What's your opinion on starline brass?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

old ford

Bearcat
Greetings. I was thinking of buying some new and used starline brass in 357 and 44 mag. Was wondering what everyone thought about it? I usually buy remington and winchester brass. Thanks in advance.

Tellico

Buckeye
I get the most case life from my Starline, second from Winchester and least from R-P. But then thats just me! Also have good results with Federal, but some people do not. As Chuckbuster said unless you know the seller you can not be sure of x fired on used.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I have quite a bit of Starline brass, though much of it's still "reserve" inventory. Experience w/ what I've used so far is that it's as good as any of the other "big name" products.

Won't sing praises that it's any BETTER, though. Starline's the brand that convinced me sizing and trimming new handgun brass should be done just as I'd done w/ new rifle brass for years.

Of the various brands I've used, and bought, only PMC is on my "don't buy again" list. The others have all been pretty similar IME. I load everything "low to medium" most of the time--seldom do I fill it up to "full house" specs. That may help even things out...

Rick C

Ethang

Blackhawk
Love it. I have been reloading the same 50 32 magnum cases to see how long they will last. I am on my 16th loading and no signs of case failure at all yet. I have some 45 Colt brass that was left at the range with a sign saying to scrap only, reloaded 20 times. I took it home and inspected it very well and have reloaded it two more times so far with no signs of failure. YRMV but I have had very good luck with it.

Rclark

Hunter
In .45 Colt, after 15 or so reloads I am starting to have to throw one out here and there due to case mouth splits. Off the top my head I've thrown out 3, so far after 20 or reloads in the case of 100 (I don't mix my cases, each set of 100 stay in same case for easier tracking of case life) .

FYI, I started buying from Starline simply because it was cheaper than buying by the 100 from retail store. Like it, will stick with it.

44shootist

Single-Sixer
My 44 mag Starline works great, my 357mag Starline brass don't, no matter what load I try light or heavy the 357 expands to much and gets stuck in my revolvers cylinder from expantion, I have 357 brass from 5 different lots and have tried 6 different loads all the way down to light cowboy loads, have tryed them in 4 different guns same problem.
I also have Starline brass in 38-40 Win. and it works great.
Think the Starline 357mag is just to small inside causing it to build up pressure.

Rclark

Hunter
Interesting problem with your .357s.... I have been 'lots' of testing recently in .357 and most with Starline brass looking for a good accurate medium load. Have not had any problem with them. Both in my 50th Flattop and BH (which I used for most of the testing). All loads were from 800fps up to 1100fps (6 1/2" barrel). Experienced no sticking.... BTW, I found my load ... 5g of Red Dot following a 158g SWC with standard CCI-300 primer.

Rugerbilly

Bearcat
I have never used Starline brass.
However, I did some research last year on .45 Colt reloading brass, and I read that Hornady brass was supposed to be best.
I bought 100 .45 Colt cases from Midway, and have them reloaded to Ruger hi-power specifications, but have not fired any of them yet.
I will let you all know in around 5 years, :p after a dozen or so reloads, how they stand up to the pressure of 20.5 grains H110 behind 300 grain bullets.

phonejack

Single-Sixer
When I bought a 44 special I ordered brass from them. I knew to resize all of them before reloading. Every piece has been 1st rate.(almost forgot, I have some 38 sp also. same quality)

mattsbox99

Hunter
Rugerbilly said:
I have never used Starline brass.
However, I did some research last year on .45 Colt reloading brass, and I read that Hornady brass was supposed to be best.
I bought 100 .45 Colt cases from Midway, and have them reloaded to Ruger hi-power specifications, but have not fired any of them yet.
I will let you all know in around 5 years, :p after a dozen or so reloads, how they stand up to the pressure of 20.5 grains H110 behind 300 grain bullets.

You'll find the primer pockets get loose after about 3 reloads. No matter the make, I personally prefer to only load BTTW on new cases and step it down from there.

Additionally, that load is too light for H110 and Hodgdon very specifically recommends against loading more the 3% below maximum.
From Hodgdon, for T/C, Ruger BH, and FA ONLY!
300 GR. SPR JFP Hodgdon H110 .451" 1.650" 21.8 1191 26,700 CUP 22.2 1198 30,100 CUP

---

As far as Starline is concerned, its all I use for pistol/revolver cartridges anymore. The price is better than anybody else and its been quality in every cartridge I load for. www.starlinebrass.com has the best prices and free shipping.

44shootist

Single-Sixer
yes I have some of their nickel brass in 44mag. that works real well, been reloaded 3 times now no problems, but the nickel brass I have in 357mag. the nickel kept peeling off in spots, so I orderd 500 plain brass to replace those and tossed them.

Starline told me they don't do any brass plating, it's all sent out for plating and they have no control over a good or bad plating job.