Which aftermarket Mag release?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Robert1955

Bearcat
I have come to find out Ruger factory mags have a small indentation on the top right side that helps it get past the mag catch when inserting a mag. Most aftermarket mags do not have this, i.e the much loved 47D's where as the 500 series ETM's do. I can rework the factory catch to ease passage but as simple as they are to replace I was wondering if anyone else has replaced theirs and if so which one did you use?

Brian48

Bearcat
Never noticed any indentation out of the ordinary with the mag release that looked appreciably different from other manufacturers. In any case, I replaced mine with a SS standard size one from Ed Brown. Worked as expected.

Robert1955

Bearcat
The indentation is on the factory Mags, not the release. It's small and not really noticable on the factory mags until you really look at them and compaire them to aftermarkets. I bought some Chip McCormick Power Mags and when I inserted them is when I noticed the drag and ther need for a firmer slap to get them to seat in the pistol.

Brian48

Bearcat
Ah OK. Based on your subject line I thought you were referring to the mag release and not the mag itself. For mags without that indentation, give it time and the mag will eventually wear in. It took a few insertions, but all my CMC mags slide in just fine now. Over the years I've trained my thumb to always apply a little bit pressure on the mag release during reloads anyway so I generally never notice this. It's an issue that will eventually go away. As long as the mag is a reliable feeder, I wouldn't worry about this particular annoyance.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
I've never had an issue with the magazines or the mag release on my SR1911CMD. I've used the Ruger factory mags, Rem R1 factory mags, Colt factory mags, Mec-Gar mags, Metalform mags, and a few mags that I cannot even identify. No problems with any of them.

Robert1955

Bearcat
I don't ave an issue with the factory mags either because they, well Checkmate, put that small indentation on the top lip of their mags. Wilson Combat ETM series and the new Brownells mags do have that indentation, actually theirs are more noticeable than the Rugers. There must be an issue somewhere that's causing newer mag designs to include it. I am glad you have not noticed any issues with your Cmdr, perhaps I just got a bad casting for my release, like the defective front sight post.......

dlidster

Single-Sixer
Check out this thread. This topic was discussed in detail a week or so ago.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=192140

Robert1955

Bearcat
Thanks for pointing me at my own thread :) I was asking about which aftermarket releases people may have switched out to. With the casting issues for the front sights I may slowly replace the factory black bits with aftermarkets, piece by piece, if for no other reason than to tinker and learn more about the platform not just because they are cast parts.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Robert1955 said:
Thanks for pointing me at my own thread :) I was asking about which aftermarket releases people may have switched out to. With the casting issues for the front sights I may slowly replace the factory black bits with aftermarkets, piece by piece, if for no other reason than to tinker and learn more about the platform not just because they are cast parts.

And by the time you're done doing that ... You could have bought a Much better gun .... That's why, with 1911's particularly, if you have in mind doing several mods, you're FAR better off spending the original money, plus your potential mod money ... Upfront ... In the initial purchase. Especially when at a price point just $150-200 more than most people are paying for the SR, you get into a whole better class of guns from virtually EVERY manufacturer.

1911's are one of the few products where when spending a few hundred more than each previous price point, you reap far more in value in terms of upgrades, quality, and accuracy with each step up.

And yeah ... I know all about people wanting to tinker with their guns, and customizing them, and making them ... 'Their own' ... with their very own special little mods. With 1911's ... It just doesn't make monetary sense to do it that way. It's like taking a nice new 4 cylinder Honda Accord LX, and adding all kinds of ricer parts, wheels, and exhaust to it, when you could have just bought the EX V6 in the first place ... For less money.

REV

Robert1955

Bearcat
rev, I have no plans at this point to swap out any parts besides perhaps the Mag release, if I don't end up reworking it to solve the aftermarket mag issue I and several others seem to be having. I like the SR1911 just as it is and I know its not a $3500 Ed Brown or another high end pistol. I selected the Ruger to get into the 1911 family at the lower end of the price line as it was called out by many as a great buy for the price, I got mine for under $650. The front sight issue has me somewhat irked me since it first raised its head over a year ago and I assumed, yes I know...., it was fixed and I would not have that problem. But that said Ruger has been more than accepting of the problems and their CS so far has kept me in the happy camp. btw my first car was a 1955 Chevy with a V8 I bought in 1982, tinkering is in my blood :)

revhigh

Hawkeye
I hear you Robert, and it's your gun and your money to do with as you please.

Just trying to point out some things that may not be immediately obvious to less experienced or new 1911 owners. It's easy to .... As they say .... Put lipstick on a pig ... Gild the Lilly ... Etc etc ... Especially with 1911's, because of the plethora of aftermarket supposed 'drop-in' parts.

1911's are a kind of rare platform in that there are so many unique and well defined price points available. Each offering similar and competitive upgrades over the previous price point, and usually offering the upgrades at significantly less cost when combined, than if you were to do them separately to a lesser price point gun.

Enjoy whatever you choose to do with your gun.

REV

JTQ

Bearcat
I think revhigh's point about 1911's is a good one. The "mod the 1911" subject is always an interesting one.

I suspect most of the guys on the typical gun forum are from the "Glock era" of firearm ownership. Their entire shooting life has been within the timeframe of the "Lego-like" Glock. They live with the understanding that if somebody makes a part for my gun, it will fit right in. Unfortunately, the 1911 is not like the Glock or the AR for that matter. Parts typically don't just drop in to a 1911, and they often require some skill and specialized tools to get them to fit. I've seen it often posted on some of the 1911 forums, that the only drop in parts on a 1911 are springs.

The mag release issue in discussion is a common one. The best and most economical answer is to just slap the mag harder. Most long time 1911 users don't even think about it. Heck, you should see how many guys post with problems trying to seat their new 8 round mags. Slap them in harder, they'll seat. You don't have to pound them, but mags typically don't just slide in to a 1911.

For a mag release, I'd avoid the Colt part, as I believe the problem you are experiencing is a design feature of Colt. You may find it easiest to just file your current mag release to allow smoother insertion of the mag.