What to hunt with a single six 22magnum?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

blackbearhunter

Bearcat
What can i hunt with a single six 22magnum?
I already figure crows and single six 22 mag.should make a good trapping gun,,,,is the 22magnum big enough for coyote?
What would you hunt with a 22 magnum six shooter?

flatgate

Hawkeye
Oooo, whee, your AVATAR is WAY TOO BIG.

125 pixels by 125 pixels or I'll ZAP it.

Oh, I already did............

What can you hunt with a .22 mag.? Well....... er, :D

a bigger gun? Sorry, I just couldn't resist. I like .32's for small pest blasting...

flatgate

Though I believe with a well placed shot you could easily drop a whitetail I don't think I would use the .22 mag on anything large enough to eat on me if I missed a 'kill shot'. Groundhogs and down, in size and ferocity, would be my choices.

1mathom1

Bearcat
As a very general rule I think of the .22mag out of my 6 1/2" revolver as having ROUGHLY the same oomph as a .22lr out of my 10/22. Now...keep in mind I cannot HIT as well with a revolver as a scoped rifle but maybe others can.

blackbearhunter

Bearcat
Thanks,this is my first 22magnum..I'am thinking maybe on the big side of small game around these parts...fox/coon/beaver?

Pinecone

Blackhawk
blackbearhunter, I have shot squirrels, porcupines, crows, racoons, beaver, rabbits, and occasional coyotes with my 10/22! Shot placement is the name of the game more than firepower. Your .22 Magnum should be sufficient for these I have mentioned with the "right" hit zone!..................Dick :wink:

Scott

Single-Sixer
squirrels, possum, rabbit are common fare for my 4 5/8" single six. I prefer the .22mag over LR because it's more accurate in my hands. I also prefer the mag. because IF I come across something bigger that "needs" to be shot, I could. I have also euthanized full grown horses/cattle/pigs with it, but wouldn't recommend using it for that purpose on anything other than point-blank range in a controlled situation

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
22 Mag used to be a popular Mtn Lion and BobCat round for houndsmen around here.

I've killed lots of Ground Squirrels, a few Badgers and Raccoons and several Rattlesnakes with mine.

It would be more powerful than necessary for lower 48 trapping - a LR or even a 22 Short would work fine and cause less fur damage.

don44

Hunter
They can be very accurate and the 50 gr. HP by Federal is a good killer for it's size. JMHO

Bucks Owin

Hunter
1mathom1 said:
As a very general rule I think of the .22mag out of my 6 1/2" revolver as having ROUGHLY the same oomph as a .22lr out of my 10/22.

Pretty dang good "very general rule" IMO...

(You ran them both through a chrono didn't you? Me too..:wink:)

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
Bucks Owin said:
1mathom1 said:
As a very general rule I think of the .22mag out of my 6 1/2" revolver as having ROUGHLY the same oomph as a .22lr out of my 10/22.

Pretty dang good "very general rule" IMO...

(You ran them both through a chrono didn't you? Me too..:wink:)

I agree. In my 5 1/2" Single Six, 40 grains WW JHPs get right @ 1300 fps, just a bit over what a HV 22 LR clocks out of a rifle.

LRs get about 950 fps in the Single Six, so the mags make a BIG difference, plus most are jacketed bullets.

Bob G

Single-Sixer
The .22 mag is a "head shot" only round on small game, as far as I'm concerned. I shoot muskrats in my pond with my 10/22 mag. At 75 yards, it blows their guts out their back. I would not hesitate to take a coyote with it. I stuff CCI Maxi-Mag HP+V's into my single six. They are nasty.

Larry from Bend

Single-Sixer
HerrMesser said:
Back when I first got my 6 1/2" I put a scope on it and hunted squirrels with it. I found that CCIs was more accurate than winchesters. Didn't see any other brands of magnums then.

Rad

My 5 1/2" likes 40 grainers --- WW or CCI. I have some 34 grain WW Supremes but haven't tried them yet. I bought some Fiochhi 40 grain JHPs and my Single Six didn't like them at all. Plus, they were slow @ less than 1200 fps and the Extreme Spread was huge.

457ec5a9.jpg

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Larry from Bend said:
My 5 1/2" likes 40 grainers --- WW or CCI. I have some 34 grain WW Supremes but haven't tried them yet. I bought some Fiochhi 40 grain JHPs and my Single Six didn't like them at all. Plus, they were slow @ less than 1200 fps and the Extreme Spread was huge.

My 6.5" OM seems to like PMC well enough. This was first group fired after reaming one hole in LR cylinder to WMR. I'm "kinda" happy with how the 5+1 concept works in my gun. When one carries "Five beans in the wheel" might as well have the hammer down on a WMR chamber...:wink:

(Happily, when sighted POI with 38-40 gr .22 LRHV at 25 yds, it prints the 40 gr mag one inch high at 50 yds...Perfect!)
22WM001.jpg

1mathom1

Bearcat
Larry from Bend said:
HerrMesser said:
Back when I first got my 6 1/2" I put a scope on it and hunted squirrels with it. I found that CCIs was more accurate than winchesters. Didn't see any other brands of magnums then.

Rad

457ec5a9.jpg

Nice revolver.