What years did Ruger Blackhawks come with the lock between the grips?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LOBO2

Bearcat
Hello. I'm looking at a Ruger Blackhawk Bisley online that dates to 2004 by serial number. I was wondering if it would have the key lock between the grips?

Thanks!

weaselmeatgravy

Staff member
Probably not. As I recall, the lock came out in 2004 with the intro of the New Vaquero. But I don't think it was incorporated into the Blackhawks right away. And it may not have ever made it into the Bisley models.

EDIT to say: I now recall that the first Blackhawk to use the lock was the 50th Anniversary .357 Mag in 2005.

Last edited:

Timbo23

Plinker and accumulator
As far as I know NO Bisley grip frame revolvers had the lock.

It was only on some single action models that had the black composite grips that allowed you to drill a hole in them so you could lock the main spring without removing the grips.

Any wooden griped single action revolver should NOT have the lock.
Ooops! I forgot about the thinner grip frame that required the laminated wood grips to be relieved on the backside to allow for the lock. So, some of the single actions with wood laminate grips DID have the lock. T23

Last edited:

BULL'S-EYE

Blackhawk
The thankfully short lived lock is easily removed and replaced with a Bearcat hammer strut if it bothers you...And, since they're hidden away under the grip panels, I find them quite easy to just completely ignore altogether.

LOBO2

Bearcat
I assume, but want to make sure, that the Ruger Blackhawk Hunters 7 1/2" in stainless steel did not have the lock? They came out in 2003 I believe.

Timbo23

Plinker and accumulator
I have stainless BH Hunters (both with Hunter and Bisley grips) and neither have the lock.

If I were looking at a BH or New Vaquero that I wanted to buy, the lock wouldn't stop me from buying it. Not in the least, it's just not an issue for me.

As BULL'S-EYE stated in his post, there are ways to get around it or just ignore it all together.

Latest posts