wife shoots skeet with a Remington 1100 12GA.

Just sayin'.

DGW

Snake45

Hawkeye
She doesn't need a special gun so much as she needs some training.

If you can't find competent shotgun training locally (and it can be hard to find), pick up a copy of Mas Ayoob's book Stressfire II. It'll tell/show almost anyone (especially women) how to shoot a shotgun effectively and nearly painlessly.

Stump Buster

Single-Sixer
#1 on the training and proper fit...if ya haven't seen it yet...Here's a video to motivate ANY shooter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIF3pW_kTuo

Hello,

I would go with a Remington 1100 in 20 ga.

Dependable, reliable and they are out there on the market.

Consider a 28 ga if recoil is still an issue.

I have a 28 skeet model from the late 1960's that is a delight to shoot.

I guess it all depends on what you want to shoot at.

As a Dove gun, it would be fine.

While the gas-operated 20s and 28s have the least recoil, you shouldn't overlook a Red Label 28 if you can find and afford one. Minimal recoil; maximum smack! I'm always just about to lose mine to my wife (unfortunately my shotguns fit her like a glove....).

firecaptain

Single-Sixer
Consider adding a Limbsaver. My 12 yo son didn't like shooting 3" 20 ga turkey loads until I added a limbsaver. $40 and the problem was solved.

thecube44

Bearcat
we shoot skeet. Just started this year. The problem I see is if I buy her a shotgun and she still is uncomfortable, than Im stuck.
I have to find a place that lets you try before you buy. Not many here in NJ!!

Penturner

Bearcat
thecube44 said:
we shoot skeet. Just started this year. The problem I see is if I buy her a shotgun and she still is uncomfortable, than Im stuck.
I have to find a place that lets you try before you buy. Not many here in NJ!!

My wife is also petite 5'1", her shotgun is a REM 870 20 gauge pump; Youth model.

Unless the skeet/trap shooting culture has radically changed in NJ, (I haven't shot at Kenilworth since 1969) try talking to the other shooters. Unless you're talking about an expensive firearm, most shooters will discuss pro's/cons regarding their personal choices, and more than likely let your girl try their guns for a round.

A 20-ga Browning Citori is used by a LOT of women (and guys as well) for their fine handling on the skeet field. My wife loves hers . . . to the extent that she had it "tubed" by Briley for 28-ga and .410 bore.

One nice feature of the Citori (or any similar gun) is that there's no "operating drill" to deal with as in the pump gun or, to a lesser extent, the semi-auto. Open, close, that's it.

JMHO

:)

Skeet shooting is one of my favorite pass times.

I only get to go a few times a year currently.

I own Remington 1100 skeet models in 12/20/28 and 410.

They were handed down to me when my father passed away.

These shotguns were made in 1969 or 1970.

They are outstanding guns for the game and you will not be at a disadvantage.

The Remington 1100 has a great reputation on the Skeet field.

Many records were set back in the day with auto loading shotguns.

I will admit that it seems that most Skeet shooters that I see are shooting the O/U but do not let that stop you.

Advantages: Very light recoil
Dependable operation
Lower price compared to O/U's

Disadvantages: Not an O/U. - Seems like most are shooting O/U's.
You will have to pick up your spent cases.
More cleaning required. Simple and easy but required.

I have a Browning Citori Lighting 20 ga also.

The Remington is a much lighter recoiling gun.

When I take my 70 year father in-law out dove hunting, he has the Rem 1100 in 20. He likes the soft recoil of that gun.

I love that Browning and shoot it a lot during dove season but if I was looking for a low recoil gun for someone starting out in Skeet, it would be the Remington 1100 hands down.

Bill

Fred C Dobbs

Single-Sixer
My advice, even though Double SXS guns can be nice and compact, they just seem to kick harder and like to rear up on you. My guess is not one for you. Get some semi auto. j