What would you do?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Use the "bucks" for the gun or use them for other gear?

• Find the gun at a lower price at a different shop

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Other...explain in thread

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Use the "bucks" to buy the gun

Votes: 31 86.1%

• Total voters

Aqualung

Blackhawk
All, I have a bit of a quandary here and want some input.

DISCLAIMER: I know I'm over-thinking it, but that's my nature.

I use a credit card that is linked to a big-box sporting goods outfit (we all can pretty much guess who, but I'll leave the name out). Use of the card accrues "bucks", which are used for that outfit's merchandise. So, I use the card a great deal for stuff and have accrued quite a pile of "bucks" (let's say $400 for the sake of discussion).

I have not handled one yet, and probably won't in the near future, but I've got my eye on the MAX-9, which has a retail price of about $500. For the sake of discussion, let's say I like it and want to buy it.

So, here's where my quandary lies:

I know that I'll pay pretty close to full retail price (+ sales tax) at the big-box outfit (it's listed as $469.00 now)...however, I've got $400 in "free" (I know it's not "free", but let's leave that whole discussion out of this, please) money that would bring the theoretical price down to just under $100.

On the other hand, I could probably go to a gun show or a local shop may run a promo sale (as I've had happen...Got a .45 RAP for less than $300 a few years back) and get it for a better price overall...however, that's 100% out of pocket, but then, I'd use the "bucks" for other gear. However, the bottom line is that I'm not going to get a MAX-9 for $100.

I see it working out either way, and am definitely putting too much thought into it, but hey...if I didn't think of stuff like this, I'd be thinking of frivolous stuff, like work and paying utility bills ;)

Thanks.

Aqualung

turd

Buckeye
Use the "bucks" to buy the gun. You aren't out much, and should you decide you don't care for it, you should be able to sell it for more than you "paid" for it. Yeah, I know you bought things to get the "bucks", but if you are at all like me you would have bought those things even if they weren't awarding "bucks". If you bought things just to GET the "bucks", well, let's not go there. :mrgreen:

I'd use the bucks to buy the gun also. It's something more substantial than just miscellaneous gear, which you might not even buy if it wern't for the "free bucks" you have.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
'Free Bucks' no matter what you buy with the bucks you are going to start with a retail price unless they will let you use them on a sale item. You might investigate the 'Free Bucks' some more and see if you can use them on sale items or not. If yes you might want to wait for the gun or whatever you want to go on sale. That way you will be increasing the 'Free Bucks' buying power.

Dan in MI

Staff member
I am in a similar situation. Have a few gifts cards to probably the same store as you. I have an item I want, but at the card store it will be $100-$125 more than I can get at another local store.

Decisions, decisions...

If I had a list of other items I wanted it could be easier to to a totals comparison, but I don't at this time.

I'd use the store "bucks" for things you want or use as the store puts them on sale.
When they have promos on stuff you need use the bucks. Exception to that is if they
time out.
If you want a gun go buy it somewhere at a competitive price.
Dave

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
If you are undecided about a situation, don't do, don't ask. Wait until the decision becomes clear. I find prayer helps.

About buying a gun? Yes, about buying a gun.

Bob Wright

Bear Paw Jack

Hawkeye
Real world. Brand X store, has it on the internet at $469.99. The few places I've even seen one the best price was $450. You are actually out of pocket $70. To me that's the real issue. How much cash do I have to take out of my pocket. Either way you will pay some tax. Goes without saying. I'd go for it. Real life $70 plus tax hurts a whole lot less than $450 plus tax.

k22fan

Blackhawk
Aqualung said:
[...] I have not handled one yet, and probably won't in the near future, but I've got my eye on the MAX-9, which has a retail price of about $500. For the sake of discussion, let's say I like it and want to buy it. [...] Aqualung
You do not want the MAX-9 bad enough to have bothered to handle it and probably won't bother to pick one up in the near future. That's a pretty weak excuse to rid yourself of "bucks" that you'll eventually wish you had when the big box store puts out a used example of gun that you really want at a bargain or a collectable gun that you haven't been able to find for your collection. It happens. The big box store's employees are inconsistent in their knowledge or willingness to step out on a limb and pay what expensive collector pieces are worth. When they buy for less they sell for less. That is if the store is who we all think it is.

Many stores that sell used guns get a bad reputation for high prices because the ones they over paid for accumulate while the ones they bought low sell quickly. Patience grass hopper.

Aqualung

Blackhawk
I realize now I never told this forum what I ended up deciding.

I picked "Use the Bucks" and then some...

Here's my whole MAX-9 setup:
img_1560_b2634235984727164171062ef9a32555432308c0.jpg

All for the out-of-pocket cost of $30.00!

- Got the gun at Cabela's and a case (not shown) with accrued "Cabelas Bucks".
- Got the 3 holsters on Amazon using gift card credits given to me by my boss and Verizon rewards
- Got 4 of the mags (two 10-round and two 12-round) online at Bud's using the Visa gift card I won at the company Holiday party. Other two came with the gun.
- $10 for the Ammo Armor magazine cover (to keep lint fuzzies out of the spare mag while pocket carrying)
- (not shown) $20.00 from ShopRuger for the TalonGrip grip texture "decal". I haven't installed that yet, as I'm not sure how it handles without it. I have them for my American pistols and like them.

So...not a bad haul for $30.

I still have yet to get to the range to break it in and test carry ammo for it. I'll give a range report when I do.

Aqualung

Please do post a range report when you get a chance to test it out. I’d be very curious what you think.

Oh, and by the way, that’s a great setup for just $30! Good job!

Justice B. Swift

Single-Sixer
If this is the big box sporting goods store that I think it is they have now "excluded firearms" from purchase with store "bucks", after having merged with the other bigger box store (now parent company). You may want to check and see.
If they give the OK then I say "go for it"! You use their card to earn a reward. Reward yourself!

Latest posts