when to clean SR9 magazines?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

distortion

Bearcat
Is there any standard length of time or rounds fired before the magazines for an SR9 need to be cleaned? Or is it only if they start malfunctioning? I haven't bothered cleaning mine out yet, just wondering if I should. Let me know what you guys think.

Ski

Bearcat
distortion":2pov2qaz said:
Is there any standard length of time or rounds fired before the magazines for an SR9 need to be cleaned? Or is it only if they start malfunctioning? I haven't bothered cleaning mine out yet, just wondering if I should. Let me know what you guys think.

I usually clean my magazines once or twice a year. I don't compete in the shooting games thus my mags don't see sand or dirt or mud on a regular basis. I they did, I'd be cleaning more often...

distortion

Bearcat
Thanks for the info Ski. I don't compete either, or even go to an outdoor range. Sounds like I'll be good for several more months!

photofree

Bearcat
I find magazines are simple and easy to disassemble. So its rare that I don't at least wipe them down, inside and out after each use. Just to make sure the springs aren't rusting. I also switch them out if loaded more than 6 months. Maybe give them a stretch. I have 30 year old mags that work as well as new. All mechanical items need to be looked after.

fossils and guns

Single-Sixer
I only clean mags once every couple years, and I don't have any problems. They are easy to disassemble though.
I don't keep any loaded; I prefer revolvers for home defense.

RMXC51

Bearcat
How easy are the mags to take apart? Pics? The Canadian ones are half replaced by a giant plastic plug that limits them to 10 rounds.

jhearne

Buckeye
Check my signature to disassemble them, both Pic/Text and also Video How To's.

Clean them as often as you like, there's plenty of opinions as to when and what you should/n't do.

Josh

CanonLyles

Single-Sixer
If I happen to drop one in the dirt I clean mine. Otherwise, I clean them when I do a detail strip and clean on my SR9. I at least wipe them down after shooting each time.

Raminator

Bearcat
photofree":3pavek94 said:
Maybe give them a stretch.

Hyper-extending your magazine springs is not recommended. As a matter of fact, spring wear is actually caused from cycling them, not letting them rest, loaded or unloaded. I have mags that have been loaded for more than a year before shooting and have no problems. The magazines I always end up replacing springs on are ones that get used the most.