what was your first revolver?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mnimrod45

Bearcat
I really wanted a single six but ended up with a Super Blackhawk with a 7.5 inch barrel instead... I was 14 years old and gave dad the money to get it for me at a gun show we were at. It was bigger than I was. I never hit anything with it for many years but made a whole lot of noise...

mnimrod45

bwelch47

Bearcat
SW Model 28 4" barrel. Still have it. Original cost new-$120 with 2 boxes of 357 ammo.

SamV

Buckeye
Although I grew up shooting my parents revolvers, my first revolver purchase was a GP100 about 5 years ago. Its big but it is such a sweet shooter. Picked up a used S and W model 17 a couple of years ago.
And after several decades with my sister I have come to possess my Dad's old Smith and Wessons.

arminius

Bearcat
Mine was an H&R model 504 in 32 mag. I believe that was H&Rs first revolver chambered in the new round. My first real revolver was a Security Six, 4", blued that I bought when they were closing them out. Sold it several years after that. Always lamented that and finally remedied that a few months ago with an almost 100% condition 4" just like the one I sold. It even had the box and store receipts. It gets shot, a lot.

satch

Bearcat
Around 1958 I was walking down the main street in our town and walking past the Cigar Store (a mens hangout in those days) I spotted a Revolver in the front window with a holster. It was a .22 HighStandard Buntline 9 in. barrel. Ask the store owner how much and he said $25. I walked out with it and much to my bad judgement sold it to a fellow worker 10 years later. All most forgot to mention, was 18 at the time,those were the days.

Ditmo

Single-Sixer
Bought my first revolver at Dave Cook's in 1984. An FIE E15 Buffalo Scout, and I think it was $50. Still have it, but I don't shoot it much. Not a very accurate shooter. My first real revolver was a S&W M19 a year later. That one is still a fantastic shooter.

Poco Oso

Buckeye
My first revolver was a Pietta, brass framed 1851 Navy, cap & ball in .44 cal. First cartridge revolver , a Taurus 4" 669CP. After 20 years and many, many rounds down range, I still have both and never had a problem with either one. I was fortunate enough to be in the right place , at the right time recently to become the happy owner of a Lipsey's Blackhawk Flat Top SS convertible. (.45Colt/ACP wearing a 4-5/8 bbl) :D

Blaze

Bearcat
My first revolver (that I purchased) was a used Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag with a 6.5 inch barrel while in college in 1962. Great gun and I wish I still had it.

Donaldjr1969

Blackhawk
Mine was a cap gun that used those ring caps! LOL!! :lol:

Seriously, my first revolver was the Super Redhawk 44 I purchased in November 2010.

Tarheel

Bearcat
H&R 649 - .22/.22 mag, bought with my dad when I was about 16.... looked like a Single Action - loaded like a single action - but was actually a double action revolver...

That was followed up shortly by a Ruger Single Six .22/.22 mag a couple of years later when he bought me and my twin brother each one....

I still have them both.... they'll still be here when I'm gone....

My first centerfire on the other hand was a Rohm .38.... Price not quality was obviously the determining factor on that purchase - I had to take a screwdriver with me every time I went out to shoot.... this purchase was made w/o the benefit of my dad's years of experience...

Needless to say, unlike the two .22s, the Rohm is no longer with me... the lesson only cost me $60.00 - so at least that much was a bargain even if the gun wasn't!!!

TinStarFirearms

Single-Sixer
My first revolver was a Colt New Frontier Scout in .22lr only. It was a gift from my parents and my brother received a convertible Single Six at the same time. We both received leather western holsters as well. I was jealous of his being able to shoot .22magnums and he liked that sound mine made when pulling the hammer back, four clicks!

We had been out shooting one afternoon and had to run home in order to leave on time for football practice. When I got to the house, I saw that my gun had fallen out of my holster. There was no time to go look for it until the next afternoon. I found it lying in the dirt and some rust had already started on the hammer. I fixed it with naval jelly and still have and shoot that gun today. Excellent revolver. That was in 1988.

Andrew

mishtub

Blackhawk
New Model Super BlackHawk .357/9 mm, like a fool gave to a "buddy", haven't seen or heard from him in 35 years.