What's your opinion on starline brass?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
Howdy

I used to swear by Winchester brass for 44-40 because the brass at the case mouth was just a teeny bit thinner than any other brand. That made Winchester 44-40 brass more forgiving if your rifling called for larger than normal bullets in a tight chamber.

The problem is, Winchester only makes 44-40 brass about once a year. You have to catch it just right to find any.

So I have pretty much changed over to Starline for just about everything I load. Particularly stuff that is not very common. These days I am using Starline for 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 45 Auto Rim, 44-40 and 44 Russian.

Starline is the only outfit making some of that stuff. And once they run out they just make some more. The wait is never very long.

I place my order online and if they are out of stock they send me an e-mail saying so, and a prediction of when it will be back in stock. They always come in sooner than they say, and I get an e-mail as soon as it ships.

That's what you call service. Try getting information like that from anybody else.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Starline is pretty much all I buy. Only exceptions have been if it was out of stock, and I really couldn't wait. Excellent product.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
I've been using Starline brass for mid-power .45-70 loads in my Marlin 1895 for several years now with no problems whatsoever. Good stuff and it happens to be the least expensive too.

AJAX47

Bearcat
I'm thinking of ordering some 44 Special brass but read another review elsewhere that Starline's 44 Spec. needs to be trimmed to uniform the length. That can be a real bummer with 500 cases and a hand operated Forster trimmer.

Has anyone noticed this to be true?

Thanx,

Mark

GLH

Bearcat
Starline is about all I use anymore it's consistent and a very good product. Now if they would just start making 327 magnum brass!
gene

Driftwood Johnson

Blackhawk
I'm thinking of ordering some 44 Special brass but read another review elsewhere that Starline's 44 Spec. needs to be trimmed to uniform the length. That can be a real bummer with 500 cases and a hand operated Forster trimmer.

I have never trimmed a single piece of handgun brass. Winchester, Starline, Remington Peters, CBC, Hornady, 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 45 Auto Rim, 45 ACP, 44-40, 44 Special, or 38 Special.

Rclark

Hunter
I have never trimmed a single piece of handgun brass. Winchester, Starline, Remington Peters, CBC, Hornady, 45 Colt, 45 Schofield, 45 Auto Rim, 45 ACP, 44-40, 44 Special, or 38 Special.
+1 . Same here.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
AJAX47 said:

Hi,

Like some others here, I didn't used to size and trim my new handgun brass. Then I bought some Starline... and my habits changed.

While a few hundred cases is still a job w/ it, a Lee trimmer and an electric drill is somewhat quicker than the little hand lathe trimmers, too.

Rick C

onthehunt

Bearcat
The only time I won't use Starline is when I load .454 Casull. They stick real bad in my SRH when I load them to it's potential. I just received some .44 Special brass from them so I will check on the the trim. I usually never trim my handgun loads except the .454 and 7.62 Tok.

ElrodCod

Single-Sixer
I bought 1000 .45 acp from them when they first started up & couldn't use about 250 of them because the rim thickness was over spec & they wouldn't fit the shell plate of my Dillon 650. I never bought any more but I will try 500 of the Callshot .44 special.

Latest posts